Heavy Rock Collab, FINAL MIX AND COMMENTS
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 30 2008, 06:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello !!

We got another collab finished , I want to thank you all for participating in recording this unique piece of music!! We got a energetic up tempo track and you did well to get different emotions out of it with your cool solos! I tried to give you my constructive opinion on your takes.Please keep in mind that its a subjective one and that opinions may differ, collabs are all for fun and to learn something. It was a pleasure collaborating with all of you people around the world!!!

HERE IS THE FINAL MIX : Attached File  Heavy_Rock_Collab_FINAL_MIX.mp3 ( 3.53MB ) Number of downloads: 312

Participants : 11

I arranged takes in which order you sent them to me.

Comments :

Skennington :

We are opening this collab with Skennington's rhythm take...I like how you built tension in this take so I made a quite large fade in on it..Really interesting choice of harmonies and overdubbed guitars..I like the overall atmosphere it made to the track.Reminds me of some tracks to put as James Bond movies intro music.Very nice job overall to get this collab track warmed up! Thanks for participating!

Tjchep:

Your take jumps in very nicely as a first solo in this collab.I really like your nerve for solos and you did a very good job in this one.You learned how to record a very healthy guitar signal that cuts thought the mix well.You got great energy in this one , liked the fast runs very much! String raking you do as your signature worked awesome in this type of solo.You got only one or two spots in which you were thinking what to do next , but you managed to get out of them very fast and compose good phrases.Very good take TJ , thanks for doing this one!

Alex Lenis:

Here we have another very energetic solo! First slow part was a little less effective but the fast runs did leave a very good impression.Your tone was pretty good too, I would suggest maybe rolling off a little gain though..Also the bends in the first (slow) part of the solo were a little out of tune, but were a really good compositional idea!! You captured the right emotion of the track and did a very cool solo overall.Thanks for joining this collab mate !!

USAMAN:

This take hits off with a fast tapping part (and a long one) which was very effective! I really liked that idea.I would just suggest paying a little more attention to dynamics when tapping, some notes were noticeably louder than others (going towards bass strings)..Fast licks were awesome, also you slowed down the track nicely with high bends - that was very effective.Repetitive fast licks really work well over this backing.Great job USAMAN , thanks for participating!

Skalde:

You are starting with a riffing idea , I liked how you switched to solo..I liked the first part of your solo and would just suggest you to pay more attention to bends (for them being in tune) and to add more vibrato to longer notes.Second part of solo lacks good phrasing , I think you lost inspiration there and went for similar patterns you know when exercising scales..I would suggest thinking of small phrases and incorporating hammer ons,pull offs and bends,also vibrato to make them more musical.Just take few notes and tie them together in a phrase, playing odd fingerings (which your are not used from exercising) will help you come up with more interesting ideas! Also think of phrases as questions and answers to make them flow better.I like your tone , you recorded it very well!! Very nice take overall , thanks for participating in this collab!

Minz80:

I'm really glad this was your first collab upon joining GMC smile.gif Here are my comments : first part of the take was rhythm type , palm muting etc..But that part didn't get recorded well at all..Playing with microphone positioning in relation to speaker cone of your amp will help you get a clean tone..Lets talk about the solo part.I liked the sound of your guitar, you made a cool space with that delay.I liked your question and answer type phrases you did.Maybe the double stops you played (two notes at same time) didn't sounds so well, you could have played only the first one in some cool rhythm patter - could be more effective that way.Overall this was well thought off solo and I would suggest working a little on those bends to make them more precise and adding a stronger vibrato (which I missed in this solo).Thanks for recording this solo !!!

Kyldee:

Nice harmonizing in the intro part of the take.I liked the repeating phrase you did in the first part of the solo..Those harmonics were nice touch.In the second part of the solo you lost a little bit inspiration..Those long notes you played really need a stronger vibrato to them in order to be effective..Nice ending with a whammy smile.gif Thanks for recording in this collab mate !!

Toroso :

You recorded a pretty good guitar tone (especially for your first collab!!).I liked your general idea of the solo..In order to enhance it I would suggest incorporating more hammer ons and pull offs as well as bends and vibrato..Those are expression tools and they really make even one note sing and are very important...Also try playing with notes durations..That is as important as phrasing.Try playing small short phrases (maybe in a repetitive way with small changes in one note), incorporating fingering that you are not so used of playing - to get more inspirational and original take.Very nice job overall , I'm really glad you started doing collabs!! Thanks for participating mate !! smile.gif

Superize :

I liked the energetic climbing up the fretboard! Your tone was pretty good, maybe a little too much gain this time.Solo idea is interesting and only suggestion will be to add more vibrato to those long notes in order for them to sound effective..Also the last run in the very end of the solo could be a little more rhythmically effective.Very nice solo overall mate , thanks for doing this collab !!

