2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Home Recording: Time For A Clean Install?
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2012, 06:48 PM
GMC:er
If you have noticed your music computer is feeling a tad sluggish, it might be time to take the plunge and do a CLEAN INSTALL. I love software/plugins, but I've gotten so many that recently my rig started feeling really slow and just scrolling down the menus to the right plugin was getting crazy. So....

1.)Back up all your project/source files
-To a seprate hard drive/thumb drive etc.

2.)Get all the software together first
-Drivers, Applications, serial numbers, operating system.

3.)Go for it and reap the benefits of a cleaner rig.

I have just wiped a drive clean, installed
1.)Operating system
2.)Reaper
3.)Ez drummer with expansions (DFH/Metal Heads/Midi packs)

and I'm SHOCKED AND AMAZED how much faster the rig feels. I was getting hiccups during playback and recording and now it's smooth as glass. Just wonderful!

I"m using an external drive for this so I can have a backup of the new configuration. Then I'll clone/copy this to a partition on my boot drive. I still have my old system installed in the primary boot partition/section/internal drive, just in case. But even working from an external boot drive the rig feels twice as fast.

I was well overdue for this but it made me think other folks may be having similar isssues and might benefit from the same fix. Let me know if I can help!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 16 2012, 08:25 PM
Instructor
This sounds like my idea of hell ! laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 16 2012, 08:42 PM
Tone Seeker
Well I just had a clean install few months ago when my HD was replaced.

But wiping all out and installing them back...so scary

This post has been edited by WeePee: Nov 16 2012, 08:43 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2012, 02:01 AM
It's got that going for it yeah smile.gif Keep in mind thought, I have not touched my original drive, it's still there. I just took an external drive and make it bootable and installed REAPER/EzDrummer/Overloud and BINGO! My fastest, smoothest DAW ever.

Booting from external drives on a Mac is pretty standard, but can PC folks tell me if that works for them too?

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 16 2012, 02:25 PM) *
This sounds like my idea of hell ! laugh.gif

Yup, if you don't have all your serial numbers etc. you can really bone things up. QUICK TIP!!!

1.)Get a google/gmail account if you don't have one.
2.)Create a Google Document (like microsoft word but lives online) with all your serial numbers calle SERIAL NUMBERS.
3.)Use a strong password on your Google account.

I keep all my serials in such a document to make install much easier and i keep a copy of all my application/installers on an external hard drive called INSTALLERS.

So making the new version today only took a couple hours. Gotta prep!!

Todd

QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 16 2012, 02:42 PM) *
Well I just had a clean install few months ago when my HD was replaced.

But wiping all out and installing them back...so scary

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Nov 17 2012, 02:33 AM
I don't know for sure it works with pc. I thought it did but I will let you know. You've inspired me to keep an external hard drive. My laptop sucks and am planning to up grade computers when I get some new gear shortly. I tried to clean up and organize some files the other day and screwed things up ROYALLY. Ended up having to reinstall a bunch of stuff. In fact I'm with Ben anything computer related usually makes me feel like this. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
geoboi
Nov 17 2012, 02:09 PM
Right you are Todd;
The school of hard knocks has taught me with a little forethought and preparation anyone can make new installs a snap and the benefits are immeasurable. Today's internet and all the crap you can be exposed to, your going to get a funky machine or the computer is going to fail. Everyone should have a Disaster Recovery plan and back your stuff up, especially those who are in business . This only means being responsible for your data, record keeping and being prepared.
On top of that I haven't run AntiVirus software for 2 Years now. Most ISP's filter Network Traffic for their own survival of Viruses. Malware is the culprit today and you invite that by downloading and opening stuff at your own risk, and antivirus software will not protect you from that, and I've found Malware programs don't work well either, they can be a problem themselves. After I wipe my Hard Drive I can be up and running in about 3hrs. I just sit there and play the guitar.
The advent of USB drives makes storage a piece of cake and be independent of the machine except when you need them. I would recommend to anyone using a computer to put some planning into it, google some how to information, get USB drives to store drivers, app's, nomenclature, etc. and brainstorm a centralized file system to keep everything organized and accessible for the new install and go for it. I put operating stuff on one USB and the rest on another. If you really want to be bullet proof get another drive to back all that to. It gets better as you become familiar with it. Of course this is at your own risk but having learned from hard knocks, I could care less what happens to my PC.
In fact I've been suffering from newly developed sound dropouts I can't isolate so I plan to reinstall after I get my next vids done. This will be my 3rd one since I've joined GMC, I've been downloading stuff like crazy.
When in doubt wipe it out! Be prepared to pay the consequences they can be good ones.

