5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Back (maybe)
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 10 2022, 02:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 10 2022, 02:35 PM) *
It's not so much the playing of it that's different, I don't think I'll be picking it at full speed if I ever get anywhere near, I can play it legato but I have to keep stopping to look at the tab.

The main thing is I was struggling to remember the note sequence when trying to fit the legato in too, as soon as I started picking everything (except the note after the 6\4 slide) I remembered the sequence in about ten minutes.

It might be strange but then again so is my head wacko.gif blink.gif wacko.gif

Cheers

That seems a bit weird indeed. The pattern is not really changing after all laugh.gif Are you using the same fingerings for the pattern when you are picking it and when you are playing it legato? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2022, 02:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 10 2022, 02:32 PM) *
That seems a bit weird indeed. The pattern is not really changing after all laugh.gif Are you using the same fingerings for the pattern when you are picking it and when you are playing it legato? smile.gif

Yes buddy, exactly the same fingering, just picking instead of hammering and pulling off. I started to remember the sequence after two runs. Once I can pick it fluidly at even 30% then I'll switch to legato. I'm just weird wacko.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2022, 09:10 PM
Further to the above comment, here is a video,

I know it's way off on rhythm, timing, everything in fact but I've put it here anyway.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/xJ3h1Dpk3Ys

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2022, 05:50 AM
GMC:er
You are making good progress on this! It's a long run and a great bit of music to work through. Just getting from one end of the song to the other is a huge win. Your alt picking and muting is working well here from the look things super congrats on your progress thus far!

It looks like you have got the notes/run memorized so well done on that. Does it work if you start reducing your number of pick strikes, for example, just striking when changing strings and leveraging legato for the rest?

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 10 2022, 04:10 PM) *
Further to the above comment, here is a video,

I know it's way off on rhythm, timing, everything in fact but I've put it here anyway.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 12 2022, 07:35 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 12 2022, 05:50 AM) *
You are making good progress on this! It's a long run and a great bit of music to work through. Just getting from one end of the song to the other is a huge win. Your alt picking and muting is working well here from the look things super congrats on your progress thus far!

It looks like you have got the notes/run memorized so well done on that. Does it work if you start reducing your number of pick strikes, for example, just striking when changing strings and leveraging legato for the rest?

Todd

Thanks Todd,

I didn't get much chance last night, I'm going to stick with this tempo and just picking until I know the lick completely without stuttering, then I'll work on the legato. As I said to you the other day, I think I'll be able to play the whole thing eventually but it will be a various tempos, at least it will be a different spin on it.

I need to work on other stuff too though, this is consuming me and I'm mindful that because it's technically tricky for me, I might get discouraged.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2022, 08:35 AM
Update:

Had a bit of a drop in enthusiasm the last couple of days. Back on it soon hopefully.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2022, 09:05 PM
First time I've had another go since my last video really.

Tonight's attempt, so much to think about and I struggle to relax, timing/rhythm is way off but there are some minor improvements even though it's free style.

https://youtu.be/ax7xhVNLkh8

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 18 2022, 09:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
I see huge improvements already smile.gif I'll get back to you when I'm not affected by having had a few too many beers laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2022, 09:43 PM
QUOTE (Storm Linnebjerg @ Aug 18 2022, 09:29 PM) *
I see huge improvements already smile.gif I'll get back to you when I'm not affected by having had a few too many beers laugh.gif

Thanks buddy, literally had 15-20 minutes tonight, first go since last video, seemed to go well.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2022, 12:16 AM
big gains!! You are making great progress on this. Some days, you won't feel like messing with it and that's just part of how it goes imho. Sometimes the fingers and brain need a break. The good news is that when you come back to it, you can sometimes make better progress. Awesome job!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 18 2022, 04:05 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 19 2022, 08:30 AM
Thanks Todd,

Looking back, I think sometimes I haven't been free enough with my lessons/practise. Out of a sense of duty to Gab, you etc, I've forced my self to keep practising something I'm not feeling, sometimes even growing to hate but carrying on out of a sense of duty due to the time my instructor/mentor has put into me. Maybe I should be a bit more bohemian about my lessons, a bit more random, stick at them while I'm enjoying them no matter how hard they get but swap when the fun stops even if it's an easy lesson.

Tenacity can be a detrimental bind sometimes.

What do you think?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 19 2022, 10:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 18 2022, 10:05 PM) *

Tonight's attempt, so much to think about and I struggle to relax, timing/rhythm is way off but there are some minor improvements even though it's free style.

https://youtu.be/ax7xhVNLkh8

Great to see you working on this lick, Phil! I'm really enjoying this thread smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 19 2022, 09:30 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

Looking back, I think sometimes I haven't been free enough with my lessons/practise. Out of a sense of duty to Gab, you etc, I've forced my self to keep practising something I'm not feeling, sometimes even growing to hate but carrying on out of a sense of duty due to the time my instructor/mentor has put into me. Maybe I should be a bit more bohemian about my lessons, a bit more random, stick at them while I'm enjoying them no matter how hard they get but swap when the fun stops even if it's an easy lesson.

Tenacity can be a detrimental bind sometimes.

What do you think?

Cheers

Welcome to my TED talk laugh.gif

Btw, sorry for mentioning Portsmouth. It's Wolves of course. Too bad you guys will lose to my favorite team this weekend biggrin.gif I was gonna mention football and just finding joy in small doses, then kinda went elsewhere with it laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Storm Linnebjerg: Aug 19 2022, 10:30 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 19 2022, 10:01 PM
Yeah Spurs will probably beat us especially as we're away. What does "Portsmouth" mean?

