Don't Know What To Do, Sell or keep
Phil66
Mar 1 2020, 08:08 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

Since I got my TH-U I haven't felt the need to even switch my Helix LT on, it just sits there on the floor under my desk, fully hooked up but gathering dust.

Today I decided to put it on Ebay, I switched it on to take some pics and the big kid in fell in love with the lights around the footswitches and the lovely screen, now I kinda want to keep it but I don't know why.

I thought about selling it and getting the Behringer FCB1010 to control TH-U, even that would be overkill as I rarely need to change patches or use an expression pedal or wah but they are so cheap it's worth getting one just for the odd occasion.

Head says Sell
Heart says Keep

What you reckon?

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 1 2020, 08:13 PM
GMC Founder
Having equipment gathering dust for a while is not necessarily a bad thing.

As an example, I have used my kemper extensively and almost exclusively for ~6 years. Today I have not touched it for months and instead I play un-amplified with only post effects in Logic pro.

Some day I know I will start using the Kemper again - and I would not sell it unless I absolutely had to. I have learned to use it well after these years so it would be a waste of all the precious time I put into learning the unit.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 1 2020, 08:33 PM
GMC:er
If it's not something that's rare, and you can easily purchase again - sell.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2020, 08:36 PM
Hmmm,

Thanks Kris, thing is, my ears can't tell the difference between the TH-U and the Helix unsure.gif so basically, apart from the foot controller, I have two things that do the same thing. I prefer the UI in TH-U, to be honest.

I was all set to sell it until I switched it on again and I was like a kid in a sweetshop rolleyes.gif

I'm also thinking that as I haven't used it in four months, I don't need it, and the longer I keep it, the lower the resale value.

I'm kinda 55/45 in favour of selling but that's not enough for me.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 1 2020, 08:38 PM
GMC Founder
Sounds like you have nothing to loose then!

My point was that if you know a unit well and it has its specific usage - then letting it gather dust for a while is ok because all of sudden you will be in the middle of the creative process and realise you need it urgently!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Potsau
Mar 1 2020, 08:46 PM
Do not sell!

Having equipment is a progressive process. It changes all the time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2020, 08:54 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 1 2020, 07:38 PM) *
Sounds like you have nothing to loose then!

My point was that if you know a unit well and it has its specific usage - then letting it gather dust for a while is ok because all of sudden you will be in the middle of the creative process and realise you need it urgently!

Well, to be honest, I never fully got to understand the snapshots and all of the different ways of using it and the touch sensitive switch to edit while standing up etc, I was using it like I use TH-U. It just seems a shame to have it here when someone who can't afford a new one could be giving it some love. I sound like I'm trying to talk myself into letting it don't I? laugh.gif Maybe I am, I'll probably end up tossing a coin, then the instant the coin leaves my hand I'll know what my gut wants, head vs heart vs gut. Gut has to win but may lead to regret. What I will say is that if I ever regretted selling it, I would buy the full floor version next time, just because it is so sexy. Who knows, by that time something else may be out, I'm all confused wacko.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Potsau @ Mar 1 2020, 07:46 PM) *
Do not sell!

Having equipment is a progressive process. It changes all the time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message, please see my reply above.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 1 2020, 08:54 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 1 2020, 09:55 PM
The good news is you can always get another one as they are not rare. It's a commodity piece of gear and you can get a used one for a discount if you want one again. Who knows you may switch to kemper just to try it. I'd say wait until there is a new bit of gear you really want. Then would be a good time to sell to fund the new purchase. Til then it's not hurting anything to have it smile.gif I know what you mean though, when I got OVERLOUD I stopped using my 11 rack. smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2020, 10:35 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 1 2020, 08:55 PM) *
The good news is you can always get another one as they are not rare. It's a commodity piece of gear and you can get a used one for a discount if you want one again. Who knows you may switch to kemper just to try it. I'd say wait until there is a new bit of gear you really want. Then would be a good time to sell to fund the new purchase. Til then it's not hurting anything to have it smile.gif I know what you mean though, when I got OVERLOUD I stopped using my 11 rack. smile.gif

Todd

Thanks Todd

The way I'm thinking is sell it, stash the money until I want something. If I want something in a year and then sell it, I'll get less for it.

