Studio Computer?
Qenzoz
Dec 12 2012, 03:53 PM
GMC:er
'Ello, I am currently in the process of maybe starting to build my own little studio, but I want to make my PC really great for it. So I was wondering what are the things I need to focus on? I will get an SSD sooner or later, but besides that what really matters in a PC to make it great for studio use?

Cheers & thanks in advance.

Tobias

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
llibach
Dec 20 2012, 10:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
This is great advice guys, I'm currently looking to get a new computer at the start of the year. Been using a PC for years but have been offered a used 18 month old mac from a good friend at a bargain price, seems like the best way to go. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by llibach: Dec 20 2012, 10:50 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2012, 11:58 PM
I've been using both over the years and I must say (without trying to sound like a fanboy) I really do dig my little iMac for audio/video work. LOGIC is really good DAW and a pretty killer deal in general. REAPER runs very smooth also. I don't run PRO TOOLS but folks who do say it runs smooth on MAC OS.

What type of Mac are you getting BTW?

Todd

Attached Image
QUOTE (llibach @ Dec 20 2012, 04:49 PM) *
This is great advice guys, I'm currently looking to get a new computer at the start of the year. Been using a PC for years but have been offered a used 18 month old mac from a good friend at a bargain price, seems like the best way to go. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 21 2012, 12:09 AM

+Quote Post
llibach
Dec 21 2012, 12:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 20 2012, 10:58 PM) *
I've been using both over the years and I must say (without trying to sound like a fanboy) I really do dig my little iMac for audio/video work. LOGIC is really good DAW and a pretty killer deal in general. REAPER runs very smooth also. I don't run PRO TOOLS but folks who do say it runs smooth on MAC OS.

What type of Mac are you getting BTW?

Todd

Attached Image

IMac 21.5 is what he's told me. It's ready for me as soon as I get my cash together. He's just bought the new ultra slim version so he's letting the other one go, and for a decent price too.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2012, 04:43 AM
Cool smile.gif The 21 is a fine unit. Is it a DUAL CORE? Ask him how much RAM is on it as well. Ram is CHEAP!!! So no matter what its fine. Once you get it, take it up to 8GB of ram as soon as you can wink.gif It will make WADS of difference. I"m running 8 GB and it was a MASSIVE increase in the rigs performance when I upped it from 4 GB.

Todd

QUOTE (llibach @ Dec 20 2012, 06:27 PM) *
IMac 21.5 is what he's told me. It's ready for me as soon as I get my cash together. He's just bought the new ultra slim version so he's letting the other one go, and for a decent price too.

+Quote Post
llibach
Dec 26 2012, 03:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 21 2012, 03:43 AM) *
Cool smile.gif The 21 is a fine unit. Is it a DUAL CORE? Ask him how much RAM is on it as well. Ram is CHEAP!!! So no matter what its fine. Once you get it, take it up to 8GB of ram as soon as you can wink.gif It will make WADS of difference. I"m running 8 GB and it was a MASSIVE increase in the rigs performance when I upped it from 4 GB.

Todd

It is dual core I think and it's 4 GB so enough for me to begin with anyway. I've got reaper and amplitube but have been struggling with getting a good set up since my computer is old so first thing is to get a good audio interface I think, do you have any suggestions? and maybe to get a better soundcard (don't know what the standard one in the Mac is like). Then hook it up to my wharfdale stereo speakers.
That's another thing I was wondering, I've got a seperate stereo system would it be any use running through the amp on that system to get a better quality?

This post has been edited by llibach: Dec 26 2012, 03:29 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 26 2012, 11:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Dec 26 2012, 03:28 PM) *
It is dual core I think and it's 4 GB so enough for me to begin with anyway. I've got reaper and amplitube but have been struggling with getting a good set up since my computer is old so first thing is to get a good audio interface I think, do you have any suggestions? and maybe to get a better soundcard (don't know what the standard one in the Mac is like). Then hook it up to my wharfdale stereo speakers.
That's another thing I was wondering, I've got a seperate stereo system would it be any use running through the amp on that system to get a better quality?

I have a Mac with 4 GB - it works well for music I have produced on it (check my signature). Some projects were really demanding with lots of VSTs, tracks etc. I think its a very good platform and quality of Macs is just great!

One detail : audio interface and sound card are 1 same thing. With Mac you'll need to go external (USB or Firewire) and the audio interface you get will allow you to use it for everything on the computer (listening to music, recording, playing games smile.gif ).

