5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Back (maybe)
Phil66
Jul 20 2022, 08:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

Well I've been having a hard time with life lately, so much so that I completely lost all interest in guitar playing which wasn't helped by the mighty Gab not being around so much these days sad.gif That, compounded with everything else even made me lose my love of music, even that moment at 2:25-2:32 in Always With Me Always With You by Satriani that has ALWAYS caught my breath, even after hundreds of listens just did nothing for me any more. I was listening to more Talk Radio than anything else.

Anyway, after a talk with Gab and Todd last night, both of whom listened to my story, didn't try to force me back just said that they hoped I would get my old self back some time and that they were both there to support me through everything, today something happened, some spark was ignited by this piece of music below, if you can listen to the WHOLE thing. The execution, the control, the discipline, the slurs, incredible!!!!! This rekindled my love of music somewhat.. Thanks guys smile.gif

https://youtu.be/QrdI1pYXXmc

Then I rediscovered this old tune which fired up my love of guitar.

https://youtu.be/pxpO5vSq2Pg

This made me decide to do something that might destroy me unsure.gif I've bought Always With Me Always With You for Guitar Pro and set myself the enormous task of learning it. Unfortunately I'm not like Monika who has the patience to spend weeks on a phrase to get perfection, she is an exceptional human being and I really admire her but, I won't mind if I fumble through it as long as it's recognisable, (I've heard some of Satriani's studio out takes of the track and they have much fumbling). I have the TAB book from when I bought my first guitar but I prefer to use GP and it was only €2 . There are a couple of minor errors in the GP file from what I can hear but at least I spotted them, there may be more but I'll have to see how it goes and if I spot them.

https://youtu.be/VI57QHL6ge0

Let's hope this isn't a flash in the pan.

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Jul 20 2022, 08:58 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm getting videos unavailable on my end.

But..

Keep the fire alive, Phil!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 20 2022, 09:06 PM
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Jul 20 2022, 08:58 PM) *
I'm getting videos unavailable on my end.

But..

Keep the fire alive, Phil!

Thank you buddy.

The videos in order are:

Lesley Garrett, Amazing Grace (The one with the African music intro)

Manowar, All Men Play On Ten

Joe Satriani, Always With Me Always With You (official video)

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2022, 04:26 AM
GMC:er
Super stoked to see you back in the groove! smile.gif I think learning some classic SATCH is a great idea!!!!!! Diving in to music that makes you love life, love playing, and love music, is a wonderful thing.

I can't wait to hear how it goes! No pressure but if you want to share some bits as you progress I'm sure everyone would love to hear it!!

Todd

quote name='Phil66' date='Jul 20 2022, 04:06 PM' post='799802']
Thank you buddy.

The videos in order are:

Lesley Garrett, Amazing Grace (The one with the African music intro)

Manowar, All Men Play On Ten

Joe Satriani, Always With Me Always With You (official video)
[/quote]

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 21 2022, 04:28 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 21 2022, 06:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
Phil, I'm very happy to hear that you have found your way back to music. smile.gif I love the song that you have chosen to learn. Enjoy the practice and don't put pressure on you. The purpose of the guitar is to make you happy.

Keep us updated and welcome back!!!

BTW thank you for your kind words. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 21 2022, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome back folks, smile.gif

I'm using this to help with fingerings and to get the more modern vibe of the track too. Tricky trying to get anywhere near the tone though rolleyes.gif

https://youtu.be/Dkudq4Tp1mw

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 21 2022, 09:57 PM
GMC Founder
Very happy to see you here again mate 🤗

Awesome analysis of that classic tune by Satch btw - very sinpirational!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 21 2022, 10:31 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Hang in there, Phil and Rock on!

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jul 22 2022, 01:51 AM
Learning Chord Basher
Welcome back Phil!
Glad to see you are back

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 22 2022, 02:49 PM
Thanks for your kind words folks 😊

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 29 2022, 06:15 AM
Well, Always With Me Always With You is an amazing piece to learn. I'm only a few bars in and those opening muted chords will have to wait for another day biggrin.gif but I thoroughly recommend anyone to spend some time each day working through it. It's played along the whole neck, lots of technique, four note chromatic pull offs being one I'm struggling to get to sound as fluid ss Satch.

I doubt I'll ever be able to play it at full speed, even though it's a ballad, there are some nifty licks in there and I think most of you could get something from it by working through it, even just the first 30 bars after the muted chord intro will show you many things you could incorporate into your playing, and the phrasing is just sublime. You don't even have to try to get to full speed, just use it as an inspirational tool to be enlightened with. I'm blown away with it and appreciate the man more now, than ever.

