> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 51 52 53 54 55 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 4 2017, 01:43 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, things would be more natural if you'd play the right time values for the first notes (until 00:07). You keep the same note values along the whole part, while the first ones are different. Practice over the guitar pro file with metronome to note the difference.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 4 2017, 08:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I'm all confused, sorry unsure.gif I was actually playing along with the GP5 file for that video. Now I'm not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs but in the GP5 file, they are notated as 16th notes unless I am mistaken with the exception of the 13th diad in each of the two bars (19 & 20) which is an 8th. Please don't think I'm arguing, I'm just trying to make sense of this mountain I am climbing.

I have to say I am astounded by your level of skill Gab ohmy.gif . I imported the GP5 file as a .wav and put it into my DAW, synced it with the video sound conversion and I just cannot believe how close you are to the GP5 file. Man you are a guitar ninja ph34r.gif I am speechless ohmy.gif

You on the left, midi on the right.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-gab-left-computer-right

And here is me at 50% with me on left GP5 on right. I forgot to switch my compressor on so it's a bit louder in places and my post production skills aren't up to much yet.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-and-computer-50

Should I just stick at 50% until the timing is sweet and then increase it?

Thanks Gab and apologies for being a muppet.

Phil

UPDATE:

Here is tonight's effort. I went for a bit more speed, mainly to see how the other bits are, the double stops are all over the place again but how do you think the rest is coming along?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-and-gab-65bpm

Thanks Gab.

P.S I've been neglecting Breaking The Law since New Year. Sorry. This is consuming me rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 5 2017, 10:10 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2017, 12:58 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! That's GREAT! Your newest audio is totally on track! You are getting closer friend. I can see that all the hard work is paying of now! And this make me feel really optimistic about this year. All my best wishes for this 2017!

I don't note any relevant issue on the latest audio, just continue increasing the speed gradually and let me know what happens. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 6 2017, 09:46 PM
Thanks Gab,

It suddenly seems to be coming together. I need to lock out for a day or two though, I really need to re-train my right hand. When I increase the speed I go back to hitting that first 10th fret diad with an upstroke. I'm thinking that for it to sound fluid I should hit that first 9th fret bend with an upstroke and follow with alternate down up strokes in order to land comfortably on the first 10th fret diad with a downstroke. Do you agree that this is the most comfortable way to go rather than having to fit in two down strokes?

The way I keep playing it and have to break it is I play all 9th fret bends with an upstroke, kind of like economy picking I guess so I think I should really spend some time now breaking that behaviour. Do you agree?

---7-7----7-7----7-7----7-7----7-7----7-|
---7-7----7-7----7-7----7-7----7-7----7-|
9b------9b-----9b-----9b-----9b-----9b--|
----------------------------------------|

Bm
S S S S S S S S S S S S E S S
--10-10-10-7-7-10-10-12-12-10-10-7-7--7-7-|
--10-10-10-7-7-10-10-12-12-10-10-7-7--7-7-|
------------------------------------------|

S S S S S S S S S S S S E S S
--10-10-10-7-7-12-12-12-12-10-10-7-7--7-7-|
--10-10-10-7-7-12-12-12-12-10-10-7-7--7-7-|

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE Saturday 7th December 2017:

I really needed a break from Jack White mate, sorry. I'll be back on it tomorrow. I had a quick go at this tonight. I still had some Jack White practise though but only 20 minutes trying to sort out the fingering of the diads.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=742900

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 9 2017, 09:30 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2017, 04:58 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, yeah, I prefer the way the right hand directions used in the videolesson. That's the more effective regarding speed and also to play the overall with the correct timing.

Nice to see you active at Todd's Shred Fest! I can see that your playing is getting more consistent. You'd never should stop practising improvisation, since that's you making music! Keep going with it.

About JAck White lesson, we could move forward and start a new lesson, while you keep it in your diary routine, what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 8 2017, 07:01 PM
Thanks Gab, (Todays update is at the bottom wink.gif )

I don't do many of Todd's Improvisations because it takes my time too much. My current schedule is learning Jack White lesson, Breaking The Law and playing Rock Steady & Highway To Hell as you recommended to keep polishing them. Fitting in Todd's Shred Fest is hard because you have to do a video and I don't like doing them using a cell phone or even just the video camera mic so I always do a proper video.

Regarding a new lesson to replace the Jack White lesson. Would you mind if we waited until I can at least play it at full speed even if it isn't perfect? I think that maybe it will slip of I don't give it my full attention and I really want to crack it. At the end of the day, it is still covering techniques that need improvement because if they didn't, then I would have cracked it already. I think if I finally crack it, it will be good for my mindset. Also it will take even more learning time from me as it will be something else I will be practising rather than learning new things.

