> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

15 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Vonhotch's Musical Journey, for Gab's Army
vonhotch
Sep 19 2012, 04:13 PM
GMC:er
I forgot to mention that I would be very interested to hear about your experiences as you go about mixing the new Cirse album. If you would like to share. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 21 2012, 03:43 PM
Instructor
Sure mate! I used Nuendo 4, and many plug in (Waves API, Waves SSL, Altiverb, Izotope, Emi series). Please let me know which things would you like to know and I will share them with you. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 23 2012, 05:15 PM
Hey, here is my video for the week. I decided to have little fun with it biggrin.gif Sorry the quality is a little bad, hope you can hear and see most of it ok.

As for my questions, I have so many smile.gif where do you start, do you do tweek individual instruments and parts first or all at once? What do you think is the most difficult part of the mixing process? I'm really just curious about the whole process so if your going along and think "Man that was brilliant, I better share that with VonHotch!" Feel free. Ha ha laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 25 2012, 04:13 PM
Instructor
hahaha great video!! The lesson is getting better and better! You are doing a good job. Regarding the mix, well... I basically worked on it as I do with every mix. I start with the drums, first kick and snare, then toms, overheads and room. I added compressors and eq to everything and also added a snare sample because I wasn't totally happy with the sound that we got in the recording. The bass was simple, I just compressed, boosted some frequencies around 80 hz & 1500 hz, and lowered some between 250 and 500. There is not too much secret about guitars and voices, I just equalized both and compressed the voices. I always try to keep the mixes the simpler possible, not too much plug ing is the secret to keep everything sounding good. You have to be precise. I used altiverb for reverb which is very recommendable.

Let me know if you have any specific question about it. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 26 2012, 02:05 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 25 2012, 03:13 PM) *
hahaha great video!! The lesson is getting better and better! You are doing a good job. Regarding the mix, well... I basically worked on it as I do with every mix. I start with the drums, first kick and snare, then toms, overheads and room. I added compressors and eq to everything and also added a snare sample because I wasn't totally happy with the sound that we got in the recording. The bass was simple, I just compressed, boosted some frequencies around 80 hz & 1500 hz, and lowered some between 250 and 500. There is not too much secret about guitars and voices, I just equalized both and compressed the voices. I always try to keep the mixes the simpler possible, not too much plug ing is the secret to keep everything sounding good. You have to be precise. I used altiverb for reverb which is very recommendable.

Let me know if you have any specific question about it. wink.gif

Awesome info! Do you usually pan different instruments a certain way or does it depend on the song? What is the advantage of nuendo as opposed to a smaller one like reaper? (I'm gonna guess it has something to do with everything I read in the description for it that I didn't understand. tongue.gif ) Do you put effects like compressor and eq on the main track or does each track get individual compressors and eqs? And my big question of the day......When I try to add more distortion to my effects or just use a simulator with lots of gain. I seem to have a ton of noise when not playing. Is it just because of the distortion, or is there a way to minimize it when not playing? I'm using reaper and a bunch of free plugins. Hope I didn't overdue the questions today. smile.gif Thanks!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 26 2012, 02:49 PM
Instructor
Do you usually pan different instruments a certain way or does it depend on the song?
I depends on the song and the instrument that it includes. By the way, I obviously pan Toms, HH, Overheads, Room (If I have two takes), backing vocals, guitars (if I have two rhythm guitars, I pan both to different sides to make it sound wider/opener), and also arrangements. I always keep kick, snare, bass and vocals in the central channel.

What is the advantage of nuendo as opposed to a smaller one like reaper?
Well, I have never used Reaper, but Nuendo has everything you need to create, produce, mix and master music. Check out the description and let me know which items you don't understand well. wink.gif

Do you put effects like compressor and eq on the main track or does each track get individual compressors and eqs?
It depends on what things I have in that subgroup. When the takes are similar, I prefer to add processors in the groups. For example, if I have three rhythm guitars playing similar things, with a similar sound, I use the same EQ for the three ones in their Group/Sub-master. If you have never done this (creating sub groups), you should do it. Creating sub groups to manage all guitars, all drums, all backing vocals, etc... is very useful.

When I try to add more distortion to my effects or just use a simulator with lots of gain. I seem to have a ton of noise when not playing. Is it just because of the distortion, or is there a way to minimize it when not playing?
There are two ways to solve this... one is using a noise gate which is a processor that has a threshold and mutes the channel if the sound isn't louder than that threshold set in decibels (DB). The other way would a volume automation which means that you can put the sound's channel in mute when the guitar isn't playing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 27 2012, 02:44 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 26 2012, 01:49 PM) *
Do you usually pan different instruments a certain way or does it depend on the song?
I depends on the song and the instrument that it includes. By the way, I obviously pan Toms, HH, Overheads, Room (If I have two takes), backing vocals, guitars (if I have two rhythm guitars, I pan both to different sides to make it sound wider/opener), and also arrangements. I always keep kick, snare, bass and vocals in the central channel.

