Help From Singers
TreyDeschamp
Jan 7 2010, 05:22 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
So in my new band, I basically just said screw it and decided to stop being shy because I know I have a voice. So I took up lead vocals and lead guitar which is challenging in itself. So could anyone tell me how to break out of the shell that is just my band. I can't sing infront of anyone else other than my band mates.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
zen
Jan 7 2010, 08:55 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Start inviting friends of friends (people who you don't know and have never met) to your jamming/ rehearsals .. In this process,you'll end up making more friends and will give you an opportunity to over come the shyness gradually.. Even the best of the best get those butterflies before a concert but the more you do it, the better it becomes... Once you start playing gigs.. There will be a lot of mess up's in the initial gigs but that's what's gonna help ya control it in your head..... BREATHE !! long breaths ... help you control those nerves before gigs ...It's the first 1-2 songs in the setlist that are the hardest in terms of controlling the nerves ... So start with easy songs... and by the 3rd-4th song ,, you will be much much comfortable in front of the new audience.. and most importantly ... Have fun ! .. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 7 2010, 09:53 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (zen @ Jan 7 2010, 08:55 AM) *
Start inviting friends of friends (people who you don't know and have never met) to your jamming/ rehearsals .. In this process,you'll end up making more friends and will give you an opportunity to over come the shyness gradually.. Even the best of the best get those butterflies before a concert but the more you do it, the better it becomes... Once you start playing gigs.. There will be a lot of mess up's in the initial gigs but that's what's gonna help ya control it in your head..... BREATHE !! long breaths ... help you control those nerves before gigs ...It's the first 1-2 songs in the setlist that are the hardest in terms of controlling the nerves ... So start with easy songs... and by the 3rd-4th song ,, you will be much much comfortable in front of the new audience.. and most importantly ... Have fun ! .. smile.gif

Good idea! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2010, 01:23 PM
Instructor
If you want to break out, you will eventually have to play in front of other people. Don't worry about this moment, just be well prepared, both you and your band mates. Ask someone objective enough to listen to you rehearse, so you can have a more realistic opinion about your band's performance. Usually friends and girlfriends have very subjective positive opinions. In the end you will know if you are good for a live performance, just go there and battle out the stage freight in the best possible way you can - by coming prepared and relaxed to the gig (and I advise you don't drink before the gig).

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 7 2010, 01:24 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 7 2010, 01:56 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I can advise you don't drink before the gig as well... dry.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 8 2010, 04:29 AM
Instructor
I was on rehearsal today and vocalist couldn't make it. I did some vocals and there was a cutie there tongue.gif felt kind of nervous but I just look to the wall and say to myself: I don't care what you think ...

heheh

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 8 2010, 01:39 PM
GMC:er
There's some great advice here Trey! The only thing that I can add (having done it myself in a band and as a solo artist) is that the more you do it the easier it will become! There is no substitute for experience, so the more you rehearse and play the better, easier and more natural it will all come!!
Good luck with it!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 8 2010, 01:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jan 8 2010, 04:29 AM) *
I was on rehearsal today and vocalist couldn't make it. I did some vocals and there was a cutie there tongue.gif felt kind of nervous but I just look to the wall and say to myself: I don't care what you think ...

heheh

I use to think of my former mother-in law when I get nervous, it just gives me that kind of agressive touch to it and I usually forget about beeing nervous.... tongue.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Jan 8 2010, 03:46 PM
Learning Roadie
this is pretty much what i did a few years ago... i was very nervous too but my friends pretty much made me play a few buskers nights on acoustic... if i screwed up there, nobody cared!

another thing that made me get over my nerves (probably a lifesaver at somepoints) was laughter! if you can make just 1 person in the audience laugh, it helps with your nerves.... so tell a few jokes or make fun of your bassists hairstyle or whatever tongue.gif

another idea which i tried... it kinda worked... is to make a fool of yourself straight away on stage. some people may not like it, some people do... either way, make a fool of yourself, (heres the important part) laugh it off! if you can show you dont care about what they think to yourself, then youve won the battle!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:09 PM