> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Yoncopin's Thread, for Gab's Army
yoncopin
Mar 24 2016, 09:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, I finally "finished" Troy Stetina's To The Stage. Lots of new stuff, vibrato, pinch harmonics, and had to build a lot of speed. Comments?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 25 2016, 09:21 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, good job with this one.

It's a very intense solo and you can play everything at tempo really well. I think that the overall of your take is really good. There is only some room to adjust timing when playing fast pentatonic legato parts (as the last one), and you can also make your vibrato even more consistent. Sometimes it starts too quickly of the vibration isn't totally related with the backing.

Other than that you did a great job. Is there a youtube video of Troy playing this one?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 26 2016, 04:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 25 2016, 04:21 PM) *
Hi mate, good job with this one.

It's a very intense solo and you can play everything at tempo really well. I think that the overall of your take is really good. There is only some room to adjust timing when playing fast pentatonic legato parts (as the last one), and you can also make your vibrato even more consistent. Sometimes it starts too quickly of the vibration isn't totally related with the backing.

Other than that you did a great job. Is there a youtube video of Troy playing this one?

I couldn't find a video, but this is the audio recording from the book. I agree with everything you said here. I often do a better vibrato, the first and last parts being the major ones, but again this was a case of freezing up when hitting "record". I'll continue to work on the vibrato and speed exercises as I move to future lessons, I feel pretty good about where I got with this one, I'm glad you agree.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 27 2016, 02:00 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
... and here's the finished Tubescreamer! This is addicting, what kind of pedals do you use? I'm all about different boosts, overdrives, and distortions. I want to try them all! I did a MUCH better job at the finishing for this one, both inside and out.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Mar 27 2016, 02:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2016, 02:46 AM
Instructor
Wou! I love how it looks!! Is it available for ordering one?? biggrin.gif

I'm currenly using a 2 in 1 pedal called Dr Jekyll & Hyde which has an overdrive and a distortion, a wah wah bad horsie, a volume pedal, a chorus ce-5 ensemble, and just bought a delay memory man with hazarai. I also use a lot Phraser but now it's broken so I need to get one... I also have a reverb and some other delays but not now at my pedalboard for playing with my band.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 29 2016, 01:02 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 27 2016, 09:46 PM) *
Wou! I love how it looks!! Is it available for ordering one?? biggrin.gif

I'm currenly using a 2 in 1 pedal called Dr Jekyll & Hyde which has an overdrive and a distortion, a wah wah bad horsie, a volume pedal, a chorus ce-5 ensemble, and just bought a delay memory man with hazarai. I also use a lot Phraser but now it's broken so I need to get one... I also have a reverb and some other delays but not now at my pedalboard for playing with my band.

Thanks! If you want anything, I'd be happy to make you one for free, you've been a great help to me. Right now, I'm building meat and potatoes one, the classics. Next, I want to try some clones of really expensive/rare effects, like the AnalogMan King of Tone LovePedal Eternity, etc... I'm having so much fun with it!

I think I'm actually going to get a tube amp today to support this direction. I tried a new Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo this weekend and it was really killer. Kind of a Bassman / JT45 hybrid and the wattage was really controllable for comfortable volumes. I sold an unused bass amp to make some room, and am so excited to explore how pedals and amps work together.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 29 2016, 03:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Mar 29 2016, 09:02 AM) *
Thanks! If you want anything, I'd be happy to make you one for free, you've been a great help to me. Right now, I'm building meat and potatoes one, the classics. Next, I want to try some clones of really expensive/rare effects, like the AnalogMan King of Tone LovePedal Eternity, etc... I'm having so much fun with it!

I think I'm actually going to get a tube amp today to support this direction. I tried a new Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo this weekend and it was really killer. Kind of a Bassman / JT45 hybrid and the wattage was really controllable for comfortable volumes. I sold an unused bass amp to make some room, and am so excited to explore how pedals and amps work together.

Wou! That's so promising mate! I'd be happy of using one of your pedals! Let's discuss something cool! smile.gif

I don't know the meat and potatoes, what is it?

and also one of these? https://youtu.be/O7tYWQ4C8r4 Awesome!

Why don't you start your own brand?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 30 2016, 03:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 29 2016, 10:24 AM) *
Wou! That's so promising mate! I'd be happy of using one of your pedals! Let's discuss something cool! smile.gif

I don't know the meat and potatoes, what is it?

and also one of these? https://youtu.be/O7tYWQ4C8r4 Awesome!

Why don't you start your own brand?