geo

This post has been edited by geoboi: Nov 17 2012, 02:17 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 17 2012, 02:49 PM
Instructor
George is right and he reminded me this very important aspect in another thread smile.gif And indeed, it's scary when you open up the PC and see what's going on inside biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Nov 17 2012, 04:31 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
I will give you all guys an idea/advice that will open up a whole new dimension for you for your work. This is something I use extensively both professionally and also for my non-professional guitar related and unrelated work/development. It will keep your hard drives clean, easy to backup and easy to remove when needed without effecting other parts of your hard drives: Virtual Machine ! Yes, get a virtual box and install new operating systems in your virtual boxes, these are called guest operating systems. This way you can have a separate virtual machine dedicated to lots of different things like guitar work, programming, your other hobbies, home entertainment etc.. It is easy to set up and easy to backup and easy to remove when you don't want it anymore and your original hard drives will stay clean and organized..

Here is a link for you to have a look if you are interested
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Cheers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Nov 17 2012, 09:45 PM
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 17 2012, 03:31 PM) *
I will give you all guys an idea/advice that will open up a whole new dimension for you for your work. This is something I use extensively both professionally and also for my non-professional guitar related and unrelated work/development. It will keep your hard drives clean, easy to backup and easy to remove when needed without effecting other parts of your hard drives: Virtual Machine ! Yes, get a virtual box and install new operating systems in your virtual boxes, these are called guest operating systems. This way you can have a separate virtual machine dedicated to lots of different things like guitar work, programming, your other hobbies, home entertainment etc.. It is easy to set up and easy to backup and easy to remove when you don't want it anymore and your original hard drives will stay clean and organized..

Here is a link for you to have a look if you are interested
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Cheers.

I like this idea too. Are these just for storage or can you keep programs there too?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Nov 17 2012, 10:50 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Nov 17 2012, 09:45 PM) *
I like this idea too. Are these just for storage or can you keep programs there too?

Yea you can keep programs. It is just a separate operating system running on your host machine smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 18 2012, 02:04 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I do this about once a month. I have a ton of stuff recorded and it adds up to like 100gb and raw data. I keep the majority of it on an EHDD just to keep the main PC running.

+Quote Post
geoboi
Nov 18 2012, 11:53 AM
I'm interested in your idea for my self.
So we have virtual machines running on a host...

What virtual machines do you use?

How do you use your apps with them? For instance what virtual machine would you run your browser on? What virtual machine would you run your DAW and video on? If you use business office suites what machine for that? I can see virtual machines Such as Linux, Oracle, or a Mac emulation or perhaps legacy OS's running on the host for specific purposes so I'm just asking how do you use your virtual machines with normal Windows apps?

Being virtual machines will it keep malware from hijacking or embedding in your executables such as sound cards, network adapters, printers and other background system functions of the host controller or other virtual machines? In other words is hosts system functions isolated like in a DMZ?

Thanks geo

This post has been edited by geoboi: Nov 18 2012, 12:30 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 18 2012, 01:58 PM
Instructor
Oh man this is getting serious biggrin.gif I have an image of the computer setup which is saved in the configuration that the computer had when everything was installed and working perfectly. In the nasty eventuality in which everything goes down in flames, I can always use that image to get my PC back the way it was smile.gif Unfortunately though, my electricity provider finds it appropriate to get me acquainted with power breaks pretty darn often so, I always need to think about protecting my stuff (lost a 600 GB HD due to those stupid power breaks..)

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 18 2012, 02:00 PM
Instructor
When I had Windows XP, I found this site that helped me to transform my lousy comp into a little beast - related to audio optimization.
Note that if you use a single comp for multiple purpose- internet ,your audio/video production etc, you always will have problems with freezing,slowing down, and other bugs !!

So, try this ,but as you know, everything you do - you do at your own risk

- Find some good software to clone your freshly installed OS with all the necessary applications, just in case. Norton Ghost was superior a few years ago.

- In the control panel, create a separate account just for audio production.This user account will allow you to turn off all system processes that aren't essential for your work.

- BLACK VIPER or FOCUSRITE

Happy hacking ! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sinisa Cekic: Nov 18 2012, 02:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 18 2012, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Wow! Thanks Sinisa - this seems pretty handy!

+Quote Post
geoboi
Nov 18 2012, 04:25 PM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Nov 18 2012, 06:00 AM) *
When I had Windows XP, I found this site that helped me to transform my lousy comp into a little beast - related to audio optimization.
Note that if you use a single comp for multiple purpose- internet ,your audio/video production etc, you always will have problems with freezing,slowing down, and other bugs !!

