2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hello To All, My introduction
ZBORNAJA35
Dec 16 2013, 09:40 PM
GMC:er
I am new to GMC...From Slovenia, Europe. 35 years old. Playing guitar for 1,5 years. If i look lessons here i am probably begginer to intermediate so i suck smile.gif...

Broke with a girlfriend at the end of 2011...Some days later a frend called me and said he bought a guitar smile.gif)...I was a little depressed so i said ok i go to buy i too (nothing to do so lets cheer myself like a girl, buying me something hahha)...So we went and i took this cheap FENDER squier set for 200 EUR (guitar, amplfiier, tuner..)..
Then i had it in my flat, just laying and collecting dust for 6 months...At the end of may 2012 i finally picked it up...Well and started to slowly practice ... It was a slow road..So here i am 1,5 years later...

My goal..To make a bend, tour and make milions ...haha joking...

Well semi joking. Would really like to play some music in bend. To have fun. And to be decent on guitar. I dont want to suck..

I came here first to learn...And to find some encouragment...Although i am old i hope i am not hopless case, i know i cannot be joe satriani or steve vai, but i hope i will be able to play stuff i like..What i likee...Uhhhh...This is hard...I like so much music, but the key element is melodic probably..But otherwise i love rock, metal, punk, new rock, glam stuff, ....Tooo much...

Would like to ask you guys advice about when to try to seek a bend ( which level to come here on GMC) and some reality check becasue of my age and low mileage...What can i expect from guitar if i put solid practice in?

Thank u all...!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Dec 16 2013, 09:59 PM
Welcome to GMC ZBORN...its a good place to learn what you want. Everyone is cool here. Good luck with finding a Band! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Dec 16 2013, 10:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
Welcome to GMC smile.gif Awesome people super friendly and help with everything. you will love it!

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Dec 16 2013, 10:48 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC! We are all guitar freaks here, so this is probably the best place for you smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 16 2013, 10:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (ZBORNAJA35 @ Dec 16 2013, 09:40 PM) *
Would like to ask you guys advice about when to try to seek a bend ( which level to come here on GMC) and some reality check becasue of my age and low mileage...What can i expect from guitar if i put solid practice in?

Thank u all...!

Welcome to GMC - great to have you on the site!

I think you have all what it takes to learn and enjoy playing the guitar. The first thing is motivation and willing to practice.
When you practice, if you are doing it efficiently - you should be able to make a lot of progress. Especially when starting to play the guitar, you'll be able to see huge progress in the beginning when everything is new.

There is no right time when to start playing and I don't think you are too old for it.

My advice would be to practice for a year and then try to find a band or jamming friends of similar interests.
Of course - there is no specific level or "how long have you been playing" formula when it comes to joining a band. You could learn basic chords and rhythm and start an acoustic duo and play in the cafes which can be fun. It really comes down to the type of band and their level of playing and most important - interests. The best band mates are usually not really amazing guitar players, rather people you find similar interests, ambitions, time needed to dedicate to band work etc. Of course, if they can play great - that is just a big bonus smile.gif

Now back to the main question - I think if you decide to practice for a year that you can make huge progress. When you feel confident to look for a band or jam with other people - that is the right time to start looking.

At first - I would suggest setting up small and realistic goals like : learn how to play hammer-ons, blues scale etc. Take it step by step. Main thing is to have fun when practicing, so choose lessons on GMC you find both doable and cool. Practicing those lessons will be so rewarding. If you find something boring - just don't do it smile.gif

Last ingredient to learning the instrument and becoming a good musician - surround yourself with like minded people, musicians. This is what has always driven me best and I learned so much just through "hanging out" with musicians.
Since you have introduced yourself here in the forum, you already know it. Hope to see you around.

When ready, check out our REC section and mentoring possibilities.

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Dec 16 2013, 10:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey, welcome to GMC! You're in the right place to talk and learn about guitars and music smile.gif If you got any questions, don't hesitate smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 17 2013, 07:54 AM
Learning Tone Master

Welcome to GMC! You will gonna love this place smile.gif

+Quote Post
dreadlocks
Dec 17 2013, 08:47 AM
Welcome to GMC smile.gif

Soon you'l find playing with a band is alot more realistic than you think! cool.gif

+Quote Post
ZBORNAJA35
Dec 17 2013, 10:31 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 16 2013, 09:54 PM) *
Welcome to GMC - great to have you on the site!

