3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Guess The Time Signature!
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 22 2013, 10:04 AM
Instructor
Time for some more food for your ears tongue.gif

Let's guess the time signature of the songs posted in here and as before, the one that guess gets to post a song and ask the question biggrin.gif

Ready? I'll start with a classic:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Feb 22 2013, 10:13 AM
GMC:er
Take Five is definitely in 7/8.

(Kidding tongue.gif)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamB
Feb 22 2013, 11:17 AM
Spoiler:

5/4

+Quote Post
BTrian
Feb 22 2013, 01:30 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm going to like this thread smile.gif

@ Connor:
no I think it's rather in 4/4 tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 22 2013, 03:54 PM
Instructor
Hehe AdamB - you are right smile.gif Your turn to post an odd time song tongue.gif

+Quote Post
AdamB
Feb 22 2013, 05:28 PM
I don't really know any tbh, I only know sevens and fives by gurthrie govan, which would be pointless as the title gives it away! The only other one I know uses odd time sigs is;

It's *really* long, as it was a sort of concept EP. Just do the first minute or two I guess? There are multiple time signatures that switch quite often, so try to name as many as you can! heh.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Feb 22 2013, 05:39 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Sounds like 5/4 to me. At least at the start.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 22 2013, 06:03 PM
Tarkus is a lot of 5/4 and then it actually goes into 4/4 at about 1:00. some of the 'transitions' seem like bars of 6/4(?)

Mahavishnu (just the main riff from 0:13 to 0:55) ...

Hint: the tempo is quick.

+Quote Post
Peter VP
Feb 22 2013, 06:40 PM
Experienced Tone Master
I counted and thought 5/8 but I see that it's really 5/4. How can I hear if it's x/4 or x/8?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 22 2013, 08:45 PM
This would probably be a good question for Matt (the prof).

Don't feel too bad, it's not always so easy to tell.
As a very very general rule listen for the individual beats. For example: if the phrasing feels like the first vid that Cos posted, (Take 5) in 5/4, and you can def feel and hear the individual beats with a big accent on beats 5 and 4 then 5/4 is a good guess.
Another general rule - if it's 'fast' think of it in x/8 ... 'slow' - x/4
Also, when listening, try to determine if there's another subdivision that you feel/hear. In 6/8 as opposed to 6/4 we tend to feel it in 2 - 1₂₃ 2₂₃ ... as opposed to a very even 123456.
A lot of the determining has a lot to do with how the writer wrote it. 5/8 and 6/8 are pretty easy to write beamed 1/8 notes for the subdivision of the measure.
Some decent example on a wiki page ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintuple_meter
No great explanation as to why though.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 22 2013, 08:59 PM

+Quote Post
The Professor
Feb 22 2013, 10:13 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (SoundShapingDotCom @ Feb 22 2013, 05:40 PM) *
I counted and thought 5/8 but I see that it's really 5/4. How can I hear if it's x/4 or x/8?

Thanks!

That's a tough one, but a good question!

For me, I try and hear the pulse of the song, so if there is a kick drum accent, or a bassline that is laying out quarter notes then I will go with that and call something 5/4. But, if the accent is more on the 8th notes, say in a guitar line or keyboard part, then you could call it 10/8.

It is usually a matter of the accents and the pulse of the song. But, if you were thinking something like 10/8 and the song was in 5/4 it's not a huge mistake. You might still be able to play it fine, but in writing it out you might run into trouble with notating a song in 10/8 if you are thinking 5/4.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 23 2013, 07:43 AM
Instructor
Great input Matt and Ken smile.gif

For me it was also a matter of studying accents when trying to figure out the time signature of a song - at some point I was jamming with this crazy drummer who told me 'Hey what if I create a groove that is 4/4 and 3/8' Would it be accepted to look at it as 11/8? If phrased in such a way, of course. He thought of the 4/4 as 8/8, plus 3/8 it would give him 11/8.

+Quote Post
Fayeed Tan
Feb 23 2013, 07:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Feb 22 2013, 10:13 AM) *
Take Five is definitely in 7/8.

(Kidding tongue.gif)

I actually tried counting on 7/8 before I saw "kidding" on the bottom of your reply biggrin.gif laugh.gif LOL!

The result was this really wicked metric modulation, playing 7's over 5's. Which sounded cool biggrin.gif

--------------------
https://soundcloud.com/fayeedtan/el-nino-original-version
FOLLOW ME! www.facebook.com/fayeedtan
SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/user/Fayeedtan/
FOLLOW ME! www.twitter.com/FayeedTAN
FOLLOW ME! www.soundcloud.com/fayeedtan

+Quote Post
BTrian
Feb 23 2013, 08:57 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 22 2013, 06:03 PM) *
Tarkus is a lot of 5/4 and then it actually goes into 4/4 at about 1:00. some of the 'transitions' seem like bars of 6/4(?)

Mahavishnu (just the main riff from 0:13 to 0:55) ...

Hint: the tempo is quick.

great one, actually got this album but haven't listened to it for ages

If I count right, it's 9/8 and indeed quite quick smile.gif

edit: next one

This post has been edited by BTrian: Feb 23 2013, 09:00 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 23 2013, 09:45 AM
Yes sir, 9/8 it is!

+Quote Post
Peter VP
Feb 23 2013, 11:55 AM
Experienced Tone Master
Thanks for the replies very informational. I would love to see more of these challenges in the future, thanks!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 23 2013, 05:19 PM
21/8 for the S. Wilson? (or 21/4 - it's kind of slow feeling)
Or a 'compound' time sig - one bar of 10/8 and one bar of 11/8 maybe?
10½ / 4 ... ?

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 23 2013, 05:21 PM

+Quote Post
BTrian
Feb 23 2013, 10:19 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 23 2013, 05:19 PM) *
21/8 for the S. Wilson? (or 21/4 - it's kind of slow feeling)
Or a 'compound' time sig - one bar of 10/8 and one bar of 11/8 maybe?
10½ / 4 ... ?

I also got 21/8 on this one so you're up for the next one.
(hard to tell one definitive way of splitting this thing into smaller bars, 10/8 + 11/8 works, but so does 11/8 + 10/8 and some other things, too)

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 23 2013, 10:38 PM
You know what? - though it's phrased in larger groupings of 21 ... now I just think it's 7/8 (with 3 bar phrases).
It's a lot simpler to count that way, lol!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 23 2013, 11:53 PM
More Mahavishnu. Why do I post a lot Maha Orch? This band is the mac daddy of odd times in a rock/jazz context. If you can get the time sigs in this $h1t - you can get anything!

This one has multiple answers (that's a hint actually). There's two different feels in this tune, 0:11 - 0:44 and at 2:52. Both are in the same time sig (or multiple of).

*One of the best (and most influential) albums for 'hearing' odd time sigs is Don Ellis' - "Electric Bath". Nothing on the record is in 4/4 but it's all pretty straight forward and relatively easy to hear. It's actually big band jazz from the late '60s - but don't let that scare you - it's super hip (even today) and it influenced EVERYBODY who was doing anything that was slightly prog or fusion at the time and I'm sure still today.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...0.0...0.0...1ac.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 24 2013, 01:26 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:09 AM