So, try this ,but as you know, everything you do - you do at your own risk

- Find some good software to clone your freshly installed OS with all the necessary applications, just in case. Norton Ghost was superior a few years ago.

- In the control panel, create a separate account just for audio production.This user account will allow you to turn off all system processes that aren't essential for your work.

- BLACK VIPER or FOCUSRITE

Happy hacking ! biggrin.gif

Howdy Sinisa
I forgot about Norton Ghost it's been so long. If I'm understanding you right your talking about completely installing your active drive with everything even user account, then Ghost (clone) it to another drive.
So after mal and adware or what ever has hosed up your pc enough you just ghost yourself to operation all the pathways are correct and everything is there. Is that about right?

Your control panel user account is to switch to so you can disable system sounds, windows animations etc. that use cpu power but switch back to the other account when you want to and you have a fully enabled use of Windows, yes?

Thanks
geo

PS; I just googled it and it's better than I remember. It'll actually put the image on a partition you don't even need another drive all though you may want one in the event of drive failure. It can even schedule backups and allow you select a variety of options.

Absolutely Brilliant thanks Sinisa!
I'm gonna migrate to this and forget my old ways. It sounds pert ner brainless. I'm one of those analytical types that can complicate zippin my pants up. laugh.gif

For those interested check out this link http://norton-ghost.en.softonic.com/

"Happy hacking" do I denote a bit of black hat history? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 18 2012, 08:19 PM
Instructor
Yes Geo ,that's right ! Now, two things..
- this applies to Windows XP. Windows 7 has a different system tuning, in fact - anything disabled in that other account will be reflected in the Main account - system process are GLOBAL !
Second, Xp occupied about 700MB hard disk space + other applications, all of that could fit on a single DVD of 4.5GB, with a double layer-9 GB,as a backup. I remember it well - it took me literally 3 minutes to reinstall everything and get a fresh OS with all apps.

These days one single serious program has such size, so you need a bigger storage,and cloning can be a horribly slow.. happy.gif

do I denote a bit of black hat history?

ph34r.gif ...hahahah, I wish ! I'd probably nowadays be sunbathing on a some yacht at Caribbean !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
geoboi
Nov 18 2012, 10:30 PM
Alright Sinisa!
I do use XP but I'm the sole user and don't care for the Windows bells and whistles. I've had problems with CD's and prefer USB drives.

To bad about the yacht. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 21 2012, 01:33 AM
Using an EXTERNAL hard drive to keep all your project files, recordings and such is CRUCIAL. Pro's do NOT typically like to keep their project files/etc on the root drive. It's just a bad idea in general. If you have no choice, then it is what it is, but if at all possible. DON"T KEEP PROJECT FILES/RECORDINGS on your root/boot/primary hard drive guys!!!!!

Just keep your software on your main drive. Your main drive should be 20% EMPTY at all times. Otherwise it creates other performance issues. I can't tell you how many laptops I've seen maxed to the edge with zero space left and then the poor guy wondering why it crashes all the time.

But beyond performance, the main reason is data integrity. Basically, if you primary drive goes down, your sunk. Here is how a typical semi-pro/pro computer recording setup should be hopefully configured.

DESKTOP/LAPTOP INTERNAL DRIVE
*Software Applications
*Operating System
*Plenty of FREE space

EXTERNAL DRIVE #1
*Project Files
*Recording Files

EXTERNAL DRIVE #2
*Automated Backup of Drive #1

DRIVES FAIL FOLKS!!!!! I keep all my project data on an external that backs up every night to another external. Hard drives are cheap. You'll have to re record everything you lose so don't do it.

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Nov 16 2012, 08:33 PM) *
I don't know for sure it works with pc. I thought it did but I will let you know. You've inspired me to keep an external hard drive. My laptop sucks and am planning to up grade computers when I get some new gear shortly. I tried to clean up and organize some files the other day and screwed things up ROYALLY. Ended up having to reinstall a bunch of stuff. In fact I'm with Ben anything computer related usually makes me feel like this. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 27 2012, 01:31 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I hate doing fresh installs of OS - its just so time consuming and everything, BUT it is so worth it!
Computer can feel like a new one when you reboot everything.

I like the emerging idea of "cloud" storage, its a hustle to keep up with all your files locally and then backup and everything. Having important stuff up in a cloud and accessible from any device is so useful.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:08 AM