Is the strumming method I suggested the same as you do in the lesson video? I think it is but it's hard to follow.

Please let me know if you don't agree and if you can suggest something to help with my practise routine that would be great. I've been thinking of having one day a week where I practise my classic rock repertoire and do a Shred Fest entry. What do you think? Or can you suggest anything else? Remember I only get 90-120 minutes and that has to include tune up, recording, rendering and uploading to SoundCloud, and if a video is required it also has to be done with the editing and uploading in that time. This all takes more time than expected out of my "fingers on fretboard time".

Sorry for the lengthy reply Gab, I hope it all makes sense.

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE 9th January 2017:

I know it isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination BUT, I am very very please that I managed to get it anywhere near close at full speed. Tomorrow I will drop back to 75bpm and increase slowly and polish. Finally I am getting it done smile.gif I am over the moon. It is pretty intense at full speed, this to me, shows I need to get much more comfortable with it.

I know the diads still need much work but I'm happy to even have it scruffy at full speed tongue.gif I think I was playing the diads with better rhythm when I had the wrong strumming directions but that is because it was more natural to me. Now I have finally trained my fingers to go the right way it is a bit twitchy and the timing is a bit manic but it will get more and more natural the more I do it. At least I can now hear my errors smile.gif

The other thing is, I changed my guitar to my PRS Ace, I had the pickup volume too high I think, not enough definition between strings, do you agree?

What do you think Gab? I'm panned hard left.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-and-gab-90bpm

Cheers buddy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 9 2017, 09:39 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2017, 11:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

Good job! You are close mate. There is obviously work to do in order to make this sound tighter, but the good news are that you can play the whole thing and keep the rhythm and sound of each note. The next step is to adjust the timing in order to be able to play the whole thing tight, at first over the lesson, and then only playing over the backing track.

About your practice, I think that it's ok to keep the current routine if you feel comfortable and motivated with it. Let's keep it since there is still work to do. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 10 2017, 09:55 PM
Thanks Gab,

I am fully motivated mate smile.gif I have learnt so much doing this lesson, I have learnt about how to learn and about myself and also about perseverance paying off. I now know that I can achieve if I persist, persist and, erm, persist wink.gif I am not going to give up on this one mate, not until I get at least a minimum score pass in REC. Any tips on how to keep squeezing improvement out of this or what to spend particular time on and how to go about it will be greatly appreciate it.

I didn't have much time tonight, I only had 3 hours sleep last night, I've got a bloody cough again, so many coughs going around the UK now, it seems everyone has one rolleyes.gif I got home, had my dinner and fell asleep until half way through my practise time. Oh well, life has its evil way again biggrin.gif

OK, here is my first attempt at recording it full speed without you. The second file has you on it but it is my original file with you added in the mix for reference. I recorded this totally on my own. I know there are mistakes, more than when I do it along with you but I have left them in so you can guide me. I guess it's to be expected as there is more to think about whenyou don't have the reference guitar to help keep you on track wink.gif I don't really see the point in me waiting for that one elusive take that has no mistakes when the mistakes are there more often than not.

I am still polishing it at lower BPM, and the slower ones are becoming better each time, the full speed is getting better too when I play along with you so it's time to push the boundaries, do you agree?. I am going to continue to practise playing along with you and then record without you, listen with you to compare and see where I am going off. Do you think this is a good way to go?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-90bpm

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-with-gab-in-mix-90bpm

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 11 2017, 05:36 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 11 2017, 09:35 PM
Hello Gab,

Tonight I've given it a good go but I keep having coughing attacks so can't get a good take in.

Regarding the recording above, listening tonight, I noticed that the bends in the intro lick are flat, well they sound flat to me. Am I right? I hope I am because that means my ear is improving slightly smile.gif Why don't these things get noticed at the time of playing? Too much going on?

Another improvement, if you can call it that is, when I make the mistake at 0:46, back in the day I would have had to start over, I could never pick up after an error so hopefully this is indicative of an improvement somewhere?

Anyway, let's hope this cough gets gone pretty soon, I can't risk losing my progress, it will send me insane wacko.gif

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 11 2017, 09:39 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2017, 03:36 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

yes, there is too much going on to take care of everything. At this point is ok to try to focus mostly on timing, to get the rhythm going at this tempo. Adjusting hands sync should be the following thing, to then work on other details like bending and vibrato at normal tempo. The idea of playing this at normal tempo is just to train your mind, in order to feel more familiar with the speed (Shawn video speech concept). Then, you should also dedicate some time to practice at slower tempos to be able to think on details.