I think you have all what it takes to learn and enjoy playing the guitar. The first thing is motivation and willing to practice.
When you practice, if you are doing it efficiently - you should be able to make a lot of progress. Especially when starting to play the guitar, you'll be able to see huge progress in the beginning when everything is new.

There is no right time when to start playing and I don't think you are too old for it.

My advice would be to practice for a year and then try to find a band or jamming friends of similar interests.
Of course - there is no specific level or "how long have you been playing" formula when it comes to joining a band. You could learn basic chords and rhythm and start an acoustic duo and play in the cafes which can be fun. It really comes down to the type of band and their level of playing and most important - interests. The best band mates are usually not really amazing guitar players, rather people you find similar interests, ambitions, time needed to dedicate to band work etc. Of course, if they can play great - that is just a big bonus smile.gif

Now back to the main question - I think if you decide to practice for a year that you can make huge progress. When you feel confident to look for a band or jam with other people - that is the right time to start looking.

At first - I would suggest setting up small and realistic goals like : learn how to play hammer-ons, blues scale etc. Take it step by step. Main thing is to have fun when practicing, so choose lessons on GMC you find both doable and cool. Practicing those lessons will be so rewarding. If you find something boring - just don't do it smile.gif

Last ingredient to learning the instrument and becoming a good musician - surround yourself with like minded people, musicians. This is what has always driven me best and I learned so much just through "hanging out" with musicians.
Since you have introduced yourself here in the forum, you already know it. Hope to see you around.

When ready, check out our REC section and mentoring possibilities.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Thanks for great advice Bogdan.

I have one question about lessons. Lets say i choose a lesson like some short song (Lessons i see Gabriel Leopardi Gives, short song with emphasis on style ) or some finger style lesson like Spanish romance and so on ( right now cheching begginer stuff)....My question is what should i strive for. To play this absouletly without mistakes 10 times out of 10...So choose some stuff and practice it until perfection (well perfection in terms of my capability, that means right notes, no buzzed strings or some little mistakes..)... Or should i practice till i feel it is relatively easy but i cannot say i can nail it all the time ok...

I hope my Question is understandable. In short i am asking if it is better to choose some stuff and practice till u can play it blindly, or it is better to get to comfortable level and then move on and get more challenging stuff and new knowledge, thinking as i return i will probably been able to play older stuff easier, as i will expand my knowledge...

Thanks for other stuff and will surelly will check REC section in near future..

Thank u all...Great stuff

I would also like to point out a problem i have. I have this guitar teacher i go once a month maybe, to check the stuff i learned, to look for advice, to check things...Well, when i try to play infront of him some stuff, i get this performance anxiety...I play like shit..Like i just started to play guitar..The things i can play easy at home when i am alone infront of him i play like jerk...

I know people are different, some perform even better when the people are watching them, so my question is probably to people who had same problems as me, i feel like when people look at me or expect something from me, i get nervous, play bad.. How to get over this performance anxiety?

Thanks

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Dec 17 2013, 10:34 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Dec 17 2013, 11:21 AM
Zdravo Zbornaja!

Regards from Serbia - Welcome to the Fun Palace!!

+Quote Post
dreadlocks
Dec 17 2013, 11:34 AM
QUOTE (ZBORNAJA35 @ Dec 17 2013, 11:31 AM) *
Thanks for great advice Bogdan. I have one question about lessons. Lets say i choose a lesson like some short song (Lessons i see Gabriel Leopardi Gives, short song with emphasis on style ) or some finger style lesson like Spanish romance and so on ( right now cheching begginer stuff)....My question is what should i strive for. To play this absouletly without mistakes 10 times out of 10...So choose some stuff and practice it until perfection (well perfection in terms of my capability, that means right notes, no buzzed strings or some little mistakes..)... Or should i practice till i feel it is relatively easy but i cannot say i can nail it all the time ok... I hope my Question is understandable. In short i am asking if it is better to choose some stuff and practice till u can play it blindly, or it is better to get to comfortable level and then move on and get more challenging stuff and new knowledge, thinking as i return i will probably been able to play older stuff easier, as i will expand my knowledge... Thanks for other stuff and will surelly will check REC section in near future.. Thank u all...Great stuff I would also like to point out a problem i have. I have this guitar teacher i go once a month maybe, to check the stuff i learned, to look for advice, to check things...Well, when i try to play infront of him some stuff, i get this performance anxiety...I play like shit..Like i just started to play guitar..The things i can play easy at home when i am alone infront of him i play like jerk... I know people are different, some perform even better when the people are watching them, so my question is probably to people who had same problems as me, i feel like when people look at me or expect something from me, i get nervous, play bad.. How to get over this performance anxiety? Thanks

I can relate to your problem.. it happanes to me from time to time and I can give you my unprofessional advice if you want it. smile.gif

When you practice at home trying to bring a peace to perfection, you work on each section like you should but... forget to practice the "going between sections" (no idea how to say it in english)
so you got a "muscle memory" of each section but cant realy go between them without having to think a little bit .. and thats why infront of an audiance you (when you have less concentration and relay heavley on you "muscle memory" )

So what i suggest (and im totally guessing here) is you should put more focus on going between section and it will help you to play fluently and consistent.

