> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Mountain Thistle's Creative Practice, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 12 2015, 01:52 AM
Instructor
Exactly! The dynamics in metal are less notorious but there is always room to use different intensities as an expressing tool. I shared the blues lesson because dynamics are fundamental on blues but I think that those guitarists that can manage dynamics in metal are the most interesting and expressive. Steve Vai is one of them off course...

Talking about Neoclassical and shred playing, Malmsteen, Friedman and Gilbert are good examples on how you can use dynamics in metal situations...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Jul 29 2015, 08:52 AM
GMC:er
In the meanwhile, I made a cover of russian folk-band Melnitsa's song The Princess.

Here's the original version:

My cover song:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Neoclassical Solo Lesson.

Last time in the REC session when I posted Neoclassical Solo lesson most of the comments were about too wide vibratos, dynamics and smoother transition between notes.

In the following take (0:06 - 0:18) I made the transition smoother and tried to play some parts (0:14-0:18) quieter than others.

The vibratos pitch must be ok now. Moreover, I learned to play one more part with vertical vibratos instead of horizontal ones (0:47-0:56).

PS. the passing grade in REC section is now 6, so there's no need to post it there again? Last time I had 6/7/8, so I pass, right? If you ask me, I'd prefer to concentrate on the next lessons smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: Jul 29 2015, 08:53 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 29 2015, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Nice cover song. I like the original melody and also like the feel of your version with it's even more relaxing. Everything sounds on pitch and well played there. With the pass of time and the work here, you'll be able to add more expressive elements to your playing but it's just a matter of time.

The neoclassical solo sounds better regarding the aspects that we suggested. There is still room to make the vibrato more natural and some parts like the lick at 00:41 smoother and some others after that but this will happen with more days of practice. Also, the bend at 00:46 is not reaching the pitch well.

It's ok to go for another lesson now but I recommend you to play this one once or twice every day to keep on polishing it. Ok?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Aug 30 2015, 08:19 AM
I'm sorry for offtopic, Gab, but will you help me here please.

I made a cover video on one of my favourite Metallica songs and it seems that I have bend pitchs issues in solo part. Check it out:

Starting at 2:37.

When I recorded I tried to make sure it sounds at the right pitch, but now it doesnt seem to. How can I be sure? Is there any pitch measurer you can recommend or it's just a matter of practice practice practice?

Cheers

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Sep 23 2015, 02:05 AM
Oh, I found a solution!

Sorry for this offtopic smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 23 2015, 03:01 PM
Instructor
This is the best exercise I know for bending:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Jan 19 2016, 09:36 PM
I practise some lessons at the moment and in the meanwhile I'd love to start with music theory to understand what I'm actually playing. Gab, what will you recommend? Just hit THEORY at GMC forum or something more specific?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 20 2016, 04:33 PM
Instructor
I recommend you to start here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47852

and ask me every time you have a question. You should also check this thread:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=56472

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Feb 3 2016, 05:03 AM
Thanks Gabriel!

Here's my second lesson. It is not among the task you mentioned but hope it is ok that once in a while I post lessons that are off our study programme.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Irish-Picking/

How is it?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2016, 03:09 PM
Instructor
Sure mate! Everything is welcome here!

Your take on this lesson is really good. Your playing is precise in most of the lesson. There are little sections where you have some hands sync issues but nothing really serious. Good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Feb 4 2016, 10:54 PM
Great!

Shall I necessarily procced to REC section with the lesson or it's fine?

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Feb 6 2016, 10:13 PM
If we're done with the previous lesson, then I post here another lesson:

Cruzat Beer House Song Part2:

Looking forward to your feedback!

-----------------------------------------

PS. Gab, you gave me four lessons to work through in the first hand:
1) Alternate Picking (20 min)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Tersiv...use-Song-Part2/
2) Legato (20 min)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hammer...Pull-Off-Etude/
3) Bending & vibrato (20 min)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla..._for_beginners/
4)Rhythm (20 min)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Finnis...l-Stratovarius/

I've done first and third.

I cannot really practise the others at the moment, cause I'm in provincial small city in India for the next two months and they have no electric guitar here at all.

Would you give me a few more acoustic guitar lessons to work on?

Cheers!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 10 2016, 05:41 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, the new lesson is sounding good. The only detail that I've noted is that your playing sounds with staccato effect. Try to make the notes be a bit longer to make your playing sound smoother. Other than that this sounds good!

Some ideas to continue:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/William-Tell-Overture/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-sorrow-part-1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/viking...oncepts-part-4/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/viking...oncepts-part-5/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slap-P...ustic-Workshop/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Feb 11 2016, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Gab!

If you don't mind I'd stick only to
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-sorrow-part-1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slap-P...ustic-Workshop/
and skip the other two. See, I'm working on my motivation now and I noticed that I can prctice songs/licks/lessons only if they grab my sympathy from the beginning.

By the way, do you have any approximate strategic plan in your ming for the future lessons? Can you share it to discuss? For example, I'd love to work on In Style Of lessons when I'm back to my el. guitar.

ps. I'd share a video I recorded a few days ago. It was supposed to be with el. guitar but I couldn't find one, so I thought I'd do it anyways cool.gif

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: Feb 11 2016, 03:58 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2016, 01:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, yeah, let's discuss about the future.

My objective for the first weeks was to polish your technique and adjust details regarding vibrato, bending, posture, picking and left hand (legato and muting). That's why I've shared some technique lessons in the first routine.

Focusing on musical lessons (in the style of) sounds good for me and it's a good way to keep motivation and track of your progress. Our way to monitor status is the level of lessons and the grade you get at REC. I'd like to see a list here of "in the style of" lessons that you'd like to work to have it as reference.

While you learn these lessons, the idea is to do some complementary work that covers technique (that helps you master the in the style lessons) and some theory behind improvisation / composition (analyzing the lessons worked and learning the concepts behind the progression and scales is always helpful).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Feb 12 2016, 08:02 PM
"Favourite lessons + theory behind" sounds like a great mix. Let's see how it works!

I will make a list of "in style of" lessons right away when I come back, because Indian internet here is both slow and expensive, while I need to go through all GMC lessons related.

PS. I couldn't find any Guitar Pro tab in https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-sorrow-part-1/ lesson, neither could I make part N1 work. Could you help me out?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2016, 05:00 PM
Instructor
mmm I think that the reason why is that we cannot have guitar pro or tabs of copyrighted songs. You have to learn it from the videos.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Mar 16 2016, 06:32 PM
5) Viking Folk Metal Concepts PT4

How is it?

There's lots of noise, yes, but I couldn't cope with it here. Anyways, it's the last lesson I have done with local indian guitar, so hopefully next Harvest of Sorrow lesson will have a lot better sound.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 18 2016, 07:39 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, this sounds good. I think that you only need to play the arpeggio section a bit more to make it sound more consistent. There are parts like at 00:22 that sound a bit weak. Then, when the strumming rhythm starts I feel that your strumming is not strong enough, you need to pick harder the strings to avoid that weird sound that can be hear in the video and make the string sound louder.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Jun 29 2016, 11:44 AM
Got it, Gab!

Here's a new one.
Blind Guardian: Harvest of Sorrow
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...-sorrow-part-2/

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: Jun 29 2016, 11:45 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:39 PM