2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Headphone Purchase
Phil66
Aug 14 2016, 12:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I'm thinking of getting some headphones for plugging into my Scarlett, I won't use them all the time (I actually hate headphones laugh.gif ) just if I get up early at the weekends and don't want to disturb my wife or if it's too hot and I need the windows open (don't want to spoil the neighbours bbq wink.gif )

Thinking of getting these http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/best-audio-hea...reo-hifi-hd-600

This review sold them to me really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-2w0vlmhk8

They are currently £219 at the moment on Amazon that's 41% saving smile.gif

Is it worth even looking at anything else? This is just over my budget but the extra £19 seems worth it.

What do you think?

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 14 2016, 02:04 PM
GMC:er
Never tested these. But Sennheiser is always a good choice and yours look really great as well. I was testing some headphones lately and was really digging SHURE SRH840. It is lower than ur budget but maybe worth looking into.

200 Pounds are quite a lot for Sunday mornings only tongue.gif

Tim

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 14 2016, 03:11 PM
Cool! I'm sure you'll find it useful smile.gif

The HD600 is like the pro-standard among many (usually mastering) studios.

Its only critisized for not having much bass responce, thats why they released the hd650 but many found its bass hyped and lacked the detail of the HD600. I never had the chance to try it but I'd expect uncolored good detail.

Another comment is weather if it needs a headphone amp or not, most recommend buying one (even if not so expensive) instead of using soundcard-like headphones. I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near being unusable but with such a detailed headphone I'm certain a difference in an amp would be very noticable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 14 2016, 03:13 PM
Sennheiser is always a good choice. I have a pair (diff model) that I like a lot and have used for several years now. The head band is getting loose now and I will need a new set relatively soon.
I'm looking at these Audio-Technica's ... http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphon...aff89488ddd6b1/
Review - http://www.wired.com/2015/07/review-audio-technica-ath-m50x/

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Aug 14 2016, 05:59 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I use HD600's. I highly recommend them. Nice stereo imaging and great frequency response make them a good choice for mixing. If you're looking for an alternative, consider the Beyerdynamic DT880.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 14 2016, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your input folks, Rammikin, do you think I'll need a seperate headphone amp or will the headphone amp in my Scarlett 18i8 be ok?

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:

I just ordered them smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 14 2016, 09:11 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 14 2016, 09:24 PM
Great! Let us know whether they are worth the invest smile.gif Still need some new ones as well;)

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 14 2016, 10:34 PM
To be honest I've read loads of reviews today and it seems like they can't be beat. Some others beat them in certain areas but fall far short in others.

Phil

QUOTE (Roadside @ Aug 14 2016, 09:24 PM) *
Great! Let us know whether they are worth the invest smile.gif Still need some new ones as well;)

Enjoy!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Aug 15 2016, 01:27 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 14 2016, 06:42 PM) *
Thanks for your input folks, Rammikin, do you think I'll need a seperate headphone amp or will the headphone amp in my Scarlett 18i8 be ok?

I don't use a headphone amp with them. I just plug them direct into my passive mixer. I've had a lot of headphones over the years for those times when I can't blast my monitors, just like you. These HD600's are the best for mixing that I know of. The frequency response is great. And they don't fatigue my ears during long sessions like some others do. so I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

Like it says in the video, the box is over the top

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 15 2016, 12:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
I just thought of one "problem". I don't know if you've thought about this, but I think the Hd600s are open headphones, right? You said you wanted to be able to practice without disturbing your wife, but with open headphones, won't there still be some sound coming out? As opposed to closed headphones?

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2016, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 15 2016, 12:29 PM) *
I just thought of one "problem". I don't know if you've thought about this, but I think the Hd600s are open headphones, right? You said you wanted to be able to practice without disturbing your wife, but with open headphones, won't there still be some sound coming out? As opposed to closed headphones?

Thanks for the input Ben,
She will be in another room asleep so I don't think the sound leak will affect her wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 15 2016, 03:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 15 2016, 03:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 15 2016, 04:12 PM) *
Thanks for the input Ben,
She will be in another room asleep so I don't the the sound leak will affect her wink.gif

That's good, and I suppose it won't be a problem then smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2016, 07:44 PM
Those are really nice cans. You'll be happy with them IMHO smile.gif The will probably let you hear things in the bass region that you didn't realize were even happening in your mix. For not disturbing folks with loud monitors, good cans are wonderful smile.gif Make sure to check the mix on your monitors too of course. You may notice that any given mix sounds vastly different. This is normal. Headphones (nice ones) have a very wide range of sound. More so than most desktop monitors (with 8 inch or smaller woofers).

Todd

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 20 2016, 09:23 PM
Ok,

I have to admit, I bottled it and didn't buy them, I actually ordered them then got an email saying they would be delayed by 10 days so I cancelled them, I obviously wasn't sure about them. I've just ordered them again now though and they will be hear on Wednesday smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 20 2016, 09:24 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2016, 09:34 PM
CONGRATS! Those are a fine pair of cans smile.gif You can probably get by without the headphone amp, but if you run across some extra cash, having a nice dedicated headphone amp is never a bad thing IMHO smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 14 2016, 02:42 PM) *

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:

I just ordered them smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Nov 20 2016, 11:04 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 20 2016, 08:23 PM) *
Ok,

I have to admit, I bottled it and didn't buy them, I actually ordered them then got an email saying they would be delayed by 10 days so I cancelled them, I obviously wasn't sure about them. I've just ordered them again now though and they will be hear on Wednesday smile.gif

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be happy with them. My opinion hasn't changed since August. I still think hd600s are the best headphones you can buy for mixing and playing guitar.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 23 2016, 09:15 PM
All I can say is WOW!!!!!! blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif These headphones are amazing. I now know why I've never liked headphones. I've never had a really good set.

Amazing. If you really want to test your equipment get THIS if you're in the States, in Europe it is available HERE. It has various tracks to highlight flaws in your equipment like sibilance, transient attack etc. The music it pretty varied too. Another good album to test it Stevie Ray Vaughan, Couldn't Stand The Weather. It was a hi-fi demo standard for many many years as it isn't over produced, it's a sonic masterpiece, captures the instruments really well.

Very pleased with this purchase. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 24 2016, 10:23 PM
Glad you liked it smile.gif

After enjoying music and getting used to its vibe, try using it for matching tone to a backing track as it'll probably be easier than listening through speakers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 24 2016, 11:37 PM
Yeah they already are, I've started using my GT100 in manual know with four cable

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 26 2016, 09:17 PM
A good pair of "cans", just like a good pair of Monitors, really can make all the difference smile.gif Here is a link to a bunch of classical stuff in lossless high res as well. Free to grab. It's all in FLAC so you may need to convert it if you can't play flac files.

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 24 2016, 06:37 PM) *
Yeah they already are, I've started using my GT100 in manual know with four cable

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 26 2016, 09:19 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:34 AM