Whammy Bar, My whammy bar detunes my strings badly. Any help appreciated
PKJperson
May 22 2008, 06:18 AM
GMC:er
I've had my beginners guitar for a while. Its a fender squier strat. I never use the whammy bar it came with because it detunes my guitar badly. It detunes the pitch upward. I can't figure out how to fix it.

Also when I push the whammy bar down it is hard to push. I tried a guitar at the store and the whammy bar was very easily pushed down. I don't know if that is a difference between my guitar or whammy bar and the stores or if my guitar is supposed to be like that.

Another thing is when I push my whammy bar down the change in pitch is much small than the on at the store.

please help! thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 22 2008, 08:58 AM
Instructor
i think you need to adjust the whammy, you have to look to the 6 screws to make a balance
to let the whammy move up and down thats first step .and if you want the whammy to work slightly. there is
a 3 springs in the cover back, you have to get out 1 of these springs to be 2 after that you need to adjust strings
high or down from fretboard . after than you a need a small spring to put it a contra as in picture in this case
the whammy will never loose the tune

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 22 2008, 09:01 AM
If you're a beginner then I'd take it into your local store and ask them if you can take a bit of tension out of the vibrato arm so you can use it easier. They'll be able to do that with relative ease. Or obviously if you have a mate that knows what he is doing. It isn't a difficult adjustment.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 22 2008, 01:19 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You can set it up , and maybe the best option is to go to a local store...But keep in mind that on beginner guitars that whammy makes it go out of tune from time to time either way wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 22 2008, 05:58 PM
You have to realize that a vibrato that is not of the locking type, will inevitably go out of tune, at least somewhat, no matter what you do. This is especially true the more you use it. Putting graphite in the nut slots helps alot. This is where the G string will hang up lots of times. But, again, if you don't use a locking vibrato, like a Floyd Rose, you will have tuning problems. A good guitar tech can set your guitar up to fascilitate a smoother vibrato by optimizing spring tension for playability, but one can only do so much where the out-of-tune problem occurs. Good luck!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 22 2008, 09:23 PM
Instructor
It is normal for strings on a strat tremolo to go up the pitch when using a whammy bar. Your whammy is unsubale if you ask me. If you want to use it extensively - you should buy a locking nut and a good whammy. I'm not sure if that is a good option tho because it can cost more than a guitar itself.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
PKJperson
May 24 2008, 10:53 AM
FrankW - thanks for the graphite tip, I might try that. Hopefully it will help a little.

I definitely wouldn't want to add anything on to my guitar seeing how it is a very cheep guitar.
I think its about time for me to get a new guitar anyway. Thanks everyone for your advice!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 24 2008, 11:39 AM
Instructor
No worries man, we all had our share of troubles with those. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:41 AM