What Pedals?, Need some help and overall insight
DaniHel
Jan 11 2009, 03:31 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Hi everyone!

Since i´ve started playing the guitar i´ve basicly always played using just an amplifier and a delay for solos.
Im currently using an Engl Powerball with a framus 4x12 with v30 speakers, and a g-major rack unit. Really simple rig.
Thing is, i just use it for the delay really (and the onboard tuner which sometimes glitches for some reason), i don´t care that much for all the other settings and crazy effects it has. I play mostly power, melodic metal, so i don´t really use chorus, phaser, flanger and whatnot. Maybe for a more solo project i would but at the moment not really

So i was thinking of selling it and buying a Nova Delay.

Also, i never quite understood all the fuss about pedals. Amp´s carry loads of distortion but people use fuzz/overdrive/tubescreamer/distortion pedals (did i miss any? lol). If i use those through a distorted amp won´t it just make it more distorted?

I was looking for a way to boost my leads, add some sustain and make the dynamics more distinct, is there such a pedal?

Any insight you can give me on what each type of pedal does would also be really apreciated smile.gif

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 11 2009, 03:47 AM
Learning Tone Master
Distortions are not needed for your amp, you have plenty of gain.

An overdrive can not only be used to give an amp more gain but to boost the signal to make it louder (max output,zero gain setting) which makes them great for a solo boost!

With an Equalizer you can alter the sound of your amp dramaticly or just use it to boost some frequencies if needed, for example mid boost and more output for soloing

Don't forget the WahWah, almost every metal guitarist uses them for solos, kicked down to give it a high boost and more gain.

I would suggest to buy a wah in combination with either an eq or an overdrive - go to a store and find out what suits you better

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Jan 11 2009, 03:55 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Yes, my brother has a wahwah pedal, the zakk wylde one, really good. I use it from time to time but should use it for songs a bit to keep stuff fresh.

Thanks alot for the insight! Do you have any suggestion on which eq and overdrive to try?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Jan 11 2009, 03:58 AM
GMC:er
Mostly, people use distortion pedals because either their amps don't supply enough distortion, or they're using it and a very clean-style amp. A tubescreamer is a type of overdrive pedal, and overdrive pedals are used to boost leads, add some sustain, or to make their dynamics more distinct tongue.gif. Fuzzes are like distortion pedals, but they clip the signal to give it a rougher sound IMO.

Anyways, a Nova Delay is a godly delay, if you can get it, buy it. You'll be happy.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 11 2009, 10:34 AM
Instructor
Zakk is right. Since you are mostly metal player, wah, EQ and delay are the things that are usually the most useful. Here are couple of suggestions:

WAH
crybaby zakk wylde

crybaby 535q

EQ

Boss GE7

MXR Ten Band EQ

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 11 2009, 01:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (DaniHel @ Jan 11 2009, 03:31 AM) *
I was looking for a way to boost my leads, add some sustain and make the dynamics more distinct, is there such a pedal?

Something like this could help you for boosting :

MXR Micro Amp

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Jan 11 2009, 02:34 PM
Learning Tone Guru
That would make me have a considerable number of pedals, like 4-5. It´s a good idea to get something like the carl martin combinator 2 right? So i can store pedal and amp channel presets instead of tap dancing all over the place

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 11 2009, 04:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (DaniHel @ Jan 11 2009, 02:34 PM) *
That would make me have a considerable number of pedals, like 4-5. It´s a good idea to get something like the carl martin combinator 2 right? So i can store pedal and amp channel presets instead of tap dancing all over the place

Well only if you have the need for it..When you get pedals you can get a pedalboard for them like Boss BCB-60...Its not that much of a hustle to control 4-5 pedals...Only if you need some specific maneuvers in which you need to have two pedals on and off at the same time...But also that can be avoided by placing them next to each other so you can step on two pedals at the same time..Its not that hard , just needs some practice..

edit : also check out this pedal as simpler alternative to carl martin combinator - Boss LS-2 : http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails....amp;ParentId=95

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 11 2009, 04:29 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jan 11 2009, 04:31 PM
GMC:er
I recently got the Wylde Crybaby ... I really like the sturdy design and the merciless squeal when it's kicked down..

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:09 AM