> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 158 159 160 161 >  
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 11 2022, 02:28 AM
Instructor
Cool mate! Go for it, it's a very nice lesson to play.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 11 2022, 09:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hola Gab,

Working on everything wink.gif

Learning that C major scale with open strings from the songwriting essentials course, feels odd to play with open strings, I've never done it really other than chords.

I'm trying to get back with the Southern Rock lesson. I had my tone knob turned up too much on these takes, I didn't realise until I played it back so next time I'll back it off a bit. I don't think it's too bad considering I've not been playing much lately. What do you think?

Here is me panned right with the instructor at 82bpm (Lesson is 88bpm)

Here is me and just the backing.

Saludos amigo.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 12 2022, 01:50 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 12 2022, 01:14 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! How is everything? I'm so glad I found this post as it's been a while since I heard you play the guitar!

The truth is that this shot is not bad at all, on the contrary, the magic is still intact. My previous comments apply to this new version. Both your sound and your performance sound very good, and little by little the bending is also improving. It's only a matter of time before you can play this lesson perfectly.

Some details to keep in mind...

- The chord section right after the arpeggios at the beginning sounds a bit rushed.
- At 00:24, the first bending does not reach the desired note but the following ones do. The second stretch sounds a bit rushed too.
- Great dynamics and feel at 00:28!
- Polish the lick at 00:32.

That's all for now, best regards!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Apr 12 2022, 01:35 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 12 2022, 01:27 PM
Gracias amigo

All good thanks, como estas?
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 12 2022, 12:14 PM) *
it's been a while since I heard you play the guitar!

It's been a while since I played properly instead of noodling rolleyes.gif

I think that first unison bend is difficult due to being nearer the headstock, more strength needed.

I'll work on the rest. I was quite happy with how it sounded when I rendered it with the instructor, not a million miles away.

Nos hablamos amigo

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 12 2022, 01:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 13 2022, 01:23 PM
Instructor
Yes! You are getting closer! smile.gif

Have you started with the other lesson?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 13 2022, 02:27 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 13 2022, 12:23 PM) *
Have you started with the other lesson?

Si amigo,

I made a start but am also starting on the song writing essentials. I'm getting my mojo back slowly wink.gif

I will discuss with you about how to get the most from each section of the song writing essentials course, I guess we can work through each part, and create examples based on what was learnt in any particular section before moving on.

Saludos

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 13 2022, 08:54 PM
Hola Gab,

Further to my above post,

I'm now learning the chords in the key of C. I now understand a bit more about chords.

I need to re-learn my open chords, also, I've never played F as a barre chord, it's easier than the open version.

I need to practise the changes too.

It was very interesting to see the various progressions but always using the root chord to start and the iv or v to end but you can throw any of the others in between.

Thanks for a great course buddy.

Nos hablamos.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 14 2022, 08:51 PM
Hola amigo,

Further to my posts above, tonight I managed to get to full speed on the southern rock lesson. I know it's scruffy, I know the bends are off, 0:23 needs polishing and 0:36-0:39 needs a lot of polishing as well as the whole thing needs the creases ironing out BUT, I had to challenge myself at the faster speed. Even those 4bpm is a noticeable difference, it makes everything harder to fit in. I do feel that i'm getting there though. I'll continue to work at the 82bpm and also the 88bpm.

This take was recorded without the instructor playing at the same time, I added the instructor afterwards for comparison.

Still practising the chords in the key of C.

Got the first few bars of Mellow Ballad into my fingers though not at speed wink.gif

I'm down at my holiday home until Monday. but will still practise smile.gif

Nos hablamos amigo

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 14 2022, 08:56 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2022, 08:35 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! How is everything?

I'm moving to a new apartment so I have two weeks that are going to be crazy. I'm sorry for answering delay.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 13 2022, 10:27 AM) *
Si amigo,

I made a start but am also starting on the song writing essentials. I'm getting my mojo back slowly wink.gif

I will discuss with you about how to get the most from each section of the song writing essentials course, I guess we can work through each part, and create examples based on what was learnt in any particular section before moving on.

