Reaction And Analysis: Satch - Surfing With The Alien (live)
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 2 2022, 11:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
This one goes out to you, Phil. cool.gif

Cause of the recent talk about Satch here , and due to the fact that I've never really gotten into Satch, Phil asked me to check out Surfing with the Alien, so here's a quick reaction and short analysis of some techniques.

EDIT: I had to put a black square over the video of Satch playing the song for copyright reasons.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 3 2022, 10:34 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
That was very interesting, thanks buddy.

So, did you form any new opinions on Satch? When I listen to him nowadays, I realise how many herbs and spices he adds to his musical stew, it's amazing really.

Thanks did doing that buddy.

cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 3 2022, 10:50 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 3 2022, 11:34 AM) *
That was very interesting, thanks buddy.

So, did you form any new opinions on Satch? When I listen to him nowadays, I realise how many herbs and spices he adds to his musical stew, it's amazing really.

Thanks did doing that buddy.

cool.gif

I've always enjoyed Satch for his front-running, and obviously I've heard some songs throughout the years, watched G3's and such. It's almost impossible not to come across Satch/Vai when being into shred-stuff. I think in many ways I probably hit the second wave after Satch had come along. So, the 80's, Vai, Petrucci and some of those artists that he had probably paved the way for a bit.

The songs I've heard from his earlier days definitely sound more interesting to me than the ones from his new album, which I actually listened to.

I think my own style sort of lends itself more to the ballad-ish playing, where as most of the Satriani songs that I heard was more up-tempo songs (such as Surfing with the Alien, Satch Boogie, Summer Song and such), and I think I initially diverted towards Vai for that reason. I know Satriani has slower emotional songs too of course, but I think the faster Rock'n'Roll/blues influence I heard in Satch never really spoke that much to me. I don't mind blues of course, but then it's usually more the slower kind (think Gary Moore).

I have no doubt also taken some pointers from Satch's legato over the years. Some of the things I do is definitely inspired by his 3-note per string legato stuff.

Regardless though, I think it's always great to go back to our roots and back to what really motivates and inspires us to play, whether that's classical guitar, Gilmour, Petrucci - or Satriani. So I really think you working on Always With Me, Always With You is fantastic!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 3 2022, 02:15 PM
Here's a technique to try, I'm not sure if Satch invented it but it's called the "Lizard Down The Throat".

Go to 2:04 on the studio track, there's quite a few whammy tricks just before but the lizard is at 2:04 cool.gif

Studio
https://youtu.be/eyVWQH7jIg8

Live
https://youtu.be/o1uO3z0bCTQ

I tried but couldn't get the coordination between my two hands, it's harder than rubbing your belly while patting your head biggrin.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 11 2022, 09:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 3 2022, 03:15 PM) *
Here's a technique to try, I'm not sure if Satch invented it but it's called the "Lizard Down The Throat".

Go to 2:04 on the studio track, there's quite a few whammy tricks just before but the lizard is at 2:04 cool.gif

Studio
https://youtu.be/eyVWQH7jIg8

Live
https://youtu.be/o1uO3z0bCTQ

I tried but couldn't get the coordination between my two hands, it's harder than rubbing your belly while patting your head biggrin.gif

Cheers

If we're talking about the same thing cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 11 2022, 09:18 PM
You got it buddy cool.gif

I tried for ages but couldn't control the whammy, both hands try to move the same amount laugh.gif

I knew you'd get it. smile.gif

As an aside, apparently Satch invented this technique. https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/140394/ (towards the bottom). I sometimes wonder if there are any new techniques to come.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 11 2022, 09:22 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2022, 02:27 AM
GMC:er
It does require a bit of whammy control to be sure. if you are not used to doing much whammy work, especially combining it with left hand work while hunting for a given pitch, it could be tricky indeed. Still, I think you could do it if you wanted to smile.gif Just a matter of practice.

Doing DIME whammy harmonics is quite a bit easier imho.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 11 2022, 04:18 PM) *
You got it buddy cool.gif

I tried for ages but couldn't control the whammy, both hands try to move the same amount laugh.gif

I knew you'd get it. smile.gif

As an aside, apparently Satch invented this technique. https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/140394/ (towards the bottom). I sometimes wonder if there are any new techniques to come.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:23 PM