What Scale(s) Am I Using?, Diabolical Guitar Solo
thefireball
Apr 23 2016, 07:17 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys.

I'm working on a project composed by ear. This is just a piece of the entire song.
What scale or scales am I using? It reminds me a little of Per Nilsson in the middle. smile.gif

Is there an easy way to figure out what scales were used after you write a solo? Since I don't really know many scales, I don't set out to write a solo based on a particular scale. I just listened to my heart on this one. I don't normally write dark solos like this.

So, does this work, you think? It sounds good to my ears. Trying to figure out how it works if it does actually work musically.

Thanks.
Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Diabolical_Guitar_Solo.mp3 ( 1.27MB ) Number of downloads: 105

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 23 2016, 07:43 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is a great question but one I can't answer I'm afraid. It's one of the things I always think about when I read magazines and they talk about players using notes from different scales in a solo.

I'll be following this one very keenly

Thanks Brandon smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 24 2016, 06:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks. Maybe we can get some instructors in here. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2016, 03:07 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, this is a very interesting solo. It cool to record something only based on sounds instead of scales and then analyse what you've used. I think that this is the best way to avoid scale shapes limit us.

I've analysed different licks of this solo and I've noted that you are using different modes of the Harmonic Minor scale. In other words, you are always playing Harmonic minor scale but starting from different roots: C harmonic minor, G harmonic minor and F harmonic minor. As the modal root chord here is G, we can say that you start with the IV mode, then with the I mode (harmonic minor) and finally you use the VII mode.

This is how I would explain this solo. You can also be playing diminished scale here which shares notes with some of these modes, but it is not only one diminished scale, you can be switching from half whole to whole half.

Check this thread about harmonic minor modes: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=50246

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 25 2016, 03:53 PM
GMC:er
Overall, if you had to pick one tonal center or scale ...
I hear it as C Phrygian dominant (or, phrygian natural 3).
C Db E F G Ab Bb C.

In the beginning you do use some other notes. I'd just call them 'chromatic' passing tones.
Starting at :10 you're using C phryg dom exclusively.

*This scale is also used heavily in Jewish music. They call it 'Freygish' (relating to phrygian).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 25 2016, 03:55 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 25 2016, 05:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is great, inspiring and, to me, liberating smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 26 2016, 03:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 25 2016, 11:53 AM) *
Overall, if you had to pick one tonal center or scale ...
I hear it as C Phrygian dominant (or, phrygian natural 3).
C Db E F G Ab Bb C.

In the beginning you do use some other notes. I'd just call them 'chromatic' passing tones.
Starting at :10 you're using C phryg dom exclusively.

*This scale is also used heavily in Jewish music. They call it 'Freygish' (relating to phrygian).

Great addition! Yeah, this is surely the best choice and it's how he starts the solo. However it's curious to hear how he switches to the other two modes as long as the solo advances. It sounds like he is moving the characteristic notes of the mode 1 (b6 7). Do you note this effect? or you still think that he is staying on 1 scale and using passing notes?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 26 2016, 03:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Here is a video of me playing if that is helpful.

Keep in mind I am tuned to F Standard. The song is in the key of C - the breakdown can fool you because of the low F, which is why I included the transition after the bridge.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 26 2016, 05:22 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 26 2016, 07:24 AM) *
Great addition! Yeah, this is surely the best choice and it's how he starts the solo. However it's curious to hear how he switches to the other two modes as long as the solo advances. It sounds like he is moving the characteristic notes of the mode 1 (b6 7). Do you note this effect? or you still think that he is staying on 1 scale and using passing notes?

Hmmm ... either way.
I personally tend to think "main tonal/key center" when the chords don't change and the 'other' notes I won't classify as being in any particular scale or mode unless they stay there for awhile.

*Good solo by the way!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 05:37 AM