Fender Hot Rod Question
Brandon Earman
Feb 24 2010, 06:05 PM
Learning Roadie
I've had my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for a while now, and I'm wondering what the 'Preamp Out' and 'Power Amp In' jacks are for. Also, the 'Footswitch' jack - how would you hook a footswitch pedal to your rig? Would it be completely separate from your pedalboard?

My only guess was that these jacks are basically the effects loop jacks..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
jafomatic
Feb 24 2010, 06:22 PM
GMC:er
The footswitch is a specific device for channel selection. it's not an "effect" pedal at all. The other jacks you've correctly identified, that's how fender labels them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Feb 24 2010, 06:45 PM
Learning Roadie
ah ok, so 'Preamp Out' would go to the 'Input' on your delays/reverbs/etc. and the 'Outputs' of said pedals would run to 'Power Amp In' on the amp? I think I got it now smile.gif Thanks a lot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 24 2010, 07:44 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yes you got it right - and yes connect it the way you described. Footswich is used for switching channels on the amp itself, just get a fitting one and connecting straight to the amp.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 25 2010, 12:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (earman @ Feb 24 2010, 06:45 PM) *
ah ok, so 'Preamp Out' would go to the 'Input' on your delays/reverbs/etc. and the 'Outputs' of said pedals would run to 'Power Amp In' on the amp? I think I got it now smile.gif Thanks a lot!

Hot Rod has what I like to call a "good overdrive preamp section attempt" smile.gif The overdrive from the preamp sounds nice, but the overdriven tone of power tubes on that amp would add a (much needed) cherry on the tone cake. However, when overdriving power section, loop gets distorted too, so this reveals the point of this amp - it was made as a modern Fender with channel switching and preamp based overdrive.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Feb 25 2010, 02:33 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 24 2010, 05:14 PM) *
Hot Rod has what I like to call a "good overdrive preamp section attempt" smile.gif The overdrive from the preamp sounds nice, but the overdriven tone of power tubes on that amp would add a (much needed) cherry on the tone cake. However, when overdriving power section, loop gets distorted too, so this reveals the point of this amp - it was made as a modern Fender with channel switching and preamp based overdrive.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying, Ivan. I never have used the amp's drive channel, I always keep it on the clean channel and use a TS-9 and/or Big Muff if I want to get overdriven tones. Am I missing out by not utilizing the second channel?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:46 PM