I think I'll give it a week or two. I never impulse buy now, I always wait two weeks to see if I still want what I thought I did, its saved me a lot of money wink.gif I guess I should do the same in reverse and not impulse sell.

Cheers

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 1 2020, 07:33 PM) *
If it's not something that's rare, and you can easily purchase again - sell.

Thanks Ken,

Helix are like dog turds, they're everywhere, good dog turds though wink.gif, ebay has many for sale smile.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 2 2020, 12:36 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 2 2020, 11:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
I would say... don't sell.... from two reasons:

1. I'm never pro when it's about selling. I'm personally very attached by all my musical equipment that I have. Each gear of mine have a story (because meant a financial effort that I made), reminds me of a certain moment from my life, each thing contributed to my progress and helped me to develop my skills (playing/taste/sound, etc).
Of course keep in mind that I always bought only what I need it and with a very harshly analyze before. I never collected unuseful gears. That's why I'm in love with all I have. smile.gif

2.To be honest, the simple fact that you are asking for opinions, makes me be sure that you have doubts and definitely is still something in you that thinks you will miss the Helix. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2020, 12:41 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Mar 2 2020, 10:32 AM) *
I would say... don't sell.... from two reasons:

1. I'm never pro when it's about selling. I'm personally very attached by all my musical equipment that I have. Each gear of mine have a story (because meant a financial effort that I made), reminds me of a certain moment from my life, each thing contributed to my progress and helped me to develop my skills (playing/taste/sound, etc).
Of course keep in mind that I always bought only what I need it and with a very harshly analyze before. I never collected unuseful gears. That's why I'm in love with all I have. smile.gif

2.To be honest, the simple fact that you are asking for opinions, makes me be sure that you have doubts and definitely is still something in you that thinks you will miss the Helix. wink.gif

Thanks Monica,

I have doubts about selling and keeping it. As I said, I was ready to sell until I switched it on to take the photographs for Ebay, it's a bloke and gadget thing I think, I've kept gear in the past just because it looked good in my studio but I never used it. I've bought loads of stuff and would be like a studio museum if I'd kept it all. Fortunately I am in a position where I don't have to think about money too much but I fully understand about holding on to things that you have had to save hard for and make sacrifices. Trust me, I have had my ass hanging outta my jeans many times in the past, having to sell records and stuff just to go out for a pint with my friends so I really do get that. That's not to say I think you have your ass hanging outta your jeans but I do understand what you're saying wink.gif

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it smile.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 2 2020, 01:14 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 2 2020, 01:16 PM
Although I don't gig, I never sold my amp (which is very old) or pedals (most not so old). Sometimes you just want to hook-up the guitar and play without computer involvement or hear from a real cab.

I had a GT1 I sold almost a year ago, if it were a part of that rig I wouldn't sell it. Like, a processor is actually a very economic and good sounding approach if even used for only mod./reverb etc. stuff. Buying pedals compared can be very expensive and the Helix is good at that.

With computer though, if one has 4-5 good sounds from a plug-in or 2 then there's not much point keep adding sound options. I mean unless something is replacing the other cause its better, which is the case for you with Helix vs THD.

Processors drop value as they get replaced by newer models. I don't see that happening for Helix anytime soon so no need to rush that decision.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 2 2020, 03:19 PM
I'm always reticent to sell sound producing gear, mainly because each piece is unique in it's own way of serving a purpose. Each was bought at different stages and for differing reasons. Like my ART Rack Mount is amazing for doing 80's Metal tones but not really much else, my Zoom Rack stuff is far more versatile and usable. I keep all my pedals as there are quite a few that I've regretted selling over the years! The only thing I don't have too much trouble deciding on is Guitars themselves!!
The way I'd look at this problem is whether you intend to go out live and play which is what the Helix does or if you're staying in the Studio environment then sell it and use the TH-U. If you play live later you can always get another one and probably for less than you sell this one for!! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Mar 2 2020, 03:20 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2020, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 2 2020, 12:16 PM) *
Although I don't gig, I never sold my amp (which is very old) or pedals (most not so old). Sometimes you just want to hook-up the guitar and play without computer involvement or hear from a real cab.

I had a GT1 I sold almost a year ago, if it were a part of that rig I wouldn't sell it. Like, a processor is actually a very economic and good sounding approach if even used for only mod./reverb etc. stuff. Buying pedals compared can be very expensive and the Helix is good at that.