By "meat and potatoes" I just mean "the basics". No branding for me, it's way too much work to build these smile.gif Just for myself and friends. I've thought I might make two every time, one to sell and one to keep, to try and keep the cost down. I'm not sure if it would work though, I don't know who would buy it. Chinese pedals are so cheap now, but I'll probably give it a try.

Yes, let's build you something cool! The Gab/Cirse "signature" pedal smile.gif I did some research on your Jekyll & Hyde and it seems like a Tubescreamer and Marshall Shredmaster in one box. There are so many designs out there. The first question is what type of pedal (overdrive/distortion/boost/etc...) Then, what general tone (vintage/high gain/etc...) We can find some promising circuits to start from, I don't have the experience to start from scratch, but at this point no one really does that anyway.

I did buy the Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo yesterday. It's great!!! The difference in dynamics and feel vs the Pod is very noticeable. Hit the strings hard and the overdrive sort of blooms whereas playing softly is more clean. I love it, it's really going to be a great tool. I actually found my playing sounded worse through the amp vs the modeler? Does that make sense? Mistakes seemed to be more obvious, like bend pitches.... is that just me or is a tube amp less forgiving?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 30 2016, 08:50 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, great stuff!

I think that well done hand made boutique pedals will be always a choice over cheap pedals done in series so I think that you have a chance if you work on fresh stuff, with high quality sound and also think on cool concepts behind pedal names and design.

Building my signature pedal sounds awesome! smile.gif About what kind of pedal, I'm a big fan of overdrives so I think it could be a good choice to go for one. I honestly use my jekyll & hyde mostly because of its overdrive. I've found this new pedal (http://truetone.com/v3-series/vs-xo/) which seems to be perfect since it has two overdrive in one that can be used separated or together... I don't know how difficult is to build something like this but it's tricky we can search a simple overdrive pedal around it in terms of tone.

Congrats on your new amp! And yes, the feel is different when you play the real thing and it's normal that you have to get use to its dynamics and sustain. Then, you will miss it every time you don't have it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Mar 31 2016, 04:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 30 2016, 03:50 PM) *
I think that well done hand made boutique pedals will be always a choice over cheap pedals done in series so I think that you have a chance if you work on fresh stuff, with high quality sound and also think on cool concepts behind pedal names and design.

We'll see... I'm going to make some for friends. Maybe they'll show it to someone, who is willing to pay for something. Ideally I just want to cover the cost of materials so I can keep making more.

I looked at the Truetone VS XO, this one's definitely taking it up a notch, but I think I can do it and the challenge is good. So, I think the left side is a Truetone Open Road Overdrive, which is based on a Nobels ODR-1 overdrive. The right seems to be based on a Klon Centaur or a Maxon OD820. Does that all sound about right? Those circuits are available for DIYers, so I think we can adapt them to the double pedal enclosure with the dual output jacks. Sound good?

What color enclosure were you thinking? We can probably do just about anything here.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Mar 31 2016, 04:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2016, 02:00 PM
Instructor
yeah, you can start with friends but then, creating on online store is not a bad idea. You can also start a youtube channel where you can create video tests as a way to promote them. As everything, it takes time but if you are well focused you can have good results. That's how started most of the brands.

The plan for the pedal sounds great. What do you mean by dual output jacks? stereo out put? or mono out put that mixes both overdrive?

and regarding this....
What color enclosure were you thinking? We can probably do just about anything here.

What do you mean by "anything"? also designs? or one colour?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 1 2016, 02:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 1 2016, 09:00 AM) *
What do you mean by dual output jacks? stereo out put? or mono out put that mixes both overdrive?

The same way the XS VO works, it's basically just two pedals in one box. It has 1 out and 1 in for each side, you can route the two pedals separately with 4 cables or use the internal connection which cascades the pedals together using 2 cables.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 1 2016, 09:00 AM) *
What do you mean by "anything"? also designs? or one colour?

Yeah color, graphics, knobs, whatever. Any ideas or inspiration for what you want it to look like? I have some ideas but thought you might like to have some input. I'm not sure what your personal style/taste is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2016, 06:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Apr 1 2016, 10:55 AM) *
The same way the XS VO works, it's basically just two pedals in one box. It has 1 out and 1 in for each side, you can route the two pedals separately with 4 cables or use the internal connection which cascades the pedals together using 2 cables.

Ah ok, that's great!

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Apr 1 2016, 10:55 AM) *
Yeah color, graphics, knobs, whatever. Any ideas or inspiration for what you want it to look like? I have some ideas but thought you might like to have some input. I'm not sure what your personal style/taste is.

I'm really curious about your ideas. I don't have clear ideas but I can write a list of elements that I like.