Cheaper options that work decent are POD Studio GX, UX1 and also any newer interface from M-Audio, Focusrite will do well.

If you have a separate system (amp+speakers) and you wish you use those specific speakers, you can easily connect output from your audio interface to the amp of the sound system. Quality will be as good as the weakest link in the setup smile.gif

If you have some other speakers, like powered monitor speakers (KRK Rokit5 etc) - it would make sense to skip the "hi-fi audio system amp" as you don't need it (in this case it would just ruin the quality of the sound).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 14 2013, 11:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 26 2012, 10:36 PM) *
I have a Mac with 4 GB - it works well for music I have produced on it (check my signature). Some projects were really demanding with lots of VSTs, tracks etc. I think its a very good platform and quality of Macs is just great!

One detail : audio interface and sound card are 1 same thing. With Mac you'll need to go external (USB or Firewire) and the audio interface you get will allow you to use it for everything on the computer (listening to music, recording, playing games smile.gif ).

Cheaper options that work decent are POD Studio GX, UX1 and also any newer interface from M-Audio, Focusrite will do well.

If you have a separate system (amp+speakers) and you wish you use those specific speakers, you can easily connect output from your audio interface to the amp of the sound system. Quality will be as good as the weakest link in the setup smile.gif

If you have some other speakers, like powered monitor speakers (KRK Rokit5 etc) - it would make sense to skip the "hi-fi audio system amp" as you don't need it (in this case it would just ruin the quality of the sound).

So I finally bought the mac and I got to say first impressions are awesome. Gonna get a presonus audio box to use with it too. Would you recommend buying a pair of studio monitors and not go through the separate amp on my stereo then? would that give me a better sound quality? Was thinking of the Tannoy reveal 501a if that was the case.

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 15 2013, 03:00 AM
QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 14 2013, 10:07 PM) *
So I finally bought the mac and I got to say first impressions are awesome. Gonna get a presonus audio box to use with it too. Would you recommend buying a pair of studio monitors and not go through the separate amp on my stereo then? would that give me a better sound quality? Was thinking of the Tannoy reveal 501a if that was the case.

I can't personally speak for the Tannoy's but, using the best set of monitors you can afford will give you the "truest" soud. As the saying goes "what your speakers are good at, your mixes will be bad at."

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Qenzoz   Studio Computer?   Dec 12 2012, 03:53 PM
- - tonymiro   In short how quiet it is, how fast it is and how w...   Dec 12 2012, 04:24 PM
|- - Qenzoz   Thanks for your answer! , I found some of thos...   Dec 13 2012, 04:59 AM
nnn
- - PosterBoy   I'm not sure if this will help you but I'm...   Dec 13 2012, 09:20 AM
- - ztevie   There are a few things to consider here... What D...   Dec 13 2012, 09:42 AM
- - ConnorGilks   If you're willing to go with a Mac, a Mac Mini...   Dec 16 2012, 10:36 AM
|- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 16 2012, 10:36 A...   Dec 16 2012, 05:10 PM
||- - Todd Simpson   BINGO!! You can run windows, Mac OS, Linu...   Dec 20 2012, 02:20 AM
||- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 16 2012, 04:1...   Dec 20 2012, 10:12 AM
||- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 20 2012, 10:12 AM) ...   Dec 20 2012, 10:25 AM
|||- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 20 2012, 09:2...   Dec 20 2012, 03:15 PM
nnn
||- - Todd Simpson   You don't have to run the emulator of course. ...   Dec 20 2012, 07:59 PM
nnn
nnn
|- - Todd Simpson   It always come back to the money The good news is...   Jan 31 2013, 04:58 AM
nnn
|- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 26 2012, 10:3...   Dec 27 2012, 11:04 AM
|- - tonymiro   QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 14 2013, 10:07 PM) ....   Jan 15 2013, 09:57 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - PosterBoy   After selling my amp last night I'm almost at ...   Dec 31 2012, 03:34 PM
|- - SpaseMoonkey   QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 31 2012, 09:34 AM)...   Dec 31 2012, 09:01 PM
nnn
- - ConnorGilks   QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 15 2013, 02:00 AM) ...   Jan 15 2013, 10:23 AM
- - tonymiro   No monitor is perfectly flat, transparent and neut...   Jan 15 2013, 10:38 AM
|- - llibach   QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 15 2013, 09:38 AM) ...   Jan 15 2013, 06:54 PM
nnn
- - ConnorGilks   QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 15 2013, 09:38 AM) ...   Jan 26 2013, 03:27 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:03 PM