I don't think that bending is a big problem for you when playing stuff that you already mastered, but it's normal to have issues when working on new stuff.

I still think that working on smaller blocks would be a good idea for this one.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 13 2017, 08:52 AM
Thanks Gab,

I'm out of action at the moment, can't even try to play guitar as I keep having severe coughing attacks. And doctors can't do anything. See HERE. Sometimes I am coughing so much I nearly pass out mad.gif

What I will do when I am back in action is something like this, practice bars 1&2, then 2&3, then 3&4 etc. This way you still practice the transitions between the bars. Do you think this is good or do you suggest something else?

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 13 2017, 02:28 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2017, 09:44 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I'm sorry about the cough issue. So this is a virus at your country and many people is suffering it?

Take your time to get better and let me know when you have new takes. I think that dividing the lesson in blocks is the way to go so your idea is exactly what I would do.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 15 2017, 01:30 PM
Thanks Gab,

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 14 2017, 08:44 PM) *
Hi Phil, I'm sorry about the cough issue. So this is a virus at your country and many people is suffering it?

Yeah, that article was about my county but it does seem to be sweeping the country. It takes a lot to take me out, I have the constitution of an ox ( La constitución de un buey ) usually which in our country means "Tough as old boots, to possess an unusually robust amount of strength, determination, and stamina, so as to be able to work extremely hard and/or overcome hardships or limiting factors (e.g., sickness, fatigue, alcohol, drugs, etc.)" but that cough and the associated aches and pains took me out mate, I managed to get to work and struggle along but I was on auto pilot.

I would have played my guitar but the action of violent coughing made it physically impossible mad.gif . To top it all, I had the mother of all migraines yesterday, I was crawling the walls, it was like a hangover from hell but I had not had a drop of drink, I always go the whole of January without alcohol. I am much better today though (Sunday), the cough is clearing, the aches and pains are going but I don't take much notice of those anyway, I just feel weak, I lost 4lbs in weight yesterday as I couldn't eat due to being sick with the migraine.

It's annoying that I had a similar thing just before Christmas and now another. Just an excursion to a derelict town on our journey of life eh?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 14 2017, 08:44 PM) *
I think that dividing the lesson in blocks is the way to go so your idea is exactly what I would do.

The breaking down into blocks is your idea mate, you always say it, I don't actually ignore it but when I've got one bar down, I tend to try to polish and speed that bar up while I learn the next, the old habit is hard to break, it's not that I don't listen smile.gif
The main thing I wanted know, is do you think the overlapping of the bars is the best or do you have a better idea?

Thanks Gab, I'll be back very very soon, I get over things much quicker than most, my motto, as much as is physically possible; "Take no notice and get on with it!" ph34r.gif

UPDATE 15th January 2016:

I thought I'd have a slow go at the Jack White lesson to get back into it a bit. I noticed something. It may be the reason I thought my bends sounded flat when I heard my solo guitar. I have only been playing along with you and bending to pitch to match you. On my solo playing they sounded flat when I listened. I have just noticed that they are 1/4 tone bends. Will these always sound flat as they can't really be in key can they? Or can they? I mean it's not even a fret so maybe that's why, to my ears they sounded flat. If I'm right, it's a good thing in a way because it means my ears are learning to notice things that aren't semitones. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and need to re-think.

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 15 2017, 10:09 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2017, 04:01 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

Ok, it's nice to know that you are getting better. I haven't heard about this before, I hope that the virus doesn't reach Argentina. Fingers crossed that it doesn't grow.

About dividing in parts, yeah, I know that I've said this many many times, but I think that it's never too much when talking about important things. I don't know if you have hear about the 80/20 concept but I usually repeat a lot those things that are the 20% that give us the 80% of the good results.

The way to divide it depends on each person, I think that you'll be able to discover the most effective way for you. But always remember that once you master 2 blocks, you have a third step that is connecting both, so maybe your idea can be effective.

Regarding the 1/4 bends, this video will clarify it:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 16 2017, 10:42 PM
Thanks Gab,

Interesting video. Tonight I had half an hour exploring 1/4 tone bends. It's not easy as you have no reference so I used my tuner to try and get the 'A' bend right been 'A' and 'A#'. It's going to take action while to get the lesson up to speed playing on my own but I'm not bored of it yet, I've accepted that it is highlighting areas that need a LOT of work so I think it's best to use something I'm more familiar with than learning a new lesson.