Saludos

I'm glad to hear you're going to work on that course. I think it's fantastic that we work on it here and that you share exercises applying the concepts learned. Let's go for it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2022, 09:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 14 2022, 04:51 PM) *
Hola amigo,

Further to my posts above, tonight I managed to get to full speed on the southern rock lesson. I know it's scruffy, I know the bends are off, 0:23 needs polishing and 0:36-0:39 needs a lot of polishing as well as the whole thing needs the creases ironing out BUT, I had to challenge myself at the faster speed. Even those 4bpm is a noticeable difference, it makes everything harder to fit in. I do feel that i'm getting there though. I'll continue to work at the 82bpm and also the 88bpm.

This take was recorded without the instructor playing at the same time, I added the instructor afterwards for comparison.

Still practising the chords in the key of C.

Got the first few bars of Mellow Ballad into my fingers though not at speed wink.gif

I'm down at my holiday home until Monday. but will still practise smile.gif

Nos hablamos amigo

Nice to hear you playing this one again! I think you already maintain a good level and tone when playing this lesson. You still need to adjust the pitch of your bending, but maybe it's a little better.

Do you remember the Joe Satriani bending exercise that I shared with you a long time ago? I think it's time to go back to that.

in fact, it is an exercise that should accompany you throughout your life. In this case, you would ideally apply it to the bends used in this lesson.

Well, I hope to hear some examples of you applying what you're learning in the songwriting course, and also a take on the Mellow Solo. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 18 2022, 09:51 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 18 2022, 08:34 PM) *
Do you remember the Joe Satriani bending exercise that I shared with you a long time ago? I think it's time to go back to that.

Thanks Gab,

I do remember it, I'll go back to it. I don't think the single bends are too far off, it's the unison bends that I struggle with, in particular that first one nearest the headstock and the extra bpm makes it harder too.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 18 2022, 08:34 PM) *
Well, I hope to hear some examples of you applying what you're learning in the song writing course, and also a take on the Mellow Solo. smile.gif

I'll work on it, I've been up and down with motivation lately. I think where I've failed in courses before it's just doing the course and not applying what I've learnt to anything. I'll milk each section as much as possible and take my time over some months to work through the course.

Nos hablamos amigo

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 19 2022, 07:41 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 19 2022, 01:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 18 2022, 05:51 PM) *
I'll work on it, I've been up and down with motivation lately. I think where I've failed in courses before it's just doing the course and not applying what I've learnt to anything. I'll milk each section as much as possible and take my time over some months to work through the course.

Yes, this is the most important thing. Otherwise, it is difficult to remember the concepts and be able to use them. On the one hand you can apply them in your own compositions, and on the other hand you can use them to analyze songs that you like to see how these concepts apply.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 19 2022, 09:16 PM
I'm going to do the song writing course slowly to let it soak into my brain. When I don't have much time I'll only be working on polishing the Southern Rock lesson and learning the Mellow Ballad.

Don't worry about slow replies buddy, you gotta get your apartment sorted and ready for a new start in the next chapter of your life and I wish you all the best with it and a very happy future in it with your beautiful new wife.

Saludos amigo.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 20 2022, 09:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 20 2022, 06:24 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thank you for the update and for the well wishes.

I think your practice plan sounds great. Do you have any plans regarding your relaxing music musical project?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 20 2022, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 20 2022, 05:24 PM) *
Do you have any plans regarding your relaxing music musical project?

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew there's too be honest, particularly with the limited time that I have.

Maybe once I've picked some things up from the song writing course I can get back into it. I have lots of ideas but can't get them out of my head and into my fingers.

Saludos amigo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 24 2022, 09:07 PM
Hola Gab,

Como estas?

I've just posted this because I am amazed at the human brain. I don't want any critique on the playing, as you know I'm up and down at the moment with one thing and another but what amazes me is how we can play at different speeds and still keep pretty much in time.

I'm not saying I have the timing of a robot but I played this with no instructor there for a guide and when I played back with the instructor I was amazed that I was anywhere even close to him with the timing. Is this indicating anything with my progress or is it just one of those things that the brain does?

