A Reply To "where Do I Go From Pentatonics?"
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 4 2022, 09:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Someone asked "So I have learned the pentatonic scale now what? How can I use it to make music?" in a group on Facebook and I recorded a small video for him for YouTube. It ended up being about 15 minutes long, and I wanted to share with you guys too. It was very off-the-top of my head and just picking the guitar up first thing in the morning kinda thing, but perhaps it could spark some ideas for people who would like to move beyond that pentatonic barrier.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 6 2022, 07:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Great video,

00:57 that's me, at the moment wink.gif

Thanks for sharing cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 8 2022, 05:32 AM
GMC:er
Don't beat yourself up buddy. That's all of us as we get into improvising solos. It's just part of the natural progression of finding our feet in terms of musical expression.

This is a great vid by Ben as usual wink.gif Really solid insight into pentatonic solo work. it really applies well to your work with kris in the other thread!

He's got a good point on avoiding running scales up and down no matter what method is used, it's not very musical. of course, one does need to have a decent amount of muscle memory of the basic scale shapes so that the brain isn't bogged down with "where does my finger go next". Once you reach that point, where you are not thinking about where the fingers are meant to land, you can start trusting yourself on letting your fingers find things sound sound interesting and musical. It's the next step beyond simple training/mechanics and in to actual music smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 6 2022, 02:50 PM) *
Great video,

00:57 that's me, at the moment wink.gif

Thanks for sharing cool.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 8 2022, 06:44 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 8 2022, 06:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 8 2022, 05:32 AM) *
Don't beat yourself up buddy. That's all of us as we get into improvising solos. It's just part of the natural progression of finding our feet in terms of musical expression.

This is a great vid by Ben as usual wink.gif Really solid insight into pentatonic solo work. it really applies well to your work with kris in the other thread!

He's got a good point on avoiding running scales up and down no matter what method is used, it's not very musical. of course, one does need to have a decent amount of muscle memory of the basic scale shapes so that the brain isn't bogged down with "where does my finger go next". Once you reach that point, where you are not thinking about where the fingers are meant to land, you can start trusting yourself on letting your fingers find things sound sound interesting and musical. It's the next step beyond simple training/mechanics and in to actual music smile.gif

Todd

Thanks buddy cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:50 AM