Iconic Songs Recorded On Lower End Gear
Todd Simpson
Dec 23 2021, 06:29 AM
GMC:er
There are tons of songs recorded on questionable gear. The Eurythmics big hit SWEET DREAMS is one of these songs. They bought 5 grand worth of gear and went at it in a rented room in a old church. 3 to 5 is roughly what it costs to start up a home studio from scratch even today once you include computer/software/hardware/etc. Back when this was recorded in the early 80s, major hits were mostly recorded in traditional big budget studios. They bought a very early drum machine, an 8 track tascam and a little mixing console and used the pencil mic they already had for all vocal duties and bam. Huge hit song all the world over. It's a great example of how gear is really not the limiting factor. Great music can find a way to connect with people, even when recorded on less than optimal gear. smile.gif

Attached Image

It's often the quality of a song that is the most important thing. Not the quality of the gear that recorded it. Sure, great gear never hurts. But having a great song can overcome many things.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 23 2021, 04:10 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 22 2021, 10:29 PM) *
It's often the quality of a song that is the most important thing. Not the quality of the gear that recorded it. Sure, great gear never hurts. But having a great song can overcome many things.

It is ALWAYS the quality of the song that is the most important thing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 23 2021, 04:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm totally agree with you guys. smile.gif
The true is that if someone isn't able or inspired, all the gear in the world won't help them.

I think usually people overestimate what gear they need because are constantly dissatisfied by their own product. It's much easy to have the excuse that you can't shine because you don't have expensive gear than recognizing that your failure come from your own performance, composition and song arranging.

From my point of view any upgrades should happen when you achieve the point where your ideas and skills are limited by your current setup.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 23 2021, 05:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 23 2021, 05:29 AM) *
There are tons of songs recorded on questionable gear. The Eurythmics big hit SWEET DREAMS is one of these songs. They bought 5 grand worth of gear and went at it in a rented room in a old church. 3 to 5 is roughly what it costs to start up a home studio from scratch even today once you include computer/software/hardware/etc. Back when this was recorded in the early 80s, major hits were mostly recorded in traditional big budget studios. They bought a very early drum machine, an 8 track tascam and a little mixing console and used the pencil mic they already had for all vocal duties and bam. Huge hit song all the world over. It's a great example of how gear is really not the limiting factor. Great music can find a way to connect with people, even when recorded on less than optimal gear. smile.gif

And they used to use that album as a reference in high end audio demonstrations, along with Couldn't Stand The Weather by SRV

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2021, 06:21 AM
Well said smile.gif KEN A well. It really does come down to the quality of ones music, not the price of one's gear.

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Dec 23 2021, 11:54 AM) *
I'm totally agree with you guys. smile.gif
The true is that if someone isn't able or inspired, all the gear in the world won't help them.

I think usually people overestimate what gear they need because are constantly dissatisfied by their own product. It's much easy to have the excuse that you can't shine because you don't have expensive gear than recognizing that your failure come from your own performance, composition and song arranging.

From my point of view any upgrades should happen when you achieve the point where your ideas and skills are limited by your current setup.

Very true! He did an amazing job with very little gear imho. It goes to show that great results are possible on modest gear. Also that the song is always the thing no matter what.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 23 2021, 12:05 PM) *
And they used to use that album as a reference in high end audio demonstrations, along with Couldn't Stand The Weather by SRV

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 24 2021, 09:51 AM
Learning Roadie
Dave Stewart is one hell of a songwriter, musician, producer etc He really is the whole package.

I'm a great example of having great gear means nothing laugh.gif

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 26 2021, 09:11 PM
He really is a talented guy. Then again so are you! All this time and I never knew you were such an amazing vocalist!!

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 24 2021, 04:51 AM) *
Dave Stewart is one hell of a songwriter, musician, producer etc He really is the whole package.

I'm a great example of having great gear means nothing laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 3 2022, 03:57 PM
GMC Founder
Cool, and it just goes to show how budget cannot be an excuse these days. It almost wasn't back in the days, when recording equipment was actually expensive!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2022, 01:32 AM
Well said smile.gif The barrier to entry is pretty much gone. Anyone with a laptop can produce music. Really, anyone with an Ipad can produce music, and honestly, anyone with an iphone can produce music! Never before have we been at this level of sophistication in terms of great sounding tools being available for affordable prices. I've seen videos of folks using nothing more than an iphone and a cheap mobile audio interface to create very interesting stuff.

Back in the day when eurythmics did their thing, this kind of gear was still the price of a car. He was breaking grounding to a degree by doing it all DIY and leveraging the tech of the day like that ancient drum machine smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 3 2022, 10:57 AM) *
Cool, and it just goes to show how budget cannot be an excuse these days. It almost wasn't back in the days, when recording equipment was actually expensive!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 8 2022, 12:26 PM
GMC Founder
Exactly, if you really want to make music - even the cheapest of gears will allow you to do so.

I guess a used ipad or computer + sound interface might be the best value for money option.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 8 2022, 01:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
Equipment has gotten very good. A computer, audio interface and free plugins will get you very far. smile.gif

What are you guys favorite free VSTs? smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 8 2022, 02:47 PM
GMC Founder
I still just use the stock logic pro plugins. With a couple of great reverb, compressors, EQ, gain plugins you can do mix-and-match to for an infinite amount of possibilities.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:01 AM