Take A Break, Let your muscles heal
Jenkinson
May 28 2008, 10:00 PM
GMC:er
The reason I decided to take the break: my fingers (especially the pinky) were feeling sore after some recent days of serious practice. Everyday I continued to practice and my fingers were always sore, letting them heal overnight was not enough. I told myself, let them completely heal, and see what happens.

I took a break from my serious practice schedule for 4 days, and when I practiced again today I was more accurate, controlled, relaxed, and much faster.

I must recommend this to everyone who practices seriously on a daily basis. Once in awhile, take 3-4 days off. This will allow for your muscles to fully heal, and when you pick your instrument back up, you will feel a great deal of increased control and strength.

I am interested to see what our instructos have to say about this, and if they have experienced what I am talking about.

- - I couldn't stay away from my guitar for that long, so I just practiced theory for those days, which also helped!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jenkinson: May 28 2008, 10:01 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
May 28 2008, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I have been taking a 2 day break and it really feel that you have improved alot

so brakes are to recomend

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jun 1 2008, 05:25 AM
You're on to something, Jenkinson. I've been cognizent of the one day on-one day off routine for a long time, when it comes to playing guitar. I can't do it because I want to play when I want to play. That means that I usually play every day. When something comes up that keeps me from playing for a day or two, however, I find that my playing is much more relaxed, and cleaner, and faster! I came to the conclusion that having a good guitar workout is the same as working out in the gym. Those of you that work out know that you don't work the same muscle groups two days in a row, because the whole idea behind lifting weights is to tear your body down, and then, rest for a day or two to allow it to rejuvinate. That's how you get bigger and stronger. Well, I think the same thing applies to guitar playing, at least, based on my observations. But, can I skip every other day from playing guitar? No! But, I think doing so does allow a restoring of the muscles involved in guitar playing, and, makes playing easier. Take a day off every once in a while!

This post has been edited by FrankW: Jun 1 2008, 05:27 AM

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jun 1 2008, 05:32 AM
the only time i take brakes from daily practice is when i cant practice that day but ill try this from now on

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jun 1 2008, 06:10 AM
Yeah, I've been doing this for a couple years now. Every once In a while I just don't play for like 2-3 days, and when I go back to play again its definitely alot easier and faster

+Quote Post
besip
Jun 1 2008, 06:26 AM
yeaahh thats shoot help to improve playing
actualy i'm also in break 2 days now becouse my index knuckle is in pain so i'm wana let him take rest
but is hard to not play laugh.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Jun 1 2008, 06:43 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
SEANCD2005
Jun 1 2008, 06:55 AM
i agree, i work 4 10 hour days then get 3 off during that time i play alot then on my work days ill take it easy ive notice that i do play better doing this before my scheduled changed to this i would play every day not taking breaks so this works for me

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jun 1 2008, 09:27 AM
Instructor
right way jenkinson and i do this monthly going away from guitar for 3-4 days

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 1 2008, 12:43 PM
Singing Instructor
Yeah, this is good advice,when i plaid flute I practice every day for 3 to 6 hours,but never on sunday,I just let my fingers and my brain to get a rest from it all.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 1 2008, 01:06 PM
Instructor
That is true of course. After 3-4 days of resting and sleeping there is a increase in playing technique. Occasional pauses, like 3 days once a month or one day before the gig are mandatory for me.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Jun 1 2008, 01:09 PM
hmm, I should try this. I've practiced guitar every day for ................... 8 months or so..... with no breaks

This post has been edited by Martin la guitarra: Jun 1 2008, 01:12 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 1 2008, 04:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
I agree, a 3-4 day break every once in a while helps allot. I believe the brain needs time to sort stuff out, and its a part of your development as a guitarist!

I take a few days off every now and again and my performance is notably better when i go back to it smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 1 2008, 04:24 PM
I need breaks badly, but I hate them! Not playing guitar is as hard as not speaking for me.

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 2 2008, 12:45 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I like taking breaks from time to time..Just lets my hands and mind rest a little and then I can practice better when I get back to it.. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:38 PM