Favourite colours: Black, Green & Red. (we can go for one of these)

Stuff that I like: Owls, skulls, Trees, Eagles

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 3 2016, 01:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, that's all perfect. I just needed a hint of inspiration, I'll do the rest smile.gif Now comes the hardest part.... waiting.

So here's the plan, I'm going to make a big parts order for this and a few other projects and that takes some time. I'm going to try a new retailer in Thailand which sells stuff a lot cheaper. When I get that in, I'm going to build a couple of those overdrives I mentioned (without boxing them) and make sure they're a good pairing, since they'll be put in one box.

After that comes the box finishing, which is really the longest part, lots of waiting for stuff to dry.

I'll post some progress here and maybe we can exchange some sound samples, etc... It's going to take a while to finish this, but the process should be fun smile.gif. In the meantime, I need to find a new GMC lesson to practice...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 4 2016, 03:26 AM
Instructor
This sounds so good! It would be great to have a thread where you share this project and share how it progress day by day. I'm obviously anxious to get it but being a musician has trained me to be patient... if you don't learn to be patient as a musician you suffer too much. ohmy.gif

About choosing a new lesson, I'd like to help you. Maybe some guides as I did for the pedal? Then, I'll find the right one/s.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 4 2016, 02:24 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome! I'm going to start a new thread for the pedal building. I'll post our progress on this project there as well as any other projects I'm working on. I hope you'll track the thread, like my army thread, because I'd love your feedback on not just your pedal but also on other ones I may make. I made a huge parts order last night, can't wait to get it in smile.gif

I watched this awesome documentary yesterday Fuzz: The Sound that Revolutionized the World, it's all about boutique pedal building and the guys who do it. They all pretty much started like you said. Right now I'm just cloning circuits, but I'm trying to challenge myself with each one so that I can mod and design my own soon.

So, I need real musicians to test and give me feedback on the designs, that's where you come in wink.gif I mentioned it before, but right now I just want to pay for the materials so I can keep building affordably. Is it ok if in my new pedal thread if I offer to build pedals for other GMCers at cost? I'm not looking to profit, just be able to make more and learn.

As for a new lesson, the new amp and pedals have been inspiring me to play classic blues rock. I'd like to learn something like Hendrix or SRV. I was considering just trying to learn an actual Hendrix solo, Voodoo Child or something, but the tunings are often Eb. I just did the metal solo, so I think it's time for a change of pace. What do you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 4 2016, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, this is a great idea! Count with me to follow the thread and receive all the feedback that you need regarding this amazing project. I'll bookmark that documentary! Very interesting, thanks! smile.gif I even think that you should share this documentary at the pedal thread as well as some other interesting stuff related to the topic. It can make it even more attractive for everybody here.

About offering pedals at cost, I don't think that there is a problem with it but to stay safe please contact GMC admin to tell about the idea and they will help you on how to deal with it.

Hendrix style? That's a cool idea! It's cool to learn some of his solos as well as get into his way of creating solos and rhythm using double stops based on Pentatonic and chord scales. You can choose any song that you like and you'll learn a lot about this. About the tuning, you can pitch the original, or use any other youtube cover to learn it. There are many recorded using standard tuning. (like this one: https://youtu.be/ggdhypZwAZQ)

Some gmc lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Double-Stop-Ballad/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Jimi-H...x-Rhythm-Style/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Jimi_H...ohn_Frusciante/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 19 2016, 05:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've been spending a lot of time lately developing my analog multi-fx rack, it's really getting there! At the same time I've been working Javier's Double Stop Ballad like you recommended. It's coming along nicely, but I was considering a change to my practice routine and wanted to see what you thought.

Up until now I've only had the time and focus to grind on one lesson hard until I get it. As I've started to learn harder lessons, they take much longer to perfect and I've been getting kind of bored. I want to spice things up and add some variety, so I'm going to try to work on a few things in one practice session, we'll see how this goes.

I've talked about my speed limits before, so I PMed Todd about working through his Shred Bootcamp. I'm going to continue Double Stop Ballad, and have started learning Judas Priest Style Riffing for a style change-up.

What do you think, too much?

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 20 2016, 08:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
and here's Shred Journey Lesson 1!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 20 2016, 09:07 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, great stuff!

If this keeps you motivated and playing, it's ok! I don't think that it's too much because everything is related to make your playing more consistent and expand it. I have to say that working on the shred journey is a GREAT idea, and that the first vid that you've done sounds very good.

Regarding the multiFX rack, wou!! Can't wait to see it working! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:35 AM