3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Phil's Diatonic Journey, Personal Mentor thread for Phil66
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 4 2022, 11:28 AM
GMC Founder
Hey Phil, not boring at all!

On the contrary -

In this setting you provide a rich harmonic picture - thanks to the ringing bass note and the added tension notes of the minor scale.

On top of this you are playing in time with the beat.

When we add all this together you have taken a huge step forward - and this is sounding like playing that could end up on a record when polished.

Sure you can't be as adventurous when considering both the beat and the ringing bass note. But this is exactly why there are many wannabes and not many pros.

But if you keep practicing like this - then these two hurdles will become second nature and you will be bale to focus more on the creative part again. And by then it will sound a million times better - when you have both harmony and pulse on your side.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 4 2022, 08:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Kris,

I don't really know where we're heading with this but I'm putting my faith in you wink.gif

Here is another SoundCloud, I will put a video up next time just didn't have time with the extra rendering and sound syncing, I need to look into how to record sound direct to the video, I've looked before but it looked complicated.

I accidentally hit the open D one time but I liked how it sounded so I did a couple more times at irregular intervals.

I don't know why, but I get a Middle Eastern and/or Moroccan vibe from this, maybe my weird ears laugh.gif

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 6 2022, 08:49 PM
Hello Kris,

Further to my reply above, here is a video, I've increased the tempo a little bit.

I've left all of the mistakes in there, the last note was a BIG booboo laugh.gif I think it's best to leave the mistakes in videos like this to give a more realistic student/teacher experience as though i were sitting there in front of you. It will show my weaknesses.

https://youtu.be/zCLjwZrhTfI

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 7 2022, 08:21 AM
GMC Founder
Veyr nice Phil,

I think you are ready for your next assignment 😎

I suggest you give this one a week and focus heavily on nailing some new chords shapes as this is really what will elevate your style.

When you can switch between several of these chord shapes, you will be able to create a much more exciting chord loop to jam over.

Also, during this time - it might also be wise for you to also practice/ borrow some licks from the archive to get inspiration. Bear in mind that just focusing on a theory assignment can get a bit monotonous.

Here are some lessons where you might find a lick or two of interest:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/planner/?...;planFinished=1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 7 2022, 08:48 AM
Thanks Kris,

I'm on it.

Do you agree that it's good to include mistakes? I'm just thinking it will give you an accurate indication of my level rather than submitting take number 700 that has no mistakes.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 7 2022, 08:53 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 7 2022, 08:53 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 7 2022, 09:48 AM) *
Thanks Kris,

Should I still stick to that same scale pattern on the first for strings (plus the open A) or should I add the wound strings too?

You can def add more strings! 👌

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 7 2022, 09:48 AM) *
Do you agree that it's good to include mistakes? I'm just thinking it will give you an accurate indication of my level rather than submitting take number 700 that has no mistakes.

What matters here is for me to get a true impression of where you are at. Hiding mistakes would be counterproductive.

I think you should record yourself in a week so I can get an accurate snapshot of your progress.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 7 2022, 08:28 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 7 2022, 08:21 AM) *
Veyr nice Phil,

I think you are ready for your next assignment 😎

Here are some lessons where you might find a lick or two of interest:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/planner/?...;planFinished=1

Thanks Kris,

At the risk of sounding like a complete plank, those lessons aren't in A minor, how would I go about using some of the licks from them whilst creating my A minor track? Or did you just mean to listen and get inspired by the licks in those lessons.

Please excuse my ignorance huh.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 7 2022, 08:34 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 8 2022, 08:07 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 7 2022, 09:28 PM) *
At the risk of sounding like a complete plank, those lessons aren't in A minor, how would I go about using some of the licks from them whilst creating my A minor track?

That's a highly relevant question!

If we look at this lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Satria...de-Easy-Ballad/

Which is in D Major:

Let's say you find a lick you really like the sound of in D Major:

E--------------------------
B-5-7-5--------------------
G-------6------------------
D---------7----------------
A--------------------------

First make sure to practice it in the original key to somewhat get the feel and timing right, then adapt it to make it fit in the A minor scale. Here I am just choosing the nearby notes:

B-5-6-5--------------------
G-------7------------------
D---------7----------------

Fingering too difficult? Change a note to make it easier:

B-5-6-5--------------------
G-------7-5----------------
D--------------------------

Doesn't quite sound right? Try changing another note:

B-5-8-5--------------------
G-------7-5----------------
D--------------------------

Let me know if it makes sense?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 8 2022, 06:59 PM
Makes sense thank you.

Please tell me if I ask too many questions wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 8 2022, 07:53 PM
Hello Kris,

I know you said to record in a week or so but I always like to put progress takes in. I find it helps to motivate me if I submit regularly, sorry.

