Acoustics For Around $500
JamesT
Mar 18 2010, 10:33 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Are there any acoustic guitars under $500 you'd recommend checking out?

I have a friend who's looking at getting one in this price range.

He tried the Martin DX-1 (the synthetic one, with a laminate neck, sides, and back), a few Takamines, an Epiphone Masterbuilt DM-500. They all played well, just the cheaper Takamine seemed to have too little bass and was really bright sounding, the more expense ones had a nice balanced sound.

We saw a Martin DX-1 for $350 on Craigslist, but were too late, as it was already sold.

Thoughts?...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JamesT: Mar 18 2010, 10:34 PM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 18 2010, 10:39 PM
Learning Roadie
I wanted one of those DX-1's (at least, whatever the made in america one was called) for a while, but I killed my craving for an acoustic... for now. But I feel like those would be a good budget guitar. Supposedly they're very durable, and at least the one I played actually sounded better than every other acoustic in the room, even ones costing several thousands.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Mar 19 2010, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
QUOTE (JamesT @ Mar 18 2010, 05:33 PM) *
We saw a Martin DX-1 for $350 on Craigslist, but were too late, as it was already sold.

Thoughts?...

Not sure how big Craigslist is in your area, but in Atlanta, it's very busy. I buy and sell guitars on there all the time. If you're patient, you can get something for about half of what it sells for new at Guitar Center.

/I have no opinion on what type of guitar to get though.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
JamesT
Mar 19 2010, 04:36 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks guys. So far.

Keep all the comments coming for any of you all who know something about acoustics. For me, it's playability first, followed by tone, followed by finish quality, followed by style or looks. The neck has to be straight, action reasonaby low, minimal fret buzz, and no sharp stuff from the frets to grab your hands, followed by warm tone (which is a close second), followed by how cool it looks. Nowadays, you can probably get all that and more from almost any maker for under five bills, but if any of you all have a favorite, or can speak about your acoustic (good or bad) let me know. I'm hoping to point Brian to this link so that he can get blown away by all the great info here at GMC. (which I know we have in mass quantity). So keep the ideas flowing. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by JamesT: Mar 19 2010, 04:36 AM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 20 2010, 05:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This guitar should be a pretty good choice for the money:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=516847

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 20 2010, 05:41 PM
Instructor
I've seen some Yamaha APX series in that price range. They looked very good.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:47 AM