2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Big Band Funk Groove...., Advices of all
Manu RASSE
Aug 9 2022, 04:15 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hello

In the absence of Gab's answers, I submit this video. (I hope Gab is well and on vacation)

BIG BAND FUNK GROOVES (Diego BUDICIN)

I framed the video so I wouldn't show that I was in underwear because it's hot here in France. cool.gif
I started working on this lesson in early February.
Learning was very slow because the licks from the beginning were difficult to memorize because they resemble each other.
Work was 1 hour daily for 30 to 40 days. I felt stuck. You know! This feeling of being at the end of abilities and also
having to play the same thing too much for too long... I went on to another lesson, then another and then another that
I submitted to the REC.

For the past week, I've been taking this lesson again and I'm enjoying it again.
I feel like I've gained some trust from this one. I'm not talking about great progress, but I feel relaxed.
I think I can improve it... The days and weeks ahead will tell me. I am aware that the finality will not
be up to Diego's playing, but it could make me proud and would be a new step forward.

I'd like to know what you think of this pre-REC
Anyone can give me their opinion.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: Aug 9 2022, 05:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Diego Budicin
Aug 9 2022, 06:35 PM
Instructor
This sounds really great man!! Thanks for posting it.

Your tone is just perfect! One thing I recommend is to focus a little more on timing because sometimes you are rushing a little bit.

But overall this sounds awesome! Keep it up the great work biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Aug 9 2022, 06:47 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Diego.
I m honored ton read your feedback.
You are a master on GMC - I like your modern musicalty

I keep hard work
I Hope make better in a few week.

The level on this one is very high.

Many many many thx for your feedback😍

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 9 2022, 08:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hey Manu!

You are going in a good direction, but I recommend you to add some practice at a very slow tempo. There are some things that need to be fixed.

I agree with Diego about the timing issues. Are very audible.

Be careful of accents (are highly important) and dynamics. At this moment you play this lesson a little too soft for this style.
Also, if you will decide to make an effort and copy the picking direction used by Diego, you will be surprised how much your take will be improved. Keep in mind that upstroke has a different tonality than downstroke.

0:27 - 0:31 - review the slow video no.4. Don't add any additional strumming after you go on the slide. Try to focus on how Diego plays this part.

0:43 - recheck from the rhythmical point of view the beginning of this part.

This is an amazing lesson and quite hard but I think if you will have patience you can make it sound in a good way. You are a really awesome player (never forget this)!!! smile.gif
Keep us updated and if you need help let us know. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 10 2022, 02:21 AM
GMC:er
DUDE! You are an amazing player and you got this!! smile.gif Here is a short demo on palm muted funk picking that I hope will help smile.gif You have all the skills needed to play this bit. It's lifted directly from previous work you did with me in Bootcamp! smile.gif

Take a look and let me know if you can hear what I"m talking about?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 10 2022, 08:48 AM

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Aug 10 2022, 04:54 AM
Veteran Tone Master
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 9 2022, 07:57 PM) *
Hey Manu!

You are going in a good direction, but I recommend you to add some practice at a very slow tempo. There are some things that need to be fixed.

I agree with Diego about the timing issues. Are very audible.

Be careful of accents (are highly important) and dynamics. At this moment you play this lesson a little too soft for this style.
Also, if you will decide to make an effort and copy the picking direction used by Diego, you will be surprised how much your take will be improved. Keep in mind that upstroke has a different tonality than downstroke.

0:27 - 0:31 - review the slow video no.4. Don't add any additional strumming after you go on the slide. Try to focus on how Diego plays this part.

- recheck from the rhythmical point of view the beginning of this part.

This is an amazing lesson and quite hard but I think if you will have patience you can make it sound in a good way. You are a really awesome player (never forget this)!!! smile.gif
Keep us updated and if you need help let us know. wink.gif

Hi Monica

0:27 - 0:31 : I saw the section and I understood.I will try to play slowly to correct this part.
0:43 - I can’t start at the same time as Diego. However, I get a little closer every day. I am aware of this point.

