Managing An Informal Guitar Group Thing
Scott Gentzen
Oct 17 2008, 07:07 PM
GMC:er
I hesitate to call it a "jam session" because I'm not really convinced that that's what it is.

What I'm thinking of doing would include some jamming at some point, but I'm more thinking of something where a participant would do something like lead off with a "what I learned recently" kind of thing first and then maybe some kind of group playing as time allows.

Anyone have any experience organizing something like this? Looking to find any potential issues/problems before I get started if I can.

thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 17 2008, 09:29 PM
Instructor
If you are planning a jamm session, it is good to have some rhythm players there ready. Also if you wanna play some rock standards, it is good to bring some chord sheets, so rhythm guitar player can read those chords and play the songs (he doesn't have to learn them before).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 19 2008, 12:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ivan has quit a good tip, with the chord sheets!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 19 2008, 04:27 PM
I didn't really understand what you'r reffering to..

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 19 2008, 05:47 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Where are you planning to organize this ? Who are going to be participants ? I would be cool to prepare the room for such group by having more than 1 guitar amplifier, stands for sheet music (chords for backing for example)..You can do lots of things in the group like jamming , showing what you have learned , discussing different techniques and theory and basically exchanging knowledge..Also for the jamming part it may be nice to have a sort of rhythm/drum machine ready (it can be on PC too) so you don't have time keeping issues..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Oct 20 2008, 03:53 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 19 2008, 12:47 PM) *
Where are you planning to organize this ? Who are going to be participants ? I would be cool to prepare the room for such group by having more than 1 guitar amplifier, stands for sheet music (chords for backing for example)..You can do lots of things in the group like jamming , showing what you have learned , discussing different techniques and theory and basically exchanging knowledge..Also for the jamming part it may be nice to have a sort of rhythm/drum machine ready (it can be on PC too) so you don't have time keeping issues..

I have a location that I can use that'll have plenty of space and power. At least at the start, I'm not expecting more than 6 or 7 people...they're all people that I know but I don't think any of them have played together before. Probably half acoustic, half electric...it'll be interesting how that works out.

That's a great idea about the the drum machine thing. Ivan mentioned chord sheets and I might be able put together a couple backing tracks with those in Reason that I can loop. It wouldn't be hard to put together a couple 12-bar loops too while I'm at it. The place where we'd be doing this has a PA system in it so there's no problem making it heard.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've never done one of these before, so I don't know what I'm doing. Usually that means I tend to worry and over-plan til it happens. I'm always looking for more ideas and suggestions. I'll do a follow-up posting once the first one's done.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:59 PM