What is the advantage of nuendo as opposed to a smaller one like reaper?
Well, I have never used Reaper, but Nuendo has everything you need to create, produce, mix and master music. Check out the description and let me know which items you don't understand well. wink.gif

Do you put effects like compressor and eq on the main track or does each track get individual compressors and eqs?
It depends on what things I have in that subgroup. When the takes are similar, I prefer to add processors in the groups. For example, if I have three rhythm guitars playing similar things, with a similar sound, I use the same EQ for the three ones in their Group/Sub-master. If you have never done this (creating sub groups), you should do it. Creating sub groups to manage all guitars, all drums, all backing vocals, etc... is very useful.

When I try to add more distortion to my effects or just use a simulator with lots of gain. I seem to have a ton of noise when not playing. Is it just because of the distortion, or is there a way to minimize it when not playing?
There are two ways to solve this... one is using a noise gate which is a processor that has a threshold and mutes the channel if the sound isn't louder than that threshold set in decibels (DB). The other way would a volume automation which means that you can put the sound's channel in mute when the guitar isn't playing.

This is fantastic info. Sub groups, volume automation, if you keep giving me advice like this you are going to force me to read the manual. wink.gif I meant to record this video also this weekend I have been practicing this also, but my batteries died. dry.gif It has got to be one of the funnest things I have ever learned to play. I think it's much better than last time I posted it. Doing funk to help my groove is really paying off. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 27 2012, 06:00 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! The video is now private, so I can't see it...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 28 2012, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 27 2012, 05:00 PM) *
Hi mate! The video is now private, so I can't see it...

All fixed smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2012, 03:45 PM
Instructor
Great playing mate!! The take needs just some little adjustment to be perfect!! In the first riff, pay attention to the rhythm of the the hammer and pull, sometimes you play it a bit faster and the groove sound a bit weird. It's a minimum details but it must be fixed. Then, the harmonized bend (in the riff) sound a bit out of tune, check it out. The solo sounds very good!! Well done. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 30 2012, 06:31 PM
Hey! Here are my weekly submissions. biggrin.gif
This is the alternate picking exercise that you told me to work on a while ago and I......uh.....seem to keep forgetting to do rolleyes.gif , but now I'm gonna be on it with a vengeance! It's at 120bpm and if it sounds weird I used my guitar that is tuned to fifths. So I guess instead of E minor it's more of G melodic minor with the notes A, Bb, C, E, F#, G?

This one I tried to improve on the areas you mentioned.

And this one I got some new tone and had some more fun with some samples. I also bumped it up to 90%. Not sure what the deal is with the glitch, I guess youtube didn't like the samples as much as I did. dry.gif

P.S. I will work on the lighting situation. Videos are no good if you can't see it.

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Sep 30 2012, 06:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 2 2012, 04:41 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for these new videos! Lighting improvement would be really good! Is there a window in that room? Maybe if you open it and record yourself in front of the window the video will look better. Regarding the videos, I can note that you are working hard so keep on working like that! The first one (Alternate picking) sound ok, but you have to concentrate on playing louder the notes in the first string which sound too weak. The second video is better but still need more job on the things that I marked, everything is a bit better but keep on practicing it. The last one sounds cool, I like the guitar effect and the overall sound... keep on playing it to improve a bit more the groove.

Let me congrats you for posting these videos weekly! Be sure that you will notice a big improvement after some time of hard work and these videos will be the proof. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 3 2012, 01:44 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 2 2012, 03:41 PM) *
Hi mate! Thanks for these new videos! Lighting improvement would be really good! Is there a window in that room? Maybe if you open it and record yourself in front of the window the video will look better. Regarding the videos, I can note that you are working hard so keep on working like that! The first one (Alternate picking) sound ok, but you have to concentrate on playing louder the notes in the first string which sound too weak. The second video is better but still need more job on the things that I marked, everything is a bit better but keep on practicing it. The last one sounds cool, I like the guitar effect and the overall sound... keep on playing it to improve a bit more the groove.

Let me congrats you for posting these videos weekly! Be sure that you will notice a big improvement after some time of hard work and these videos will be the proof. smile.gif

Ha ha, actually there are two big windows right behind me and they are wide open. It was a bit over cast and it's funny because there is another huge building right next door a few feet away that blocks alot of the light and it reminds me of something you would see in a sitcom where someone rents a "room with a view" and when they look out the window, all they can see is a brick wall laugh.gif I'll figure something out for next week. Anyway thanks for the congrats, it's very inspiring to get you comments each time I post! smile.gif A regular posting schedule is definately something I can recommend, and I'm glad that you suggested it! But you have not steered me wrong yet! biggrin.gif
Do you ever pan anything that is not double tracked?
Have you done anything more with the post metal/ambient project you were working on?
Oh and I have been working on something with my fifths tuning, I think is pretty cool it's dark and doomy I will try to post a preview next week. It's something I never could have done 6 months ago!!!!!! smile.gif And I put things in subgroups. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 3 2012, 06:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 2 2012, 09:44 PM) *
Ha ha, actually there are two big windows right behind me and they are wide open. It was a bit over cast and it's funny because there is another huge building right next door a few feet away that blocks alot of the light and it reminds me of something you would see in a sitcom where someone rents a "room with a view" and when they look out the window, all they can see is a brick wall laugh.gif I'll figure something out for next week. Anyway thanks for the congrats, it's very inspiring to get you comments each time I post! smile.gif A regular posting schedule is definately something I can recommend, and I'm glad that you suggested it! But you have not steered me wrong yet! biggrin.gif
Do you ever pan anything that is not double tracked?
Have you done anything more with the post metal/ambient project you were working on?
Oh and I have been working on something with my fifths tuning, I think is pretty cool it's dark and doomy I will try to post a preview next week. It's something I never could have done 6 months ago!!!!!! smile.gif And I put things in subgroups. wink.gif

