Lesson Request "shoegazing"
Gitarrero
Nov 21 2009, 08:37 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hello everybody,

today I have a lesson request for a style called "shoegazing". My girlfriend really likes this style, and I come to like it too. It's a nice contrast to all the metal and punk stuff I usually listen to tongue.gif
I believe the best-known song is "just like honey" by "the jesus and mary chain", although other songs make more use of the shoegazing guitar.
Below is a wiki articel about shoegazing and the song "just like honey".
Does anybody else like this style and/or wants to make a lesson about it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 21 2009, 08:58 PM
GMC:er
I had NO idea that behavior had a name! This is great news. Very 80's-teen-angst-romantic-dramady style and I'm so glad someone named it. Excellent.

I second this request, though I suspect we could pull this style off pretty easily.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Nov 21 2009, 09:14 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I suspect so too...
as I mentioned, I came to this music when my girlfriend told me what's it called and played some songs from "The Jesus and Mary Chain" and "My Bloody Valentine" to me. The soundtrack of the movie "lost in translation" is also a great source for this kind of music.
She likes the fact that guitars and voice have the same volume and kinda get lost in each other. I also think that the guitar work isn't that complicated, basically you bash a chord and turn the gain and reverb on your amp to the max. Then add some delay and you've got the dreamy but slightly aggressive "shoegazing" sound. Then again, it's called shoegazing because the guitar players use lots of effects and keep staring at their pedals, which seems to the audience that they are staring at their shoes...So this could be a lesson in setting up your effects.

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 21 2009, 09:20 PM
GMC:er
Oh we were staring down regardless of pedals; we had like NO stage presence during slow numbers like this. My band in highschool played this style almost as much as the angry/punkish/rockish junk. I think we had more followers because of the shoegazing than anything else. The sappy songs attracted the girls, the angry punk songs attracted the guys. Simple recipe.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 21 2009, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Cool, sounds nice. This song has a very simple structure, but a good basic melody.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Nov 21 2009, 09:37 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I'll listen to some of my girlfriends shoegazing-cds now and try to find some typical songs. I came to think of it, there is a bunch of songs with a lot more shoegazing guitar than the one I posted above. But I can't recall them now...

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Nov 21 2009, 09:38 PM

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 21 2009, 10:20 PM
Instructor
that's one big and intense guitar sound,

I just read the wiki and they say they are reinventing it, so now it's a "Nu-gaze" style. biggrin.gif

So if start looking to other places when playing you are not a shoegazer anymore tongue.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:07 AM