Advantage Of Boss Pedals (recording Tip)
Mertay
Feb 15 2015, 11:24 PM
GMC:er
I have an ibanez and boss pedal and made a test. The guitar is always plugged to them and they are currently connected to the motherboards mic input.

The ibanez doesn't do this (or the guitar direct to mic. input) but the boss pedal even when bypassed does an amazing job keeping signal clarity. I did read somewhere boss buffers are pretty good but wasn't expecting to be that good smile.gif

So if you don't have a hi-z input on your soundcard or even if you don't have a soundcard and use the mic input, buy a used boss pedal smile.gif

Even when bypassed the clarity is like using a hi-z input soundcard. Boss pedals like ds1, sd1 (I use a mt-2) can be found very easy used and are very affordable. The other benefit of course you can engage them for their sound or enhance the distortion you get from a vst amp.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 15 2015, 11:25 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 16 2015, 11:22 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thanks, this sounds like a very cool "hack" smile.gif
I'd usually recommend getting a cheap DI unit for this kind of application but it is much more fun to get a pedal as DI doesn't do distortion or effects smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 16 2015, 12:39 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 16 2015, 10:22 AM) *
Thanks, this sounds like a very cool "hack" smile.gif
I'd usually recommend getting a cheap DI unit for this kind of application but it is much more fun to get a pedal as DI doesn't do distortion or effects smile.gif

After I realized and posted about this, I started digging the web to understand why this happened. Seems its related to the output of the pedal, my ibanez pedal is 10k ohm's while the boss is 1k ohm's.

I can't test on hi-z soundcard now, but I did test my amp input and I still hear a noticeable difference (though not as dramatic). So I guess it also means placing a 1k ohm output pedal to the end of pedal chain should have importance (though not sure is placing first would be more logical, could be...)

This reminded me about buffer pedals (not related to this topic but very close too), watched some demo's at the time and though most made the sound harsh but can be be needed here's a like about that is anyone wonders;

http://www.analogman.com/buffer.htm

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 16 2015, 12:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 17 2015, 03:55 PM
A Boss TU-2 was standard on the custom boards built by Bob Bradshaw and Dave Friedman for a long time until they started doing their own custom buffers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:10 PM