Introduction
Machadaynu
Aug 5 2012, 10:37 AM
GMC:er
Hi,

I need to introduce myself I suppose.

I'm a big fan of power metal. Sonata Arctica is one of my favorites. I own 2 Ibanez, one is the XG300 (glaive), and the other is a RG1570.
I also own a few crappy ones not worth mentioning.... actually when I think about it, the XG300 is pretty crappy as well...

I'm from Fort Lauderdale, FL USA. I'm currently living in Virginia beach, VA. also in the USA. My job takes me to a lot of places, some good some bad. Best place I've visited was definitely Singapore... Worst place, probably Djibouti... or Naples, IT...

I've been playing for about 5 years now and I feel like I'm not getting better. I think I've hit a plateau. Unfortunately, work and family don't leave me with much practice time.

I hope GMC can help me out.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 5 2012, 12:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome to GMC! smile.gif

Sometimes when you are practicing its hard to notice the progress until it really hits you in the face. The more you make progress the "less visible aspects" start improving (tone, dynamics, timing). You are still making progress but its not easy to notice. Try recording videos of your playing (and join GMC REC section). I would also suggest finding some lessons on GMC that you really like and that are out of your standard style/routine and tackling them (like a country lesson, jazz, funk or even something more exotic).

It must be really cool to travel all around the world - Singapore sounds like an amazing place to visit!

See you in the forum! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 5 2012, 01:36 PM
Instructor
Hey and welcome to GMC !

I hate those plateau feelings.. I usually find that it helps to narrow your focus and spend some time on improving something really basic to give you a boost and to feel like you're making visible progress smile.gif

Any particular aspects you're having any issues with ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 5 2012, 02:58 PM
Instructor
Mate, you've come to the right place wink.gif Welcome!

GMC is the spot for the ones wanting to improve, so as my comrade Ben said, let us know with what specific things you would need help with and we will aid you in your quest wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 5 2012, 04:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
You've been to Djibouti and Naples? You must've been in the military biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2012, 09:12 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Welcome to the site! I recommend you to join any of the mentoring programs to let us help you with your progress. GMC is a great place to improve your playing and to really notice it thanks to cool features like the REC program, the collabs and the mentoring.
Enjoy the site and let us know how we can help you. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 5 2012, 11:08 PM
You've come to the right place smile.gif I"m a big IBANEZ fan myself! Jump in to video chats and the forums. You'll be getting better before you know it!

Todd

QUOTE (Machadaynu @ Aug 5 2012, 05:37 AM) *
Hi,

I need to introduce myself I suppose.

I'm a big fan of power metal. Sonata Arctica is one of my favorites. I own 2 Ibanez, one is the XG300 (glaive), and the other is a RG1570.
I also own a few crappy ones not worth mentioning.... actually when I think about it, the XG300 is pretty crappy as well...

I'm from Fort Lauderdale, FL USA. I'm currently living in Virginia beach, VA. also in the USA. My job takes me to a lot of places, some good some bad. Best place I've visited was definitely Singapore... Worst place, probably Djibouti... or Naples, IT...

I've been playing for about 5 years now and I feel like I'm not getting better. I think I've hit a plateau. Unfortunately, work and family don't leave me with much practice time.

I hope GMC can help me out.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Machadaynu
Aug 6 2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and suggestions. I'll try to put up a video at some point.

Any suggestions as to what I should rec myself doing?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 6 2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Machadaynu @ Aug 5 2012, 11:43 PM) *
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and suggestions. I'll try to put up a video at some point.

Any suggestions as to what I should rec myself doing?

Hey man smile.gif You could record your favorite riff/ song/ solo which you feel comfortable playing. When you play something you like very much, you will pay attention to everything, as you know very well how that song/ piece sounds.

smile.gif Looking forward to your recording

+Quote Post
Machadaynu
Aug 8 2012, 02:16 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 6 2012, 08:37 AM) *
Hey man smile.gif You could record your favorite riff/ song/ solo which you feel comfortable playing. When you play something you like very much, you will pay attention to everything, as you know very well how that song/ piece sounds.

smile.gif Looking forward to your recording

Cool.

I'll put up something as soon as I have free time!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 8 2012, 03:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Machadaynu @ Aug 7 2012, 10:16 PM) *
Cool.

I'll put up something as soon as I have free time!

Great! looking forward your video! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Machadaynu
Aug 30 2012, 02:09 AM

Ok so it took me a lot longer than I thought. Than again, I thought I wouldn't be going to to sea for a month.

I must warn you all that
I had not had a chance to play in about a month.

This post has been edited by Machadaynu: Aug 30 2012, 02:11 AM

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Aug 30 2012, 04:27 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC, man!

I watched your vid - you have pretty nice right hand technique!
Practice, using metronome, it will take your playing to next level! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 30 2012, 08:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Machadaynu @ Aug 30 2012, 02:09 AM) *

Ok so it took me a lot longer than I thought. Than again, I thought I wouldn't be going to to sea for a month.

I must warn you all that
I had not had a chance to play in about a month.

Sounding good, man.. that's not bad at all. Just a few moments of hesitation when changing between licks and chords in some places. I would say your left hand could do with some attention just to make your fingers move with a bit more fluidity because at the moment it wouldn't take much to make them stumble over each other. So we should get to work on those right away. Either some legato or alternate picking work will contain some good shapes to get those piggies working !

You've got a good picking technique already so that's something to work from. You've got the speed so I think you can concentrate more on things like hand co-ordination.. things that will make your left hand work and also test your picking hand with crossing strings etc.

How are you on stuff like this ?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch-II/

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 30 2012, 09:32 AM
Instructor
Just to underline what Ben has already observed - the thing which you need to work on, is co-ordination between the left and right hand. It seems to me that your right hand is more advanced than your left. Legato should build the strength of your left hand and then co-ordination exercises should help you reach the desired speed with both hands together smile.gif Ben's lesson suggestion is very good - try it!

+Quote Post
Machadaynu
Aug 31 2012, 03:49 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 30 2012, 07:47 AM) *
Sounding good, man.. that's not bad at all. Just a few moments of hesitation when changing between licks and chords in some places. I would say your left hand could do with some attention just to make your fingers move with a bit more fluidity because at the moment it wouldn't take much to make them stumble over each other. So we should get to work on those right away. Either some legato or alternate picking work will contain some good shapes to get those piggies working !

You've got a good picking technique already so that's something to work from. You've got the speed so I think you can concentrate more on things like hand co-ordination.. things that will make your left hand work and also test your picking hand with crossing strings etc.

How are you on stuff like this ?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch-II/

To be honest, not very good. I'll definitely be practicing this, though.

+Quote Post
Blister
Aug 31 2012, 04:45 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Machadaynu @ Aug 5 2012, 05:37 AM) *
...I've been playing for about 5 years now and I feel like I'm not getting better. I think I've hit a plateau. Unfortunately, work and family don't leave me with much practice time.

Welcome to GMC & I have no doubt you've come to the right place! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:13 PM