Thank you, I should get back to you soon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 10 2022, 01:21 AM) *
Very cool lesson and I'm enjoying your playing! One thing that sorta jumps out is how heavy handed the pick hand muted strikes are in the original lesson video. He's not using the traditional left hand muting technique often seen in funk playing for the single note palm mutes notes. Instead, he's using right hand technique often used for playing heavy metal which is to say palm muting while striking. This allows for precise control and allows for more dynamics when an un muted note is struck.

This is a very different approach to what is normally required when playing, say, neoclassical rock. In playing funk using this approach, the notes on the lower strings must be struck harder than your probably accustomed to striking them. That's what makes the bass notes have more of a pop/thump sound to them. When using a clean/no distortion/funk tone, the palm muted notes must be struck pretty hard or they don't stand out enough compared to the un muted notes.

See if you can increase the right hand palm mute pressure for the muted notes and also the pick pressure at the same time. This will help create more tonal contrast between palm muted notes and the un palm muted notes. It's this interplay between tonality that helps give this piece it's unique vibe.

It's almost as if he's playing funk but using a heavy metal palm mute style which is what's so cool about this one smile.gif

Todd

Hi Sarge

Thank you for feedback
Diego masters all the techniques it is impressive.
I am not a metal or heavy player so I play with my little experience.
The tone I get with the simulation does not allow me to copy these kinds of very powerful palm muting on the E string

I’ll think about it when I play, I should try to make better.

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: Aug 10 2022, 04:57 AM

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Aug 10 2022, 04:55 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Monica
I’m a little confused because during some training I’m playing with Diego’s video.
I analyzed Diego’s playing.
video "4": 3 rhythms are played starting from the high strings the 4th is played with a down up
Video "MAIN": The first rythm is played from the high strings and the other 3 are played down up

You know what I mean ?

Hi Sarge
Thank you for the personnal video
I should try to play like that.

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: Aug 10 2022, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 10 2022, 06:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Manu RASSE @ Aug 10 2022, 03:55 PM) *
Hi Monica
I’m a little confused because during some training I’m playing with Diego’s video.
I analyzed Diego’s playing.
video "4": 3 rhythms are played starting from the high strings the 4th is played with a down up
Video "MAIN": The first rythm is played from the high strings and the other 3 are played down up

You know what I mean ?

Hi Manu!

Yes, it's always good to follow the main video. We use the slow videos to learn and understand how the techniques are executed.

Now let me make you a different explanation to understand better where you make the mistake (video "4").
For this purpose, I combined a piece from Diego's main video and a piece from your video. Both videos are slowed at 50%. I hope the quality of the sound is quite ok and will help you to see the differences that I was talking about.

The whole idea in this particular section is: after you make the slide you need to hold those notes (I highlighted them in the tab with red color) a little longer.
In your take, instead of keeping that particular notes longer, you add here an additional strum (down). If you listen carefully, you will hear that you played that notes twice and this is an issue because it changes the rhythm in that spot.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Aug 10 2022, 07:03 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Thx Monica

I see the difference.
I started to work this part without additionnal strum.

I need a lot of work I should make an other take in one week.

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Aug 24 2022, 05:13 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi

It’s been 15 days and I’m working every day on this lesson. I’ve been working on timing with metronome.
I still have trouble with this note played late on time at 42 seconds, I keep focus and hoping to correct this.

I keep working but I wanted to know what you think of this take.
I feel zero progression, it's frustrating sad.gif .

Tone is not the same, I think bad setting Tone and volume.

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: Aug 24 2022, 05:14 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 24 2022, 06:43 PM
You're getting better at it.
To get the muted funk tone you need to pick harder while at the same time 'mute' the strings a little more.

Do you listen to this type of music at all?
The reason I ask is because the main issue is that you're really not "in the pocket". A combination of both rushing and dragging.

Have you ever heard Tower of Power?

Even though he looks relaxed, check out how aggressive the guitar player is with his attack (Bruce Conti, RIP).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Aug 24 2022, 07:50 PM

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Aug 24 2022, 07:11 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi klasaine

Yes I listen this kind of music.
I m fan of funk music.

I don t have a groove in me.
My personnality is not enough espressive.
I accept this thing because it s me.

