New Amp Advice
eaglesnh4
Feb 21 2011, 01:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi, im looking for a tube amplifier, can anyone point me in the right direction, preferably under 1000 pounds. anything under 1000! it has to have a good clean channel as i will be using pedals for my distortion, i play blues & rock.
It has to be a minimum of 100watts. we play real loud in the practise room and we play live gigs.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by eaglesnh4: Feb 21 2011, 01:20 AM

--------------------
Mexican Fender Stractocaster
Vox VT100
Line 6 Flextone iii
Vox VFS5 Footswitch
Boss Tu-3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Mudbone
Feb 21 2011, 01:19 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Can't go wrong with a Marshall. They have a few amps at that price range, see which one suits you best.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Feb 21 2011, 09:21 AM
Learning Roadie
If you want so save money try an Bugera 1960, and see if you enjoy it..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 21 2011, 09:55 AM
Instructor
Vox and Fender amps have great clean channels... Are you looking for a combo amp or a head + cabinet?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
eaglesnh4
Feb 21 2011, 11:42 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 21 2011, 08:55 AM) *
Vox and Fender amps have great clean channels... Are you looking for a combo amp or a head + cabinet?

Hi, ermm im not too sure, what ever gives me the better sound

--------------------
Mexican Fender Stractocaster
Vox VT100
Line 6 Flextone iii
Vox VFS5 Footswitch
Boss Tu-3

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 21 2011, 08:43 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Good clean, how about Fender Hotrod Deville?
Or if you can appreciate the distorion from the amp rather than from pedals you can get a Marshall JVM 2xx (50 or 100 watts) that fit your budget. 50 watts on this if you don't need the extra clean headroom.
You'vet got the Peavey Classic as a 50 watt

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 23 2011, 11:25 PM
GMC:er
It is very hard to go wrong with a Marshall. You could get a half stack and be in good shape. Or a good size combo. If you want good clean tone, I hate to say it, but avoid the Mesa Triple Rectifier. Great dirty tone, but I don't think it actually has a clean tone. Every one I've ever played seemed to have a bit of dirty in the clean channel.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 24 2011, 02:55 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
So what is your experience with tube amps? Have you ever owned one before? Just to let you know 100 watts in a tube amp is not the same as in a solid state amp. Tube amps are much, much louder than a solid states of equivalent wattage. 50 watts of tube power is plenty for band room practice. In fact, a 100 watt tube amp really isn't much louder than a 50 watt tube amp, it just has more headroom, i.e. the power section won't break up as soon as a 50 watt amp.

One thousand pounds is a lot of money. If this is your first time getting a tube amp you might not want to throw that much money down at first, because theres a good chance you will go through a few amps before you get what you really like.

You can get a great half stack for around 600 pounds or less, if you're willing to buy used. I say invest in a good cab for now, such as a Marshall 1960 Lead Series cab (equipped with either G12T-75's or V30's) and then get an amp head that isn't very pricey. The best amps in the world will sound like a wet fart through a cheap cab, so definitely invest in a good one, you will probably never change it. As far as amps, I can personally recommend Peavey amps - they sound great, are reliable, and are affordable.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 24 2011, 11:13 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (eaglesnh4 @ Feb 21 2011, 01:08 AM) *
i will be using pedals for my distortion, i play blues & rock.

While we're at it I am sure you can get ten times better distortion from a £1000 amps crunch channel than you ever will with distortion pedals even if you spend your £900 on a pedal and £100 on a clean amp.
No matter how good a distortion pedal is it seems to suck the soul out from any tube amp.

Just yesterday I was playing through a HT-Dual pedal into the clean channel of my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade since we’re preparing for a gig where we’re for convenience will be using the amps/PA and drums on site instead of bringing our own stuff. All in all the sound I get is ok as long as I don’t get tempted to kick in the crunch or lead channel of the amp to realize what a path of failure I’m on.

So if I should give you any good advice at all it’s be to skip the distortion pedal and get an amp that has both the clean and the crunch you’re looking for. Especially if you’re looking to get a good sound. If there’s no end in itself to run a distortion pedal for whatever other reason?

I think the recipe spells tube amp (Marshall?) with an OD pedal

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 24 2011, 06:39 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would recommend a tube Marshall with 50 watts of power. Having a 100w tube amp can be a bit contra productive. As It will be too loud and you just won't be able to turn it up enough (to get the best tone from a tube amp you have to crank it) on rehearsals and on gigs. On every gig the guitar amp is mic-ed and goes into PA system. Stage volume has to be medium for a good sound. You won't be able to crank 100W amp too much (it will eat every other instrument on stage and be uncomfortable). It will actually be usefull only on big stage/outdoor gigs.

Check for a all tube marshal in the store and try it out. I recommend the combo version for easy of transport.

Though if you don't like Marshal clean sound and want to stick to pedals for drive, check out the mentioned Fenders. ENGL amps have a very good clean too, though a bit cold sounding.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:06 PM