Floyd Rose Stopper
Sinclair
Mar 15 2017, 10:05 AM
GMC:er
I have a Floyd Rose-guitar and I am not happy with the fact that the guitar does not stay in tune so well. I am considering installing a "tremolo stopper" which allows the tremolo bar only to be pressed down, not up. Will this improve the tuning issue?

https://www.amazon.c...o/dp/B00FUTXO8G

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 15 2017, 10:34 AM
QUOTE (Sinclair @ Mar 15 2017, 09:05 AM) *
I have a Floyd Rose-guitar and I am not happy with the fact that the guitar does not stay in tune so well. I am considering installing a "tremolo stopper" which allows the tremolo bar only to be pressed down, not up. Will this improve the tuning issue?

https://www.amazon.c...o/dp/B00FUTXO8G

Hey Sinclair,

The link doesn't work but I am a user of the trem. stopper, mine is a crappy DIY solution but even that works fine. The stability and sustain increases but also the guitar will be a bit brighter sounding but not very noticable.

The trem. stop tip that I use is metal, so a small "click" sound happens when thetrem. hits back after use. I simply placed some thin but soft material to prevent that sound.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinclair
Mar 15 2017, 11:23 AM
Thanks. I will try one.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 15 2017, 02:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Sinclair,

I use one of these on my FR guitar. Works a treat smile.gif

http://www.tremol-no.com/

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 16 2017, 04:25 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I've done the DIY approach. I used a block of wood that I attached to spring cavity to keep the trem block from pivoting forward. It's basically the same idea as the angled piece of metal. It worked but it's not very flexible. I've had better luck with the Tremolno that Phil mentioned. You can configure it to float, drop, or lock. And you can adjust if the need arises when you change strings.

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 16 2017, 02:24 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I tried the Tremol-No and found the linkage had a tiny bit of play which made a slight knocking sound that drove me nuts. Now I cut two maple blocks to fit on either side of the tremolo block and it's stable and silent. Plus, it was way cheaper and one piece of wood will easily makes many many blocks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 16 2017, 03:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Mine had the knocking at first but all I had to do was move the piece (I can't fully remember now and not at home) that locks it, all the way to the front (towards neck) and put it hard against the wood and then lock the thumb screw. Sorted. I did only want to lock the trem though, the knife edges were worn a little and I have an RG Prestige that is fine for any rare whammy moments wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 18 2017, 04:29 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2017, 10:20 PM
That would work smile.gif I had an RGT ibby that had a bit of wood glued behind the trem to block it. I ended up selling the guitar though as I wanted the trem to work and the new wood was now part of the guitar. Found a buyer that wanted a blocked trem smile.gif

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Mar 16 2017, 09:24 AM) *
I tried the Tremol-No and found the linkage had a tiny bit of play which made a slight knocking sound that drove me nuts. Now I cut two maple blocks to fit on either side of the tremolo block and it's stable and silent. Plus, it was way cheaper and one piece of wood will easily makes many many blocks.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 18 2017, 10:27 AM

Not 100% about the topic but a nice comparison of what floating bridge steals from the tone. Blocking won't have such great impact but can bring some of the tone back.

A note should be such rich harmonics aren't always prefered, specially with extreme distortion. Thats why floyds are prefered more by heavy rockers.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:15 AM