Trouble Song Writing, any1 got tips?
jollygreengiant
Jul 23 2008, 08:09 PM
GMC:er
ive thought of some chords for a song but i just carnt get any ideas for a riff to use, it would be appreciated if someone gave me tips to get me started?

The chords are D,C,F,B flat

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jollygreengiant: Jul 23 2008, 09:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 23 2008, 08:16 PM
QUOTE (jollygreengiant @ Jul 23 2008, 09:09 PM) *
ive thought of some chords for a song but i just carnt get any ideas for a riff to use, it would be appreciated if someone gave me tips to get me started?

You gotta post the chord progression then man.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 23 2008, 08:17 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well you just need to experiment and try different things with the chord progression to make a riff. If you tell me the chords ill just quickly show you an example of how you could turn them in to a riff.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 23 2008, 08:21 PM
Instructor
A simple trick i do is that i record whatever i have, be it just a few chords, and then i set it on loop and jam over it.
If i'm lucky, then i will eventually find a melody that i can use either over the chords, or later in the song, and out of that melody riffs and more ideas might come.

I know, it's easier said than done smile.gif But small things like just jamming over a few chords can be good for the inspiration.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jul 23 2008, 08:29 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jul 23 2008, 03:21 PM) *
A simple trick i do is that i record whatever i have, be it just a few chords, and then i set it on loop and jam over it.
If i'm lucky, then i will eventually find a melody that i can use either over the chords, or later in the song, and out of that melody riffs and more ideas might come.

I know, it's easier said than done smile.gif But small things like just jamming over a few chords can be good for the inspiration.

Excellent approach, I follow the same format most of the time. MAKE SURE TO ALWAYS BE RECORDING. I promise the 1 time you don't hit record will be the 1 time the magic happens. Humming over the loop or using any other instruments in house is always useful for me. Sometimes patterns I play on the piano vary drastically to patterns I am used to playing on the guitar. For some reason I hear things different when playing diff. instruments.

Post the chords maybe I or someone else can help with a few different ideas to get you started

This post has been edited by Henry Dietzel: Jul 23 2008, 08:31 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 23 2008, 08:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
As mentioned above try recording the progression and jamming over in search for a cool riff that would go along...It will happen with time trust me..Also try singing it first and than playing..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 25 2008, 11:19 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also like the jamming approach. I just grab my guitar and start to play around, sometimes some nice ideas come easy, some times not a single nice idea shows up, you can't force creativity.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jul 25 2008, 07:16 PM
Instructor
add to this four chords a section with
C- A - C - A
in 4/4 what is in my head is

4/4 |D-C|F-Bb||D-C|F-Bb|
4/4 |C|A|C|F#m-Fmaj7|
Here's a midi

This post has been edited by Gerardo Siere: Jul 25 2008, 07:30 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  suger.MID ( 3.44K ) Number of downloads: 84

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jul 25 2008, 08:34 PM
Have you just started writing songs, and just don't know what to do to make a cool riff? The jamming over the basic chord progression is cool, and it will probably yield some nice melodies, but your problem is coming up with riffs and rhythms right?

A little more detail on your problem will help us help you a lot. Maybe see if my lesson plan on rock/metal songwriting helps https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...15072&st=40

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jul 27 2008, 04:39 PM
What feel doya want to create? Like a rock ballad? A bluesy thing? Metal ? Go from that. I'd start with bashing the chord, then a lick in the pentatonic skale tongue.gif I never rlly thought about it really.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:43 AM