*play with a metronom or a backing track is MUST I think playing with your self and playing with a backing keeoing the timing right are two different things

GOOD LUCK!

(AGAIN: unprofessional advice) it helped me and I thought it may help you )

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 17 2013, 01:48 PM
Instructor
Hello mate smile.gif Welcome to GMC! To add a bit to the answer below, in order to be able to play well on your own you must hone your inner clock - that is done with the aid of the metronome. The metronome is not just a tool for playing scales smile.gif You should be able to play anything against it, but that is done in time and with practice. Wanna know more? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 17 2013, 02:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZBORNAJA35 @ Dec 17 2013, 09:31 AM) *
I hope my Question is understandable. In short i am asking if it is better to choose some stuff and practice till u can play it blindly, or it is better to get to comfortable level and then move on and get more challenging stuff and new knowledge, thinking as i return i will probably been able to play older stuff easier, as i will expand my knowledge...

Hi my friend - welcome to GMC smile.gif

This is a good question.. personally I believe in the second approach. I believe we all learn better at anything when we are immersed in it. It's like learning to drive. You start with the basics but it still feels like it's too overwhelming. But, after a while, you notice that the first things you learned are now easier and now you're adding more things to it.

I think it's good to keep moving with your learning.. choose a song / lesson and practise it until you're competent at it (not necessarily perfect) and then start working on something else which is slightly more challenging but attainable enough. I'm talking about a song or lesson with a different tempo or some slightly harder chord changes. Making your brain and body attune to a new altitude of skill will make the other things you were working on much easier.

I believe immersion is the best way to learn anything. If we over focus on only one thing then we stifle it.. but if we relax our focus and allow ourselves to take in several subjects then bit by bit, things quietly progress without us noticing.. sooner or later you can lay something easily and it's a nice surprise !

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 17 2013, 04:21 PM
Instructor
Hey hello! smile.gif As Slavenko said (cool sentense smile.gif - wellcome to the fun palace smile.gif About practicing I will just share how it works with me. Sometimes I try so hard to play something but even if giving it a lot of time and practice it not always want to come out the way I would like it to be. So...when I feel I'm stucked I leave it and some other stuff on practice routines. After some time I go back to those things I left and see how the refer to my current progress. Otherwise I would probably get bored and leave guitar playing wink.gif

Important note - use Your practice stuff in You regular playing. Ability to use things we've learned in our improvising is atotally different story. Cheers! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 17 2013, 09:51 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (ZBORNAJA35 @ Dec 17 2013, 10:31 AM) *

I have one question about lessons. Lets say i choose a lesson like some short song (Lessons i see Gabriel Leopardi Gives, short song with emphasis on style ) or some finger style lesson like Spanish romance and so on ( right now cheching begginer stuff)....My question is what should i strive for. To play this absouletly without mistakes 10 times out of 10...So choose some stuff and practice it until perfection (well perfection in terms of my capability, that means right notes, no buzzed strings or some little mistakes..)... Or should i practice till i feel it is relatively easy but i cannot say i can nail it all the time ok...

I would also like to point out a problem i have. I have this guitar teacher i go once a month maybe, to check the stuff i learned, to look for advice, to check things...Well, when i try to play infront of him some stuff, i get this performance anxiety...I play like shit..Like i just started to play guitar..The things i can play easy at home when i am alone infront of him i play like jerk...

I know people are different, some perform even better when the people are watching them, so my question is probably to people who had same problems as me, i feel like when people look at me or expect something from me, i get nervous, play bad.. How to get over this performance anxiety?

Thanks

About practicing : this is really individual. I would say : practice something until you feel you should move on. The idea when practicing is to master the thing you wish to play as much as possible. But there is a hidden problem : depending on what you are working on, mastering the details or some specific hard licks or sections might take years due to development of some specific skills or techniques needed for it. This way, if you tried to play the specific piece perfectly, you might get stuck and discouraged.

