Why So Many Studios Use Track Ball Not Mouse?
Todd Simpson
Jan 12 2019, 04:45 AM
GMC:er
You may have noticed, maybe not, that a LOT of Studios have a TRACKBALL instead of a MOUSE for controlling the computer in the studio. Certainly not all. But a LOT of professional studios have a trackball sitting on the console or below the computer monitor. It's usually the same Model as well. It's either one of two Kensington units. Either it's the "EXPERT MOUSE" (the black ball) Attached Image
or the "SLIM BLADE" (Red Ball, which is what I use as it allows you to scroll web pages by simply rotating the ball which is very handy, and the click response requires very little effort thus reducing hand fatigue).
Attached Image
Sometimes it's the wireless variant. These units run about $100 typically. Some consoles have a track ball built in such as in this pic. Which also has a track ball on the computer control stand (expert mouse)
Attached Image
The reason is simple. Performance. Once a user gets used to using the trackball, it's just flat out faster and in a studio time is money. Also, they reduce strain on the wrist which can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome/repetitive stress injury. That's why I first switch to one. I used the computer so much I injured myself. I was practicing too much as well. The trackball helped. As a bonus, I got way faster than I ever was with a mouse. Here is a video about the trackball with some interesting factoids. Anyone else out there a trackball user?

As long as we are on ergo stuff for the studio, here is a new keyboard that is being done through crowd funding for gaming that would be great for a studio imho. I think I'm gonna get one!! IT's a "split" keyboard which reduces hand strain/fatigue. The mouse is more important imho for studio use as we spend more time mousing than we spend typing when working on music. This has some great features on it.

Personally, I've been using a wireless IOGEAR wireless multimedia keyboar for years in my studio. It's got laptop style keys which I find helps with speed/reduces fatigue as the push pressure is very small, and it's got a built in trackball!!! So that If I'm leaning back in my chair and can't quite be bothered to reach up for the big trackball, it's fine. smile.gif These run about $45 on amazonhttps://amzn.to/2VP11gi
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 12 2019, 05:13 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 12 2019, 05:51 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Nice one Todd,

My trusty Logitech MX1000 is just starting to play up occasionally on the left button, I'll be checking out that Slimblade very soon.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 12 2019, 02:17 PM
Last week I was at a friends homestudio and for a moment wanted to take over the mouse for some drum stuff on DAW.

I was shocked noticing the mouse sensitivity was close to zero smile.gif just to go from one corner to the other on the screen, I needed to make 3 slides! I stopped immediately and told him about the risks.

Mouse user adjusted to full speed here, both mac and pc has that option. I use it max, arm never changes position only slight wrist or finger movements. It might be hard to adjust at first but work trying 1-2 days.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 12 2019, 02:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 12 2019, 03:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 12 2019, 02:17 PM) *
Last week I was at a friends homestudio and for a moment wanted to take over the mouse for some drum stuff on DAW.

I was shocked noticing the mouse sensitivity was close to zero smile.gif just to go from one corner to the other on the screen, I needed to make 3 slides! I stopped immediately and told him about the risks.

Mouse user adjusted to full speed here, both mac and pc has that option. I use it max, arm never changes position only slight wrist or finger movements. It might be hard to adjust at first but work trying 1-2 days.

Yup. I can slide across two monitors at about 4-5 cm of moving the mouse if even that much. I can change the speed of the cursor on the mouse by a click of a button on it. It's a cheap mouse even, which allows me a bit more precision at times.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 12 2019, 07:42 PM
Happy to share! smile.gif I LOOOOVVVVEEE The slim blade. Just rotating the ball left/right for scrolling is my fave feature. You can program all the buttons to do whatever you like. I have the right buttons set one single click and left set to right click. Some folks set one button as double click. The action on it is better imho than it's older cousin the expert mouse.
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 12 2019, 12:51 AM) *
Nice one Todd,

My trusty Logitech MX1000 is just starting to play up occasionally on the left button, I'll be checking out that Slimblade very soon.

Cheers

Another killer feature of using a trackball. Don't have to pick up the mouse and put it back down to get across two screens. Or one has to set the mouse very sensitive which makes it hard to control. For a track ball, it's different. You can set the accelleration so that a quick roll goes a long way for the mouse but still maintains control for precise small movements. Another reason you find them in so many pro studios.

Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 12 2019, 10:59 AM) *
Yup. I can slide across two monitors at about 4-5 cm of moving the mouse if even that much. I can change the speed of the cursor on the mouse by a click of a button on it. It's a cheap mouse even, which allows me a bit more precision at times.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 12 2019, 07:43 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 12 2019, 08:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 12 2019, 07:42 PM) *
Happy to share! smile.gif I LOOOOVVVVEEE The slim blade. Just rotating the ball left/right for scrolling is my fave feature. You can program all the buttons to do whatever you like. I have the right buttons set one single click and left set to right click. Some folks set one button as double click. The action on it is better imho than it's older cousin the expert mouse.
Todd

Another killer feature of using a trackball. Don't have to pick up the mouse and put it back down to get across two screens. Or one has to set the mouse very sensitive which makes it hard to control. For a track ball, it's different. You can set the accelleration so that a quick roll goes a long way for the mouse but still maintains control for precise small movements. Another reason you find them in so many pro studios.

Todd

Well, that was my point of my normal mouse. Swiping it about 3 cm on the table takes it from one edge of monitor 1 to the other edge of monitor 2. I have never had to lift it? And as said, by a click of the DPI button that changes the sensitivity. I get that a trackball stays in the same spot, but you'd still need to roll your finger across the ball, surely? I mean, for me that movement is just in the swipe in the wrist moving the mouse 3-5 cm.

Also if I swipe fast across those 3-5 cm on the table, I will get across the whole 2 monitors, but if I move the mouse slowly, I might only get 1/10th across one monitor.

EDIt: Just checked, cause I had essentially forgotten what mouse I was using, and it's not totally cheap, but about 80 dollars.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 12 2019, 08:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 13 2019, 05:41 AM
That works smile.gif The main point of the trackball is the lack of wrist strain. It's an ergonomic device. As musicians, we often over stress our wrists with practice and it can result in repetitive stress injury/carpal tunnel syndrome. Mousing too much can do the same thing.

That's why so many studios have trackballs, not to mention they fit easy on a console, they reduce strain/fatigue on the wrist. A mouse is just harder on the hand/wrist. Some folks never getcarpal tunnel and use a mouse their entire life. I did get carpal from too much practice and switching to the trackball was pretty much required to help reduce wrist strain.

For anyone looking to reduce the strain on their hand/wrist, the trackball is a good plan. But, if one never has any issues, then the mouse is just fine smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 12 2019, 03:28 PM) *
Well, that was my point of my normal mouse. Swiping it about 3 cm on the table takes it from one edge of monitor 1 to the other edge of monitor 2. I have never had to lift it? And as said, by a click of the DPI button that changes the sensitivity. I get that a trackball stays in the same spot, but you'd still need to roll your finger across the ball, surely? I mean, for me that movement is just in the swipe in the wrist moving the mouse 3-5 cm.

Also if I swipe fast across those 3-5 cm on the table, I will get across the whole 2 monitors, but if I move the mouse slowly, I might only get 1/10th across one monitor.

EDIt: Just checked, cause I had essentially forgotten what mouse I was using, and it's not totally cheap, but about 80 dollars.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 13 2019, 01:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
From what I have just looked into, it seems some stress is also generated from having to turn your wrist 90 degrees to land on the keyboard and mouse, when in fact a mouse standing up sideways, for instance a trackball would reduce stress, same as some companies have made vertical keyboards smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 13 2019, 09:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This looks a good alternative, not cheap though.

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/mx-e...ll-mouse?crid=7

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2019, 01:30 AM
Very true. Which is why many split keyboards have little elevator / risers that push them up in the middle to slant outward and many broken keyboards rise in the middle, like the microsoft version as part of the design. It reduces strain. As musicians, we mouse more than we type typically which is probably why you don't see many split keyboards in studios, you mostly see the chiclet key macintosh keyboards which use laptop style keys and have very sensitive key action which requires very little hand pressure and thus reduces strain.
You can get a vertical mouse and vertical keyboard. Though I've never needed to take it that far. The trackball seemed to reduce strain enough not to irritate my carpal tunnel. Switching to laptop style keys on my keyboards also helped.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 13 2019, 08:29 AM) *
From what I have just looked into, it seems some stress is also generated from having to turn your wrist 90 degrees to land on the keyboard and mouse, when in fact a mouse standing up sideways, for instance a trackball would reduce stress, same as some companies have made vertical keyboards smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 17 2019, 12:18 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Just added this one to the wiki smile.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...udio_Ergonomics

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2019, 04:05 AM
Looks great!! Many thanks Fran!! smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Fran @ Jan 17 2019, 07:18 AM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:53 AM