Sami :

I enjoyed your take.Regarding sound , I would suggest adding a little treble in order to cut through the mix better (this one was a little muddy).I liked phrases inside.Starting ones are very effective! Also the fast run and those arpeggios were a nice touch! I would only suggest paying a little more attention to timing and vibrato.Thanks for your take man!!

Mat23 :

We are ending this collab with Mats awesome take..I really liked how you composed it..It was interesting from start to finish.Harmonies were a very good idea!! I would suggest working a little on vibrato.Also you played this take a little shaky from time to time but I guess you didn't have much time to practice this take (if you did you would play it better certainly)...Also I swear I can hear a mysterious telephone sound in the second harmonies bend. (but I think its my imagination) smile.gif hehe So all in all , very good take Matt , I'm glad your closing this collab..Thanks for participating!

Cheers !! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 30 2008, 06:13 PM
Instructor
Great work guys! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Sep 30 2008, 06:13 PM
GMC:er
Great takes everyone. Great collab. smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 30 2008, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Great work on the solos guys

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 30 2008, 06:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Great guys! I realy feel sorry for not joining in!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 1 2008, 12:04 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Thanks for the comments Bog, and all of you guys did a great job. Sorry for the rhythm take. I know that was a bit unusual. rolleyes.gif smile.gif Wanted to do something different.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 1 2008, 12:11 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Oct 1 2008, 01:04 AM) *
Thanks for the comments Bog, and all of you guys did a great job. Sorry for the rhythm take. I know that was a bit unusual. rolleyes.gif smile.gif Wanted to do something different.

Your welcome !! Also I'm really glad you recorded the rhythm take , it worked really well opening this collab !!! smile.gif

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 1 2008, 12:13 AM
Instructor
very interesting recordings here. I liked all of them. From what I heard this sounds like all of the guys can become very good players.

well done everybody and keep practicing.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 1 2008, 05:22 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks for the collab Bogdan, and great solos guys. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Oct 1 2008, 10:35 PM
Instructor
congrats guys.very welldone

+Quote Post
Sami
Oct 6 2008, 03:40 AM
Learning Rock Star
Nice job every one!!
Im so embarrassed about my timing and vibrato! haha its usually much better!
haha oh well.
I didnt know it was treble that i needed! thanks!!!! That makes sense cause i have a fear of having too much of a trebly sound hahah so i put it too low
Thanks an great job every one!

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Oct 6 2008, 04:00 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sami @ Oct 5 2008, 10:40 PM) *
Nice job every one!!
Im so embarrassed about my timing and vibrato! haha its usually much better!
haha oh well.
I didnt know it was treble that i needed! thanks!!!! That makes sense cause i have a fear of having too much of a trebly sound hahah so i put it too low
Thanks an great job every one!

Don't sweet it man. Nice effort.

It's all good.

Your take was fine but working on your tone with a DAW when you record is completely different then when you just jam with your amp.

Kind of a pane in the butt.

Just remember that less gain is more.

I think you did a great job so don't get discouraged.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Sami
Oct 6 2008, 04:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Oct 6 2008, 04:00 AM) *
Don't sweet it man. Nice effort.

It's all good.

Your take was fine but working on your tone with a DAW when you record is completely different then when you just jam with your amp.

Kind of a pane in the butt.

Just remember that less gain is more.

I think you did a great job so don't get discouraged.

Aw thanks so much mate
You know me and my confidence issues.. haha
Thanks for the tone advice too

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 6 2008, 08:52 AM
QUOTE (Sami @ Oct 6 2008, 05:05 AM) *
Aw thanks so much mate
You know me and my confidence issues.. haha
Thanks for the tone advice too

Recording is very different than regular playing, with more practice you get better at it..Its all in experience.. wink.gif

You did great in this collab and I'm hoping you will join future ones too smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 6 2008, 12:38 PM
GMC:er
Great job guys and cool collab Bogdan. Some great solos in there. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:48 AM