Starting Again After A Pause Of 1,5 Year And Lack Of Motivation
Stef
Aug 18 2018, 02:43 PM
GMC:er
Hello, my name is Stephane, from Belgium.
I'm 51, started to play guitar since around 15 years now, but my main problem has always been to keep practicing and stay motivated (almost when I'm working alone).
I have played in a band for 4 years, we were doing NIrvana cover and that was really fun and motivating. But since 1,5 year the band stopped, and my playing stopped at the same time. There was always a good excuse not to take my guitar and play... but since some weeks I feel more and more the need to play again, it's like a drug!. So I found the GMC site that seemed very interesting and registered for it, and I'm decided to start again from scratch and define a routine for practicing and improving myself. Ideally I want to work 1h par day, but I already know that it will not be possible with the work and other stuffs that fill the day. So if I can already do it 3-4 times a week I'll be happy.
With friends we also think to start a new band and composing our songs, what I never did and is quite new for me (I always only played tracks from other groups), so this is super motivating!
I'll stick my routine to something like this:
- 15 min playing/learning songs in the style I like (Grundge/Stoner/blues/Hard rock...)
- 15 min GMC lessons/practicing on pentatonic first, perhaps later on other scales & modes
- 15 min GMC lesson "Playing in the style of..."
- 15 min on practicing and trying to compose stuffs
Please share your experiences on how you are doing to keep the fire alive!

ps: I also have a small question on the web site: I don't see the "small arrows" that allows to loop on specific part of the video. Is this because of my browser (I'm using Chrome on a Mac)? Is it a known issue?

Keep on rocking! wink.gif
Stéphane

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2018, 05:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome back Stephane. The video player has changed since you first joined last year.

Looking forward to seeing you around. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2018, 06:12 PM
The video player is being worked on and updated. I'm sure Kris (our sites founder) will be able to let you know what's going on smile.gif

I'm Todd! I'm one of our instructors here and I wanna say welcome back!! Sounds like you have a good plan! It's important above all to just not stop playing. Sometimes, one doesn't feel like doing whats on ones plan. This is also just fine. As long as you play something. Guitar is a perishable skill to some degree. You can always pick it back up, but losing hard won progress due to lack of hands on time can be depressing. so try to play a few times a week and play something even if not new stuff. Play whatever you want, play whatever you feel, write some new riffs, learn a new song that you like, etc. Having time on the instrument is important. Also, keeping it fun so that you come back to it and want to come back is very important. So don't feel bad if you don't feel like following the plan some days. Thats ok, just play a bit of guitar and play whatever you want. The plan will still be there for next time. The most important thing is to just not stop playing smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Stef @ Aug 18 2018, 09:43 AM) *
Hello, my name is Stephane, from Belgium.
I'm 51, started to play guitar since around 15 years now, but my main problem has always been to keep practicing and stay motivated (almost when I'm working alone).
I have played in a band for 4 years, we were doing NIrvana cover and that was really fun and motivating. But since 1,5 year the band stopped, and my playing stopped at the same time. There was always a good excuse not to take my guitar and play... but since some weeks I feel more and more the need to play again, it's like a drug!. So I found the GMC site that seemed very interesting and registered for it, and I'm decided to start again from scratch and define a routine for practicing and improving myself. Ideally I want to work 1h par day, but I already know that it will not be possible with the work and other stuffs that fill the day. So if I can already do it 3-4 times a week I'll be happy.
With friends we also think to start a new band and composing our songs, what I never did and is quite new for me (I always only played tracks from other groups), so this is super motivating!
I'll stick my routine to something like this:
- 15 min playing/learning songs in the style I like (Grundge/Stoner/blues/Hard rock...)
- 15 min GMC lessons/practicing on pentatonic first, perhaps later on other scales & modes
- 15 min GMC lesson "Playing in the style of..."
- 15 min on practicing and trying to compose stuffs
Please share your experiences on how you are doing to keep the fire alive!

ps: I also have a small question on the web site: I don't see the "small arrows" that allows to loop on specific part of the video. Is this because of my browser (I'm using Chrome on a Mac)? Is it a known issue?

Keep on rocking! wink.gif
Stéphane

+Quote Post
Stef
Aug 18 2018, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the advise Todd! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 18 2018, 08:20 PM
GMC Founder
Welcome Stef!

Your daily routine looks good. However be sure not to make it a static one: the idea is to to balance it with things that inspire you to play on a daily basis, and with elements that challenge you to progress. If you can combine both - that's even better! (I do this when jamming)

Typically to be inspired we need to to change the routine on a weekly basis at least.

Btw it definitely sounds like should aim to get some more band playing as well!

When rebuilding the player in html5 (it used to be flash) we had to make some sacrifices, which is why the player currently does not have looping points.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2018, 08:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Also, for keeping the fire burning, try to enter the collabs and workshops as and when they appear. They are great for mixing it up a little bit wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 19 2018, 03:51 AM
Instructor
hi friend! Welcome to GMC!!

I think that your current practice routine is ok. You can adjust it after some days based on your experience. Sometimes we need more time on each topic so maybe you can organize the week to cover all the topis along the week.

However the most important thing is to have fun and feel motivated. That's what will keep you playing.

Feel free to write me every time you need it and remember that we can use a thread at my personal board to monitor your practice.

Enjoy GMC!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:45 PM