Speak soon smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Jul 30 2022, 01:31 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Phill

Happy to hear that you keep love for guitar.
Rythm part Always with me.... is absolutly fabulous.
Firts chord is very complicated but it's sound great.
It's my favorit piece of Jo S.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 30 2022, 04:55 PM
QUOTE (Manu RASSE @ Jul 30 2022, 01:31 PM) *
Hi Phill

Happy to hear that you keep love for guitar.
Rythm part Always with me.... is absolutly fabulous.
Firts chord is very complicated but it's sound great.
It's my favorit piece of Jo S.

Thanks Manu,

Whenever I i introduce anyone to Joe Satriani I always play them Always With Me Always With You and Surfing With The Alien

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 1 2022, 08:47 PM
Hello folks,

It would be great to get some help with this section, here's the link to where it starts https://youtu.be/VI57QHL6ge0?t=70 if that doesn't work, it's 1:10-1:14 on the official video at the bottom.

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew laugh.gif it's looking like it's legato, or small legato phrases each picked initially but I can't work the fingering out and I can't find a video of him playing it that shows his fingers.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 1 2022, 09:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 1 2022, 09:47 PM) *
Hello folks,

It would be great to get some help with this section, here's the link to where it starts https://youtu.be/VI57QHL6ge0?t=70 if that doesn't work, it's 1:10-1:14 on the official video at the bottom.

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew laugh.gif it's looking like it's legato, or small legato phrases each picked initially but I can't work the fingering out and I can't find a video of him playing it that shows his fingers.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Cheers

Let me know if this helps smile.gif You inspired and motivated with your post and made me pick up the guitar again. Thank you!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 1 2022, 10:02 PM
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 1 2022, 09:37 PM) *
Let me know if this helps smile.gif You inspired and motivated with your post and made me pick up the guitar again. Thank you!

Thanks Ben,

I'll see what I can do with it. I'm glad my post gave you a bit of inspiration and it's great to see you looking genuinly happy biggrin.gif

It's a beautifully executed run and the kind that shows Satch's melodic side. Also I think it's tricky, (for me anyway) because it just doesn't sound right played slowly, I struggle at 10% and it's hard to recognise the phrasing of that's the correct terminology.

You said that you don't think the TAB is right, it is a "My Songbook" file from Guitar Pro, I have the Total Accuracy tab book but haven't cross checked yet but that also has errors unless it's my ears.

Thank you for taking the time to do that Ben, much appreciated, I'll try to follow your fingers on the screen.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 1 2022, 10:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 1 2022, 10:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 1 2022, 11:02 PM) *
Thanks Ben,

I'll see what I can do with it. I'm glad my post gave you a bit of inspiration and it's great to see you looking genuinly happy biggrin.gif

It's a beautifully executed run and the kind that shows Satch's melodic side. Also I think it's tricky, (for me anyway) because it just doesn't sound right played slowly, I struggle at 10% and it's hard to recognise the phrasing of that's the correct terminology.

You said that you don't think the TAB is right, it is a "My Songbook" file from Guitar Pro, I have the Total Accuracy tab book but haven't cross checked yet but that also has errors unless it's my ears.

Thank you for taking the time to do that Ben, much appreciated, I'll try to follow your fingers on the screen.

Cheers

You have always been an inspiration to me smile.gif

Just a small follow up:

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 2 2022, 04:38 AM
GMC:er
It's great to see everyone coming together for sake of learning and in support for our brother Phil. Super thanks to everyone especially Ben! Great vids and analysis. Phil its wonderful to see you going for it!!!

I wanted to share just a bit on this lick, and the section phil mentioned. It's a class Joe run using his trademark slurring in 3s concept which I've stolen directly from him smile.gif It was many years ago when i first heard this and had to have it for myself. He uses this technique quite a bit, as do i honestly. Once your fingers understand this approach, you can use this technique for giving just about any solo that "Joe" vibe. As long as you are playing this type of thing mostly correctly, it gives off that slurred joe thing. Hope this helps smile.gif

If it is not playing, here is the direct link. Acting odd in this browser.
https://youtube.com/shorts/lIVxU4oF87Q

Also, here is a video of the entire solo with a clear view of fingers smile.gif Hopes this helps as well.

Here joe is doing it live and you can see his fingers, but notice he plays entire chunks of the solo quite differently. He is still keeping most of the same beats/time, so that one section he still starts and ends on the same place and is still in key, just plays around with it a bit more. Solos are never written in stone, especially for a player like Joe.

QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 1 2022, 05:09 PM) *

Just a small follow up:

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 2 2022, 07:04 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 2 2022, 08:30 AM
Thank you Ben and Todd, I'll check those out later today and see how much my fingers get tangled laugh.gif

Much appreciated

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 2 2022, 09:13 AM
Thank you Ben and Todd, I'll check those out later today and see how much my fingers get tangled laugh.gif

Much appreciated

QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 1 2022, 10:09 PM) *

Thanks buddy, I'm not fishing for compliments but how do I inspire you? I'm interested to know.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:50 PM