I have to get back on track with Judas Priest too.

About breaking down into small blocks. I think overlapping bars is good but when I'm on bars 3&4 I don't want to neglect 1&2, this is why I always tend to use small blocks but I add them to the ones I've already learnt so I don't neglect the earlier ones. How do you recommend doing this? Should I, for example, practice 3&4 for half an hour and then add 1&2 for ten minutes. So wherever I am, I spend 10-15 minutes after practicing two bars a adding them to my previously learnt bars?

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2017, 12:28 AM
Instructor
Yes, it's important to play everything every day, but focus more on one part. So dedicating 10 minutes to the parts previously worked is a good plan. Go for it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 17 2017, 07:52 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm on it, still having the occasional coughing attack but hey ho let's go wink.gif

Also looking into The Pareto Principle; interesting! I have experienced it at work with people I have trained, they get pretty good in a few weeks, they get very good in a few months and to get to my level they take years, so that is very similar.

http://www.joehubbardbass.com/823/learning...-the-8020-rule/

http://www.stuartbahn.com/80-20-rule-guitar-playing/

Now I just need to harness that concept.

Thank you.

Ok, I've had to take a few steps back so am refining two bars at a time. Here are the first 2 bars of Jack White, first track on my own, second with you mixed in for reference and me panned left. Track was recorded without having you playing alongside. I know the last note is extended but that won't happen when I play bars 2&3. The bend still sounds flat to me, maybe because it isn't a "real" note, I don't know unsure.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-12-90bpm

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-gab-12-90bpm

Ok, this is the first time I've practised Breaking The Law since before Christmas because of one thing or another. Anyway, the are a couple of BIG mistakes, not that I can't play them normally but they happened in this take and I had no more time to retake but wanted to get something to you.. They are mainly mis-fingered chords when I suddenly forgot what was next rolleyes.gif The main thing is what do you make of the basic feel of it not counting the mistakes? I can overcome those it's more the timing and feel. Me left GP5 right.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/breaking-the-law-to-solo

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 17 2017, 09:53 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 18 2017, 01:46 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, those are cool links. The first time I've read about the principle was when reading the book 4 hours work week. It's really interesting and it's awesome how it can be applied to everything.

Both recording sound good. The feeling is similar on both, you can play the parts at tempo, and there is some little room to make everything sound more consistent regarding timing. I think that working on these small parts will help, you just need more days of work.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 18 2017, 09:24 PM
Thanks Gab,

I've bought the book. Got novel to finish first then I'll start reading it wink.gif

I'll keep practising and put some more takes up when I think I've improved and you can critique them if that's ok? I can hear the timing issues on Breaking the Law but not so much on the Jack White......................................................I've just had a thought, I might slow the Jack White recording way way down in the DAW so I can hear where my timing is out more easily. Maybe it's just too quick for my ears to pick out at the moment and slowing it down will make the timing error more pronounced. What do you think?

Cheers

smile.gif

UPDATE:
I tried the slowing down of my own recording and it did highlight things, timing wise, that I couldn't hear at full speed.

Bar 1 isn't too bad, bar 2 has two separate issues.

One time the timing of the whole phrase was ok but I came in slightly late, when I matched up the first note of bar two
in the DAW with your first note of bar two, the rest matched.

Another time I came in at the correct time but played it slower than you. I couldn't really hear this a full speed though so I think it will help, fingers crossed smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 19 2017, 09:17 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 19 2017, 09:28 PM
UPDATE TO ABOVE POSTS Thursday 19th January 2016:

Oh dear, the germs have re-grouped and drafted in new troops, a second wave of the virus is attacking me, I will fight it but I can't play guitar again because it is just physically impossible when having coughing attacks mad.gif mad.gif I am getting enough non cough time to fit in 2 bars of Jack White though smile.gif

I think the timing is tighter now.

Me on my own.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-bars-1-and-2-90bpm

With you mixed in for reference:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-and-gab-bars-1-and-2-90bpm

As I said, I can't top coughing for long enough to play Breaking The Law.

Cheers Gab

UPDATE:

As I can't play for very long at one single time I carried on to bars 2&3 and 3&4. I recorded the files below on my own with just the backing and as usual added you in for reference. They are both bars 1 through to 4. I think the timing is out on the chords. This slowing down to 50bpm for playback with you as reference is really helping but it is time consuming.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-bars-1-to-4-90bpm

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-phil-and-gab-bars-1-to-4-90bpm

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 19 2017, 09:50 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 51 52 53 54 55 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:20 AM