With computer though, if one has 4-5 good sounds from a plug-in or 2 then there's not much point keep adding sound options. I mean unless something is replacing the other cause its better, which is the case for you with Helix vs THD.

Processors drop value as they get replaced by newer models. I don't see that happening for Helix anytime soon so no need to rush that decision.

Thanks Mertay,

Some very valid points there. I can't see me ever going back to individual pedals so that is something else to consider.

Cheers

Phil

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 2 2020, 02:19 PM) *
I'm always reticent to sell sound producing gear, mainly because each piece is unique in it's own way of serving a purpose. Each was bought at different stages and for differing reasons. Like my ART Rack Mount is amazing for doing 80's Metal tones but not really much else, my Zoom Rack stuff is far more versatile and usable. I keep all my pedals as there are quite a few that I've regretted selling over the years! The only thing I don't have too much trouble deciding on is Guitars themselves!!
The way I'd look at this problem is whether you intend to go out live and play which is what the Helix does or if you're staying in the Studio environment then sell it and use the TH-U. If you play live later you can always get another one and probably for less than you sell this one for!! wink.gif

Good point re playing live, not that I'm going to play live per se but if my friend's guitar club gets off the ground then I may need something but, in saying that, I don't want to be the flash bastard with the Helix that can't play for toffee laugh.gif so maybe something like an Ampero would be more suitable for that plus it's easier to transport/carry, or even one of those diminutive pocket Pods.

I do hate selling guitars though, it takes me a long long time to sell a guitar, they feel like family and I love the runts as much as the titans wink.gif

Thanks for the input buddy wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 2 2020, 04:20 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 2 2020, 05:42 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 2 2020, 04:17 PM) *
Thanks for the input buddy wink.gif

Ampero is a great little piece of kit! Had a mess around with one over Xmas! There are plenty of other Pedal based options like the Mooer mini Amp Pedals and their 'Radar' pedal Cab Sim, Hotone do their own Multi Amp Sim Pedal and a Cab Sim Pedal (can't remember the names off-hand) and there are lots more available!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 2 2020, 07:20 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I would say simply that if you don't need to sell it, and you like it. Then hang on to it.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2020, 08:23 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 2 2020, 06:20 PM) *
I would say simply that if you don't need to sell it, and you like it. Then hang on to it.

Thanks,

I like TH-u more, my ears aren't discerning enough to tell the tonal differences but the UI is more to my taste, re-amping is a piece of cake, and I haven't used the Helix LT in four months. The more I think about it, the more I think that the Helix, when I switched it on yesterday was just a lot of eye candy.

I'm currently leaning more towards selling it, to be honest. I think the acid test will be when I come to list it, if I uhm and ah over pressing the "list now" button, then I'll know it should stay with me, same with tossing a coin, you instantly know whether you want heads or tails or are nonplussed.

Thanks for your input though, I'm just waiting for that one thing that makes me think, "yeah, sell it" or "nah, keep it" wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 4 2020, 02:34 AM
I LOVE my ampero. It's the first bit of kit that pulled me away from the 11 rack. It's just so darn easy. Software control via laptop to make patches, and assign them, then just stomp on which patch you want. The touch screen is handy of course when the computer isn't on, but using the software editor is so great I usually do it that way. I used the Ampero for both of my TYR audition takes. If I went on the road or gigging, it would be sooo easy just to take the little ampero instead of a huge rack of gear and a big cabinet.

Todd
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 2 2020, 12:42 PM) *
Ampero is a great little piece of kit! Had a mess around with one over Xmas! There are plenty of other Pedal based options like the Mooer mini Amp Pedals and their 'Radar' pedal Cab Sim, Hotone do their own Multi Amp Sim Pedal and a Cab Sim Pedal (can't remember the names off-hand) and there are lots more available!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 4 2020, 07:08 AM
I'm leaving more towards selling the Helix and thinking if I ever need to go into an amp (which I can do with the TH-U so long as computer is on) at something or my friend's guitar club, I'd get something small like the Ampero or even the cheap and cheerful Boss GT1.

Thanks for the input folks, if I don't go the way you suggested, it's not because I didn't listen its because I DID listen and evaluated everyone's input in regards to my own situation. smile.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 4 2020, 07:09 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:27 AM