Straight answer/suggestion would be: practice the piece until you feel relatively comfortable with it and feel that you should challenge yourself with something new. Still, keep repeating this one and perfecting it over time while focusing on something new. The key is to always keep yourself challenged and have fun learning and not get bored with anything.

What is important is to try to identify the weak spots and stuff that is holding you back so that you can put your attention to those details and overcome them. It can be anything really like : picking, bending, vibrato, scales theory etc...

About performance anxiety : this has also happened to me a lot of times. For me, it was always easier to play on the stage in front of thousands then to perform something for just 1 or 2 people. If they are musicians, then even worse my playing smile.gif

Things that can help you here could be :

- Practice recording your playing : just shoot some videos via webcam or your mobile phone (this is also what REC section is good for)

- Be comfortable with the piece you wish to perform as much as possible. The more practice time you put into it, the easier it will be to play it under stress. Knowing that you might "have problems in that specific section" would just add to the stress level.

- Get used to playing in front of other people : play for your friends and family, jam with fellow musicians and take it from there.

Some of this performance anxiety never goes away (for me at least) and I have learned to embrace it and find it a good thing in a way that it kinda makes me more careful/focused when playing on stage.

- Embrace the mistakes : this is not possible to avoid. Musicians make playing mistakes all the time. In the end, it is kinda more fun : would you rather see a guitarist playing a perfect solo on the concert, night by night or have him experiment and get challenged right on the stage (improvising and changing routine) and witness a possibly the "coolest solo ever" which was the fruit of that special moment. This usually means some mistakes too - but its part of the experience smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2013, 04:55 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! Welcome to the site...

"What can i expect from guitar if i put solid practice in?"

What can you expect?

Well, you can expect being able to express yourself, your own personality, your inner soul through your guitar and music. I find so beautiful to be able to transmit feelings and messages in other ways than words.

How?

With GMC and our (the instructors) help. So feel free to contact Cosmin, Ben, Darius, Bogdan or me and we will be ready to help you and guide you into this journey.

Enjoy GMC!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 18 2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 17 2013, 03:21 PM) *
Hey hello! smile.gif As Slavenko said (cool sentense smile.gif - wellcome to the fun palace smile.gif About practicing I will just share how it works with me. Sometimes I try so hard to play something but even if giving it a lot of time and practice it not always want to come out the way I would like it to be. So...when I feel I'm stucked I leave it and some other stuff on practice routines. After some time I go back to those things I left and see how the refer to my current progress. Otherwise I would probably get bored and leave guitar playing wink.gif

Important note - use Your practice stuff in You regular playing. Ability to use things we've learned in our improvising is atotally different story. Cheers! smile.gif

Best said! Darius has underlined a very important aspect of practicing smile.gif Until we hone a style for ourselves, which is a matter of much time spent playing, practicing, writing and playing onstage with other people, we tend to want to learn EVERYTHING. That is most of the times not possible and instead of becoming able to express ourselves we end up frustrated because we can't play this or that. Don't fall into this trap, as time solves everything. If you feel you are stuck, analyze the situation and be honest with yourself - maybe that certain something which creates trouble will be far easier to tackle later on.

+Quote Post
ZBORNAJA35
Dec 20 2013, 12:08 AM
Again thanks guys...for all the help...One more question (surely there will be many many more)...

Transcrabing...where to start? Now with 1,5 year of practice it is probably last time i start to develop ear. How much time of practice u reccomend to put into this ...and so on and so on...

Would be happy of any advice ...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2013, 07:03 AM
Todd here smile.gif GREAT QUESTION!!

HOW TO GET OVER PERFORMANCE ANXIETY.

SHORT ANSWER:

Perform in front of people more often! As often as possible! And here is the GREAT NEWS!!!!!! We have LIVE VIDEO CHAT lessons here on a pretty much daily basis (check the front page for schedule, I do two sessions every weekend and your more than welcome to join!) and you can turn on your web cam and play in front of fellow students and the instructor.

I'd say do this AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. The only way to get over performance anxiety (IMHO) is to perform!! You can read books, meditate, etc. and that's all great, but bottom line, you gotta perform in front of someone, even over the internet, until you get your "STAGE LEGS". Once you have them, you can play in front of folks not be crippled by anxiety. It's very normal to have performance anxiety. It's very very very rare not to have it. so your not alone smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (ZBORNAJA35 @ Dec 17 2013, 04:31 AM) *

Thanks

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:16 AM