I tried thumb behind the neck tonight, the joints in my thumb hurt. I think this whole tune is taxing on my worn out left hand. I can do thumb behind the neck but only if my fingers stay on their respective 1,2,3 or 4 fret. My finger tips are getting blisters on the sides because of the pull offs done at a stretch, another factor is that I'm more tense because I struggle with the stretch.

Maybe a mentor isn't what I need at the moment. Maybe I just need to randomly work on whatever takes my fancy and post it here for you and others to critique. I don't mean that I feel instructors aren't necessary, the most certainly are, but, it's just that I am the sort of person that doesn't like letting people down an I think that if I flit from one thing to another then the instructor will get pissed off with me so I just carry on doing what they ask.

I don't mind hard work, I don't mind difficult work but when working hard to overcome the difficulty becomes joyless, that's when I tend to dig in and doggedly soldier on through the quagmire but all the time getting resentful about the lesson I'm learning.

Thanks for your help and wise words which I fully agree with but acting on them is a different story.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 20 2022, 07:50 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 20 2022, 04:38 AM
Dude. You gotta play what you are feeling. It's that simple. If you are not feeling a given lesson/mission/etc. you should say so and just skip it. I'd sure be ok with that as I'm sure Gabe would be. If practice becomes a chore, it's lost. It should be something we want to tackle imho. If it isn't, then we are maybe fighting up the wrong hill.

Ben is spot on, as always. If it's not fun, it's really not worth it. You'll know your playing the right bits when it is fun. Discipline usually follows, when something is just fun/interesting to learn/play. If it's not, then it's probably time to move on to something that is.

Play what you love smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 20 2022, 04:41 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 20 2022, 07:27 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 20 2022, 04:38 AM) *
Dude. You gotta play what you are feeling. It's that simple. If you are not feeling a given lesson/mission/etc. you should say so and just skip it. I'd sure be ok with that as I'm sure Gabe would be. If practice becomes a chore, it's lost. It should be something we want to tackle imho. If it isn't, then we are maybe fighting up the wrong hill.

Ben is spot on, as always. If it's not fun, it's really not worth it. You'll know your playing the right bits when it is fun. Discipline usually follows, when something is just fun/interesting to learn/play. If it's not, then it's probably time to move on to something that is.

Play what you love smile.gif

Thanks buddy,

I can be like a dog with a bone and ill keep chewing away even if that bone is toxic. I don't like to be beaten and I guess it hinders progress, also, as said, I don't like to feel I'm letting my instructor down or messing them around.

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 22 2022, 03:39 AM
It's important that playing and practice is something that seems more fun than chore imho. Every player has to work that out for themselves of course. Just in general, it's best to play things that one wants to play. If it starts feeling too much like work, and too little like fun, then it's hard not to resent it. Nobody here will ever feel you've let them down buddy. You don't ever have to worry about that here I'm certain of it. We are all here to help each other other out smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 20 2022, 02:27 AM) *
Thanks buddy,

I can be like a dog with a bone and ill keep chewing away even if that bone is toxic. I don't like to be beaten and I guess it hinders progress, also, as said, I don't like to feel I'm letting my instructor down or messing them around.

Cheers smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 22 2022, 01:17 PM
Cheers buddy cool.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 22 2022, 03:39 AM) *
It's important that playing and practice is something that seems more fun than chore imho. Every player has to work that out for themselves of course. Just in general, it's best to play things that one wants to play. If it starts feeling too much like work, and too little like fun, then it's hard not to resent it. Nobody here will ever feel you've let them down buddy. You don't ever have to worry about that here I'm certain of it. We are all here to help each other other out smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 23 2022, 08:59 PM
Okay, here's a very messy take, still not familiar enough with a lot of it but need to overcome some recording nerves rolleyes.gif

It gets chopped off ever so slightly early too, sorry.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 24 2022, 04:58 AM
First off super congrats for learning this entire thing. There are a lot of notes in there. Also, there are a lot of bends in there. It's just a tricky bit of music as it's written by one of the best players to ever touch the instrument. HUGE gains made so far on this. Your muting and picking have really made a great deal of progress. You are hitting all the high spots in this take, and from here it's mostly just refining. E.G. working on each bend to make sure it's in pitch, etc.

Have you been playing along with the track itself? I always enjoyed playing along with my fave tracks. Always made it feel more like music and less like practice.

Great job on this and keep it up!!

Todd

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 24 2022, 06:59 AM
Thanks Todd,

I am really enjoying it even though it's super tricky, for me anyway. I think I enjoy it because I've always loved it since first hearing and it hasn't got stale at all.

I'm not playing along with the track at the moment, even though it doesn't sound it, it's pretty frantic when you're learning it, I think it's because it uses all of the neck. Also I can't play it all at the same tempo so it's hard to set a bpm. That's why I recorded it "freestyle" wink.gif

I was thinking of learning about the same amount of a few tracks to kind of make a medley to play for that moment when they say "So what can you play" but I'm not so sure.

Cheers for your kind words.

Phil

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 24 2022, 04:58 AM) *
First off super congrats for learning this entire thing. There are a lot of notes in there. Also, there are a lot of bends in there. It's just a tricky bit of music as it's written by one of the best players to ever touch the instrument. HUGE gains made so far on this. Your muting and picking have really made a great deal of progress. You are hitting all the high spots in this take, and from here it's mostly just refining. E.G. working on each bend to make sure it's in pitch, etc.

Have you been playing along with the track itself? I always enjoyed playing along with my fave tracks. Always made it feel more like music and less like practice.

Great job on this and keep it up!!

Todd

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:15 PM