Hi mate! I'm glad of reading all these great things!! I also discovered that a weekly recording is the best way to keep on progressing. smile.gif
Regarding panning, yes, I use to pan things, guitar arrangements, baking vocals, and some other things. By the way it's very important to keep both channels balanced so if you pan something you will have to compensate it with something in the other channel.

Regarding "Estallando...". we are working on new songs! smile.gif

I'm curious about your stuff! When can I listen to it?? biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 4 2012, 03:18 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 3 2012, 05:55 PM) *
Hi mate! I'm glad of reading all these great things!! I also discovered that a weekly recording is the best way to keep on progressing. smile.gif
Regarding panning, yes, I use to pan things, guitar arrangements, baking vocals, and some other things. By the way it's very important to keep both channels balanced so if you pan something you will have to compensate it with something in the other channel.

Regarding "Estallando...". we are working on new songs! smile.gif

I'm curious about your stuff! When can I listen to it?? biggrin.gif

Estallando...I will remeber next time. smile.gif
As for my stuff.....Since you asked biggrin.gif here is where it is now. I guess this as of now is the into/verse. I'm still messing with it.
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/reclusetake1/s-Z26gF

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2012, 04:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 3 2012, 11:18 PM) *
Estallando...I will remeber next time. smile.gif
As for my stuff.....Since you asked biggrin.gif here is where it is now. I guess this as of now is the into/verse. I'm still messing with it.
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/reclusetake1/s-Z26gF

wou!! I love the feeling of this tune mate!! Keep on working on it! I just discovered the new Deftones track and for any reason I can note a similar feeling...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 7 2012, 10:45 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 5 2012, 03:02 PM) *
wou!! I love the feeling of this tune mate!! Keep on working on it! I just discovered the new Deftones track and for any reason I can note a similar feeling...

Awesome. I'm so excited that you like it. That Deftones track is really cool, I appreciate the comparison! biggrin.gif Their songs have such a beautiful but heavy, dark but light, peaceful but tense feel, very contrasting. So here are my videos for the week. Do you ever have a day where everything just feels, off? Everything I played just seemed a little, wrong.....But at least you can see it! biggrin.gif I've also got one of your warmup/ endurance lesson too this week. Thanks!!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 8 2012, 01:31 AM
Instructor
hey Vonhotch! It's really cool to see how you are evolving from week to week. The progress is constant and that's the important part of this! All the things that I said about timing, groove, and picking precision are getting better to keep on working like this! And also the video lightening is excellent now! Well done!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 14 2012, 10:13 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 8 2012, 12:31 AM) *
hey Vonhotch! It's really cool to see how you are evolving from week to week. The progress is constant and that's the important part of this! All the things that I said about timing, groove, and picking precision are getting better to keep on working like this! And also the video lightening is excellent now! Well done!

You are right. As usual smile.gif . Sometimes I lose sight of the bigger picture. I'm glad you are enjoying my progress, I probably never would have signed up for mentoring had you not invited me in the begining, it was such a great decision. You have no idea how much I appreciate what you and the other instructors have done for me. I have always loved music, but I've never had the opportunities that I have now and been able to do what I am now. You guys are huge rock stars to me and getting to interact with you and get advice and tips is still a little amazing to me sometimes. So anyway onto this weeks videos. The alt picking is at 140 bpm and I had a bit of trouble with the last exercise. It feels clumbsy to me slower speed and I get tripped up but for some reason it seems a little smoother a little faster, although I still had trouble here as you will see. smile.gif

This one, I started last week to try and listen to it different while I was playing and not play over it but play with it. If that makes sense. Hopefully it comes acrosse better. Still at 90%.

And this one........Still fun as hell to play! biggrin.gif

I thought if I had a light shining right at me I could go back to my original space and record but they seem a little dark again. I'll go back to the other spot next week.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 15 2012, 12:25 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! Good job! I can see an improvement of the 3 lessons... I think that we are ready to add some more lessons to work one... something rocker like this:

one idea: (you can search for some other lessons)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Queens...he-Stone-Metal/

and something using alternate picking to keep on working on that technique...

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Vinnie...yle-patterns-1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Warming-up-with-Lian/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:58 AM