I've Got Gas, Gear Acquisition Syndrome
-Zion-
Jan 29 2009, 10:13 AM
Learning Roadie
I've got GAS right now.. tongue.gif

It's funny because i have no need for anything, but i still have this urge to get some new toys to play around with..

What do you guys do when the urge of GAS comes knocking on your door, when you know you dont need anything?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
superize
Jan 29 2009, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Think twice before you.....

Some time ago i was so close buying a guitar but then i thinked again and came to the conclution that i cant really aford it

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 29 2009, 10:17 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 29 2009, 09:13 AM) *
What do you guys do when the urge of GAS comes knocking on your door, when you know you dont need anything?

buy something anyway laugh.gif

I usually talk myself in and out of things several times in the course of a week laugh.gif

If the urge becomes to great and I really cant justify it, (or rather think of a decent enough excuse to tell the wife) then I turn off the internet and actually get on with some work laugh.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 29 2009, 10:30 AM
GMC:er
I know what you mean! I am complete gear-maniac as well. But when I'm about to spend more money... I check my wallet and my bank account and I realize that I haven't got money as always. This pretty much decides further issues. mellow.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 29 2009, 10:33 AM
When I get GAS I buy it unfortunately. But I've been good this year. Only bought a HD TV and PS3, 7 games and 7 blu ray films so far. *Sits in corner crying*

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 29 2009, 10:35 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Try to fight it as hard as you can!! If you loose the battle you know what you have to do.... smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 29 2009, 10:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 29 2009, 10:13 AM) *
I've got GAS right now.. tongue.gif

It's funny because i have no need for anything, but i still have this urge to get some new toys to play around with..

Painful sickness. First i have to convince my girlfriend and for her i have to be creative. She don't see any differences in guitars, but she will notice if there is one more laugh.gif

After i just can hope my credit card is refused .. at least i gain some time to rethink the real need.

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 29 2009, 10:41 AM
Learning Roadie
at the moment the GAS is about guitar equipment.. and i have already spent a whole truckload of money the last year on guitar..

I always go back and forth a whole whole bunch of times, and some say it's because i'm a libra. weighing in the pros and cons.. took me 6 months to buy my guitar, but it was also a lot of money, so..

lately i was thinking about getting myself a new amp, since the one i have kinda sounds bad.. then i remember that i've only used my amp a couple of times in the 6 months i've had it, and reason kicks in..

money is (at the moment) not an issue, and my GF usually dont care (although she wants to know about it first) but it still doesn't justify going on a spending spree..

maybe it'll pass at some point..

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Jan 29 2009, 10:42 AM

+Quote Post
ztevie
Jan 29 2009, 10:52 AM
I'm a gear junkie.. I spend more time browsing for new stuff than guitarplaying.
Which means I usually have very nice stuff, but can't play the damn things. biggrin.gif

Now, I'm GAS:ing for a custom build, with parts from Warmoth or USACG... You'd think it would be cheap, to buy and assemble yourself, but actually you get a very nice guitar for the money I'd pay for a custom I build myself.
I have swapped quite a few pickups in my days, it's fun, and I've had pretty good results. I've been researching for a while, then ordered, and installed. It can really make a great change, and it's fun too...
So I'd recommed you to try out some new pups, if your looking for tone improvment that is? Not so expensive either...

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
superize
Jan 29 2009, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (berko @ Jan 29 2009, 10:30 AM) *
I know what you mean! I am complete gear-maniac as well. But when I'm about to spend more money... I check my wallet and my bank account and I realize that I haven't got money as always. This pretty much decides further issues. mellow.gif

This is how i do it......

Even if i have enough money o buy the thing i want i still ahve to think that i have to have some mony left for other things

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
bsamn
Jan 29 2009, 11:51 AM
i mainly buy something, when i feel i have accomplished something.
Its cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 29 2009, 11:59 AM
Instructor
G.A.S is horrible, I always have it. You can never have too much gear biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 29 2009, 12:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
I feel myself heading towards some serious GAS. Just got a paycheck from my old job for having worked late, as well as having saved up a fair few quid, meaning I now have about $1250 to spend.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
superize
Jan 29 2009, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 29 2009, 12:02 PM) *
I feel myself heading towards some serious GAS. Just got a paycheck from my old job for having worked late, as well as having saved up a fair few quid, meaning I now have about $1250 to spend.

I wish i had that much money to spend.......

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 29 2009, 01:37 PM
Learning Roadie
I just bought something.. hahaha.. biggrin.gif

anyways, i ditched the whole idea of new gear and new hardware, because i found some nice offers..

Music
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall: Live 1980-1981
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Movies
Blade Runner - Final Cut (2 disc)
Kalifornia
Fight Club (2 disc)

I know my collection have been missing these records for quite a while, but now i finally have them (or soon anyways)
Total price: ~74 US dollars

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 29 2009, 01:43 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
laugh.gif well avoided!!

nice purchases, enjoy! smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 29 2009, 04:15 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
GAS is always there for sure. Right now I'm debating with myself wether to buy a bass or not, and maybe some active monitors. Good thing is my current computer table is too small to actually place the monitors, and I'm not really recording any stuff as I'm too bussy learning lessons & songs, so I don't really need a bass right now.

So I guess I'm safe for a while laugh.gif

At the end of the day it's not the gear that makes us happy, it's our fingers.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 29 2009, 06:04 PM
Instructor
You can't do anything, the GAS is too strong! laugh.gif The best thing I can do is go to the store and buy some picks or strings instead of something serious. cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jan 29 2009, 06:31 PM
QUOTE (ztevie @ Jan 29 2009, 10:52 AM) *
I'm a gear junkie.. I spend more time browsing for new stuff than guitarplaying.
Which means I usually have very nice stuff, but can't play the damn things. biggrin.gif

Haha! That's me in a nutshell. The dangerous thing about my GAS issue is that I still live with my dad but at the same time I'm working full time. So I'm getting a bit of money in and not a lot of it goes out. Especially pedals are my weakness.. But now, finally I'm trying do down-size my pedalboard and only get stuff that I would actually use in songs.. not "nice to have-gear". On the other hand I'm pretty protective when it comes to money so instead of buying something proper I usually end up buying the budget verison of it... (not the case wit pedals though..) This kinda holds me back in both a good and bad way since I'm looking for a proper tube amp and a new guitar..I might find this guitar that I reeeeaaally like, but then guilt gets to me and I imagine the comments form my family, girlfriend and so on.. So at the end I'm just GAS-stressing my brain to exhaustion..

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 29 2009, 09:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 29 2009, 02:37 PM) *
I just bought something.. hahaha.. biggrin.gif

anyways, i ditched the whole idea of new gear and new hardware, because i found some nice offers..

Music
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall: Live 1980-1981
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Movies
Blade Runner - Final Cut (2 disc)
Kalifornia
Fight Club (2 disc)

I know my collection have been missing these records for quite a while, but now i finally have them (or soon anyways)
Total price: ~74 US dollars

Wow dude, that's a lot of great records! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:21 AM