This was at 75bpm, lesson is at 88bpm, there are a couple of incorrect notes in there but I'd been driving for four hours so I was tired wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 25 2022, 07:34 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2022, 01:56 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 20 2022, 05:36 PM) *
I think I've bitten off more than I can chew there's too be honest, particularly with the limited time that I have.

Maybe once I've picked some things up from the song writing course I can get back into it. I have lots of ideas but can't get them out of my head and into my fingers.

Saludos amigo

You don't need to force it. It will appear naturally if you sit down to create. Maybe you can do an exercise similar to the creativity workout. Choose a photo that moves you and put it to music.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 24 2022, 05:07 PM) *
Hola Gab,

Como estas?

I've just posted this because I am amazed at the human brain. I don't want any critique on the playing, as you know I'm up and down at the moment with one thing and another but what amazes me is how we can play at different speeds and still keep pretty much in time.

I'm not saying I have the timing of a robot but I played this with no instructor there for a guide and when I played back with the instructor I was amazed that I was anywhere even close to him with the timing. Is this indicating anything with my progress or is it just one of those things that the brain does?

This was at 75bpm, lesson is at 88bpm, there are a couple of incorrect notes in there but I'd been driving for four hours so I was tired wink.gif

Very well! I think this shot shows important progress. I had already told you that you sounded very good in many aspects but in this take I notice a mental relaxation, as if you are not forcing yourself to sound perfect and that makes it sound better, with a better feeling, and curiously more precise. Apart from some pitch issues (bending), the take is very enjoyable. This is the way! Today I saw a video of Victor Wooten in which he said that he never practiced the bass, he always played it. I think that in this take you are playing the guitar, not practicing, and that is perceived.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 25 2022, 03:04 PM
Hola Gab,

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 25 2022, 01:56 PM) *
You don't need to force it. It will appear naturally if you sit down to create. Maybe you can do an exercise similar to the creativity workout. Choose a photo that moves you and put it to music.

That's a very good idea, I will try that once my motivation is back 100%

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 25 2022, 01:56 PM) *
Very well! I think this shot shows important progress. I had already told you that you sounded very good in many aspects but in this take I notice a mental relaxation, as if you are not forcing yourself to sound perfect and that makes it sound better, with a better feeling, and curiously more precise. Apart from some pitch issues (bending), the take is very enjoyable. This is the way! Today I saw a video of Victor Wooten in which he said that he never practiced the bass, he always played it. I think that in this take you are playing the guitar, not practicing, and that is perceived.

In that moment, I didn't care about execution, I read one of your comments somewhere about "the groove", you told the student to practise at a higher speed and that when he came back to tempo, he would have more groove.

This made me realise that if one is struggling/not comfortable at a certain bpm, they will never have the groove because they won't be relaxed so I decided to try an master the lesson slowly, not constantly pushing the boundaries of tempo, get fully comfortable before moving the bpm up.

You are correct, I was relaxed because I wasn't trying to impress as I didn't intend to actually publish it here on GMC but once I realised that the timing was pretty good without the instructor to guide me, I wanted to talk about how the brain manages that kind of thing. The actual mathematics involved (involuntary of course) is immense. It's like watching snooker players, the trigonometry they are doing without realising is pretty complicated.

Saludos

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 25 2022, 07:57 PM
Hola Gab,

Here is a take from tonight, 78bpm.

I'm not happy with the chord section (00:10-00:13) nor am I happy with the unison bends, I will dedicate time to them and also the first part after the unison bends (00:22-00:27).

I will go and study the lesson some more to hear why the chords sound incorrect.

And bars 1-11 of the Mellow Rock Ballad at 60BPM. I need to add ornaments and the palm mute on the first notes isn't good.

Saludos amigo

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 25 2022, 08:53 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 27 2022, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! How are you?

I think it would be good if you continue with that way of practicing that is more relaxed and probably more enjoyable. This may also help maintain motivation as your mind will begin to understand that playing time is to enjoy and have a good time.

I'm so glad you've already started on the Mellow Solo! Someday you'll be able to send your take to Andre, I think he'll be proud! smile.gif

It is true that details are missing but the tempo and pitch sound excellent. This is very promising. I don't remember hearing you play something so "Satrianesque".

Keep it up!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 158 159 160 161 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:02 PM