I've called it "Playfully Menacing", I listened to the Easy Satriani Ballad lesson just before recording.

As said, you can wait a week if you like.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 25 2022, 08:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 12 2022, 11:01 AM
GMC Founder
Cool Phil, here is my reply:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 12 2022, 08:58 PM
Hello Kris,

Didn't I tell you about my new found love of atonal jazz???? That's exactly what I was trying to emulate wink.gif

Nah, seriously, I like this way of learning, you guide me and let me make mistakes and then show me where I went "wrong".

I've been looking at a new chord progression this evening, I did it in GP5 and now I'll work on learning it for real. Then I'll record it a solo over it.

On the full bar chords I'll probably strum and arpeggiate, maybe not on the two chord bars, I'll see how it goes. I thought using GP might help me understand a bit more and come up with something more quickly rather than fumbling the chords then once I have something I like I can learn it.

This is the audio export from GP

Here is the GP file if anyone wants it to play around with.
Attached File  A_Minor_Chord_Prog_1.zip ( 11.49K ) Number of downloads: 151

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 13 2022, 08:57 PM
UPDATE:

I think I'm going to go with this, I'll practise the chords but I'll record them arpeggiated as it's a bit easier for now. then I'll solo over it. Going to take a while to remember it all but let's go for it, it will help train my ears wink.gif Or am I going about it completely incorrectly?

Attached File  A_Minor_Chord_Prog_2.zip ( 644bytes ) Number of downloads: 155

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 13 2022, 09:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 15 2022, 09:13 AM
GMC Founder
Very nice Phil 😎😎 and this sounds like a great plan!

Surely you must feel your new composition is more interesting to jam over?

Andto state the obvious: with some bass, drum and most importantly added groove - you could turn this into a great jam track!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 15 2022, 11:02 AM
Thanks Kris,

I'm a bit pushed for time this week, we aren't in on Monday (Queen's funeral) so I'm working extra so as not to fall behind, I'll do my best.

Obviously I don't know the chord names in that track but I might try to play a bass part using the root note of each arpeggio in 1/8 notes with maybe the third pair of notes being another note from the arpeggio, as said not sure what I'm doing in a theory sense but just going with something.

I think GP can be a great learning tool for things like this when one's fingers aren't used to unusual chord shapes that one has made up.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 20 2022, 07:47 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 18 2022, 09:15 PM
Hello Kris,

As I said, I've not had much time this week but I'll be back on it tomorrow. This weekend I needed some play time and nothing to think about so did a bit more work on my side hustle here https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...60&start=60

I just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 19 2022, 09:27 AM
GMC Founder
Cool Phil, thanks for the update.

Obviously I don't know the chord names in that track but I might try to play a bass part using the root note of each arpeggio in 1/8 notes with maybe the third pair of notes being another note from the arpeggio, as said not sure what I'm doing in a theory sense but just going with something.

Using the chord notes AND/OR the notes in A minor is more than enough as a starting point. A wild guess is that 99% of all cool bass lines come from grooving and jamming to a track, and not from complex theory analysis. So chord- or diatonic notes (A minor) get you in the ballpark, after that it's Phil's musical intuition that will make all the difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 22 2022, 08:48 PM
Hello Kris,

I can only offer apologies, life/work is hectic at the moment, struggling for time and I've also allowed myself to get too distracted with THIS but it is guitar playing wink.gif I'm also still trying to get my mojo back to its former glory wink.gif

I think I've done the wrong thing by going into GP to create things, it's a bit too complicated to remember all of the arpeggios and to finger some of the shapes BUT, one good thing has come out of it, I have a better understanding of how chords are made. Tonight I created chord diagrams in GP to put on the tablature sheet. As I was doing it, I noticed some have the same names with different fretted notes, the penny dropped. Now I know what they meant when they said "Robert Johnson made all the chords", it's all about the voicings, call me stoopid if you want but I never really got it until I did this exercise.

Anyway, I think I should simplify it a little bit and kinda start again. Do you agree?

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 23 2022, 06:22 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 23 2022, 08:32 PM
GMC Founder
Hey Phil,

No need to apologise and your new insights sound absolutely awesome. This is exactly what I was hoping would happen.

And yes I agree your composition was a bit on the complex side. You can think of chord progressions as melodies, where you want a returning theme instead of constantly introducing new variations.

So I think it is worth applying the same strategy you use for coming up with melodies (however you do it 😅), but with chords instead.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 23 2022, 10:01 PM
Thanks Kris,

You are my Mr. Miyagi, leading me down a path of musical self discovery, letting me find my own way and nudging me back on track when needed.

As said, I'm still trying to get my mojo back on track since Gab became less available, we'll get there eventually.

Thank you

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 24 2022, 10:21 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:55 AM