Webcam Help...
ruben_mcn
Oct 31 2009, 12:57 PM
Learning Roadie
So i´m going to buy a web cam to record myself playing.. i don´t wont anything to expensive so i was thinkin on one of this 2 cams:

- Philips Webcam Easy SPC230NC
- Toshiba Webcam PX1342E-1CAM

what do you think ??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 31 2009, 01:07 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I don't know about those, but many here at GMC use Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000, and are happy with it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 31 2009, 01:11 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 31 2009, 01:07 PM) *
I don't know about those, but many here at GMC use Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000, and are happy with it smile.gif

i was wondering if they could give me some decent quality they are only 1.3 mp and record at 30 frames per sec ...

thanks for the responce but i think that one is a bit to expensive ...

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 31 2009, 01:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Oct 31 2009, 01:11 PM) *
i was wondering if they could give me some decent quality they are only 1.3 mp and record at 30 frames per sec ...

thanks for the responce but i think that one is a bit to expensive ...

1.3 mp at 30 fps is MORE than enough for decent quality, I would think. But I'm not too sure. Logitech has a HD feature as well. So it's in general a VERY good choice and set up properly you can get some great videos from it.

Videos like this has been recorded at lower settings than 1.3 mp...I think... though in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mjwlCfvgtY&fmt=22

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Oct 31 2009, 01:33 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 31 2009, 01:42 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 31 2009, 01:31 PM) *
1.3 mp at 30 fps is MORE than enough for decent quality, I would think. But I'm not too sure. Logitech has a HD feature as well. So it's in general a VERY good choice and set up properly you can get some great videos from it.

Videos like this has been recorded at lower settings than 1.3 mp...I think... though in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mjwlCfvgtY&fmt=22

Thanks .. i think that´s more than enough.... =)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2009, 01:46 PM
Instructor
There are some lower priced cams as well, but I am really not sure how they do the job. In theory, any cam that can push 1.3 @ 30fps will be good enough for a decent video, but the quality of optics is also very important, and so is the lightning.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 31 2009, 02:01 PM
Learning Roadie
What does it mean when the sepc. say that the cam has 1.3 mp (interp.) ... what does the interpoled mean .. cause the cam spc say that the vid resolution is vga but the interploed vid resolution is 1.3 mp ... i don´t get it...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2009, 02:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Oct 31 2009, 02:01 PM) *
What does it mean when the sepc. say that the cam has 1.3 mp (interp.) ... what does the interpoled mean .. cause the cam spc say that the vid resolution is vga but the interploed vid resolution is 1.3 mp ... i don´t get it...

Here are some important resolutions, courtesy of wiki:

As you can see VGA resolutions has 640x480 pixels/lines and THIS is the resolution that cam can give @ 30fps rate.

Everything else is marketing trick, as manufacturers often give interpolated resolution values to "trick" the customers to thing that teh webcam is trully capable of processing 1.3mp @ 30fps rate. This is not true, and usually these cams can process only 1.3mp @ 5-15 fps depending on the model.

EDIT: I'll repeat again, lens is very important with webcams, and if you get one with plastic lens, you may not good quality. Glass lens cams are more expensive, but they usually don't require that much light as plastic lens ones. If you have strong lighting system, this difference will be smaller, but still some geometry problems will occur as plastic ones tend to distort the image, specially in corners.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 31 2009, 02:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2009, 02:17 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
640x480 at 30fps should in theory give you a nice youtube video. But you can't really tell how the cam will do the job in practice as webcams are not usually made for that kind of videos (high fps). I can suggest you proven cams like logitech quick cam pro 9000 or any miniDV camcorder (which is better option, but you will need to have the firewire connection to transfer data).

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 31 2009, 02:17 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 31 2009, 02:19 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 31 2009, 02:13 PM) *
Here are some important resolutions, courtesy of wiki:

As you can see VGA resolutions has 640x480 pixels/lines and THIS is the resolution that cam can give @ 30fps rate.

Everything else is marketing trick, as manufacturers often give interpolated resolution values to "trick" the customers to thing that teh webcam is trully capable of processing 1.3mp @ 30fps rate. This is not true, and usually these cams can process only 1.3mp @ 5-15 fps depending on the model.

EDIT: I'll repeat again, lens is very important with webcams, and if you get one with plastic lens, you may not good quality. Glass lens cams are more expensive, but they usually don't require that much light as plastic lens ones. If you have strong lighting system, this difference will be smaller, but still some geometry problems will occur as plastic ones tend to distort the image, specially in corners.

thanks ..

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2009, 02:35 PM
Instructor
Anytime mate, let use know if you have any more issues. Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Oct 31 2009, 03:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 31 2009, 01:35 PM) *
Anytime mate, let use know if you have any more issues. Cheers

will do ... thanks a lot for all tha help...

+Quote Post
sted
Oct 31 2009, 10:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
Get the logitech mate, it will serve you better in the long run!

+Quote Post
zen
Oct 31 2009, 11:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
+1 for logitech quickcam pro 9000. I use it and happy with it (if wanna see samples, check my youtube link below). If only I could show you the quality of the 'originial' video, you will be impressed. It's only after uploading to youtube, that the video looses some quality.

Yep, it is certainly expensive, so it all depends why you want to buy it and how much of it will you be using i.e will it provide you a good value for money or not.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2009, 11:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
As everyone says , you should really consider the logitech quickcam pro 9000 solution if you are getting a webcam for recording (not camcorder for example). Shooting guitar videos needs a good fps recording and logitech is prooven it works great (only webcam I know about that gives great results for that kind of videos). Now you also need to calculate some lights as they are equally important. I recommend 500 watts halogen work lights for the task.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Nov 2 2009, 01:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for all your help ... i´m going with the logitech =)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:04 PM