2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Guitar Strings Do You Use?, tell us the secret
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 7 2007, 10:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
What guitar strings do you use ?? What brand , what gauge , in what tuning etc....

I'll start , I play bass though you may skip and write what you use....

Last half of year and maybe more I'm sticking to Ernie Ball Round Wound Super Slinky Bass Guitar Strings.At first I was using 45-100 and then switched to Ernie Ball Round Wound Extra Slinky Bass Guitar Strings 40-95 and I find them much more suitable for me..Its easier for me to play a lot of thing with the lighter ones...I tried varius Daddario strings and GHS Boomers and found that Ernie Ball's last a very long time and don't loose that bright metal sound at all , other brands lost their tone in 2 weeks max...Also one more thing I discovered that is related to strings wink.gif To get that new strings tone back use the GHS Fast Fret (it cleans strings and makes them slippery so you can play faster) and secret with it is to apply the fast fret to strings and leave it there for at least 2 hours..When you apply it and than wipe it off like it says in the manual on it you practically don't get any effect (in cleaning the strings)..When my strings loose tone I just apply fast fret and live it over night..

And to add , this piece of gear plays a big roll in overall sound of the guitar..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Dec 8 2007, 12:07 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 8 2007, 12:39 AM
Instructor
I usually stick to using Ernie Ball or D'Addario strings. I like the strings to be fairly tight, so the gauges I mainly use are 10-48 or 11-52 or something in between. I personally don't like to play on 09. string set, they just feel like spaghetti in my hands, but I know it works for many other people! (I think Steve Vai uses 09. string set) smile.gif

Btw, thanks for the GHS Fast Fret tip Bogdan, I need to tryout that sometime!! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 8 2007, 12:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
Always Ernie Balls:
10-48 Standars Tuning
10-52 Drop D
11-52 Drop C or D standard
11-54 Drop B

Warwick for Bass:
45-105

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Dec 8 2007, 12:52 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 8 2007, 12:53 AM
GMC:er
Whatever is cheapest for electric. Just attach them properly, they won't go dead (or go out of tune).

Both 9-42 and 10-46, on different guitars. Depends how I feel. I use a lighter pick when playing the lighter strings. I may set up a guitar for drop D tuning. If so, I will use the 10-46 strings, but replace the 46 with a 52. Or maybe 9-42, replacing the 42 with a 46.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Dec 8 2007, 12:56 AM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 8 2007, 01:07 AM
Instructor
Usually DR,lately on EB,of course 009-042,normal tuning. biggrin.gif

And Fast Fret is the MUST. cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Bondy
Dec 8 2007, 01:09 AM
Learning Roadie
I use Hybrid Slinkys

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 8 2007, 01:13 AM
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 7 2007, 06:07 PM) *
Usually DR,lately on EB,of course 009-042,normal tuning. biggrin.gif

And Fast Fret is the MUST. cool.gif

going to give that a try also. in fact, I am going to go out and get some right now. I am suspecting this will also reduce noise from rubbing your fingers and hands on the strings?

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 8 2007, 01:29 AM
Usually Ernie Ball or D'Addario strings. 10 or 11 guage.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 8 2007, 02:09 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Ernie Balls 009-042 and normal tuning

interesting about the fast fret, I was always a bit dubious about it being a bit of a gimick type thing but I`ll give it a go for sure wink.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 8 2007, 02:15 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Dec 7 2007, 07:09 PM) *
Ernie Balls 009-042 and normal tuning

interesting about the fast fret, I was always a bit dubious about it being a bit of a gimick type thing but I`ll give it a go for sure wink.gif

the guitar stop was closed, so could not get it tonight. what I am interested is, is whether it quiets the rubbing, particularly from my right hand muting, as I pretty constantly sliding that palm, and it makes noise. I am hoping this helps quiet that. I suspect that will be the case.

edit: removed something and typo

edit2: now that I think about it, left hand noise also. I bet this helps reduce it. Then again, I could try bacon grease. Nah, will wait for the real stuff, don't want my dog licking my guitar.

edit3: ok, tried olive oil. Yes, no question, you want something like this. It REALLY quiets the string. No question, we want this.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Dec 8 2007, 02:25 AM

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 8 2007, 02:21 AM
What is Fast Fret?

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 8 2007, 02:25 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Dec 8 2007, 01:21 AM) *
What is Fast Fret?

basically a string cleaner http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/V...x?productId=489

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 8 2007, 02:34 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 7 2007, 08:15 PM) *
edit2: now that I think about it, left hand noise also. I bet this helps reduce it. Then again, I could try bacon grease. Nah, will wait for the real stuff, don't want my dog licking my guitar.

Awww, why spoil Bobo's evening??

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 8 2007, 02:42 AM
Well some of my axes are tuned in D so I string them with 10-52 Ernie Balls. The rest are in standard tuning so I string them with 9-42 Ernie Balls.

I actually just bought some D'addarios though because the shop had run out of my gauge in EB. I don't like them really.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 8 2007, 02:44 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 7 2007, 07:34 PM) *
Awww, why spoil Bobo's evening??

There is never any reason to feel sorry for BoBo. He gets everything.

I may or may not use olive oil for final solution, we will see. However it seems good to also put something like that on your finger tips. Sure quiets things.

edit: it also definitely helps with speed. now I am still doing the noble olive oil experiment (I figured that would not hurt the finish or frets or anything). But on sweeps I am very particular of all notes sounding out, no matter how fast. For example the last sweeps in Canon Rock, where you do the 8 note sweeps at 200bpm. Making sure you clearly sound out the last two notes of a sweep and the first two notes of the sweep you slide down to is a challenge. Actually I have not gotten to where I can do that at that speed yet. Then again, if you listen to JerryC, he did not either, and he wrote it. But I can see right away, that clearly having something slick helps significantly in making such transitions.

edit2: This is so cool! Playing and so much less noise, and also faster. Using olive oil. I here publicly lay claim to the invention of Olive Oil used as a guitar string/fingertip lube, and all others in the future will be required to pay royalties to me, at a rate to be decided later.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Dec 8 2007, 03:11 AM

+Quote Post
VinceG
Dec 8 2007, 03:45 AM
I recently tried Elixir strings 11-49. Love how smooth it is and long lasting. I might change the gauge to a thicker once maybe 11-52. I'm also thinking of trying out D'addario's as well.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Dec 8 2007, 03:53 AM
elixers 9s i love the coating...

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Dec 8 2007, 03:57 AM
I use Webstrings .10 gauge. Very bright sounding and CHEAP!!! I've been using Fast Fret since I was 14 or 15 and I swear by the stuff. It helps keep the strings clean and with moving around on the neck.

I used to use the DR coated strings but I've found that coated strings just don't sound as good as a string that doesn't have the coating.

Fkalich, are you trying to con someone into truly trying Olive Oil for pure evil enjoyment tongue.gif or are you really using it?

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 8 2007, 04:00 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Dec 7 2007, 08:25 PM) *

Oh ok, thanks Smells.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 8 2007, 04:38 AM
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Dec 7 2007, 08:57 PM) *
Fkalich, are you trying to con someone into truly trying Olive Oil for pure evil enjoyment tongue.gif or are you really using it?

Using it. Thinking outside the box. I will try the official stuff. But not convinced it will be better. And putting a bit on your finger tips, just a touch, is important. Does not take much.

Well my dog expects his after dinner treat, he is going through his routine. It is pretty entertaining to watch, I need to film this next time, the world should get to see this. How dare I not have his greenie ready for him immediately after he finishes his dinner, how rude of me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:03 PM