I know that my playing is more smooth.
I try to play like Diego but it s very difficult for me.
However I take a pleasure

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 24 2022, 08:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Manu RASSE @ Aug 24 2022, 04:13 PM) *
Hi

It’s been 15 days and I’m working every day on this lesson. I’ve been working on timing with metronome.
I still have trouble with this note played late on time at 42 seconds, I keep focus and hoping to correct this.

I keep working but I wanted to know what you think of this take.
I feel zero progression, it's frustrating sad.gif .

Tone is not the same, I think bad setting Tone and volume.

Hi Manu!

You are right, the tone is not so cool. I liked your first tone more because it was a little much brighter. From my point of view, that tone fit better with the lesson.

You already pointed out about the part from 0:42. So I will skip this detail.

First, the very good thing. I really love the fact that you fixed the section from 0:26 - 0:30. That's the rhythm that we need there. smile.gif
Now to make this part shine, you need to bring a little more clearness and at 0:29 don't forget to put a stronger accent on these notes:
Attached Image

Let's point out some of the details that need more work.

As a general observation, you still have timing issues (I will mention some of the weakness parts). It's a hard lesson and this problem (timing) will be fixed in time. You just need to have patience and get more confidence in playing.

0:17 - 0:18 - try to play this part more clearly.

0:20 - 0:24 - I can not hear all the notes perfectly. Also take care of accents and timing. You hurry a little.

0:24 - 0:26 - this lick needs more work because at this moment it didn't sound good.

0:49 - 0:51 - it doesn't sound flawless yet. A little polish, stronger accents and it will be great.

Manu, you don't have any reasons to feel frustrated. Your take shows progress and we all see this. Beside the fact that you already fixed a very important section (0:26 - 0:30), some accents sound much better and stronger than last time. That's an awesome thing! smile.gif
So, be sure that you did a good job today. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 25 2022, 05:06 AM
Some great advice from both Monica and Ken as always smile.gif

I have to say i do think you have "The Funk In You". I think everyone does. Being "in the pocket" is really just about feeling the groove. This is something that can be instinctual, but it doesn't have to be. It can be quite analytical as well. As you listen to a backing, such as the one from this lesson. As you listen, notice where the accents fall and where they don't. It's a more technical approach, but just as valid. It's one of the elements that go in to making the groove. How do the accents, and the spaces in between, line up to your pick strikes? if you play with the accents, or the snare, or any other element, you increase it's impact. if you play in a gap/empty space, you pull against the groove. if you let your timing sip just a bit ahead of an accent, you can create a sense of impact. if you play after a beat/accent, you create a sense of reducing speed or "dragging". This is just one element of one possible interpretation but I thought i'd try to explain it this way as I know you to be a very smart guy.

Rythm is funk and funk is rythm imho and you have a great sense of rythm. I think it's something worth exploring in your playing and I hope you do as well smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Manu RASSE @ Aug 24 2022, 02:11 PM) *
Hi klasaine

Yes I listen this kind of music.

However I take a pleasure

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Aug 25 2022, 06:01 AM
Veteran Tone Master
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 24 2022, 07:45 PM) *
Hi Manu!

You are right, the tone is not so cool. I liked your first tone more because it was a little much brighter. From my point of view, that tone fit better with the lesson.

You already pointed out about the part from 0:42. So I will skip this detail.

First, the very good thing. I really love the fact that you fixed the section from 0:26 - 0:30. That's the rhythm that we need there. smile.gif
Now to make this part shine, you need to bring a little more clearness and at 0:29 don't forget to put a stronger accent on these notes:
Attached Image

Let's point out some of the details that need more work.

As a general observation, you still have timing issues (I will mention some of the weakness parts). It's a hard lesson and this problem (timing) will be fixed in time. You just need to have patience and get more confidence in playing.

0:17 - 0:18 - try to play this part more clearly.

0:20 - 0:24 - I can not hear all the notes perfectly. Also take care of accents and timing. You hurry a little.

0:24 - 0:26 - this lick needs more work because at this moment it didn't sound good.

0:49 - 0:51 - it doesn't sound flawless yet. A little polish, stronger accents and it will be great.

Manu, you don't have any reasons to feel frustrated. Your take shows progress and we all see this. Beside the fact that you already fixed a very important section (0:26 - 0:30), some accents sound much better and stronger than last time. That's an awesome thing! smile.gif
So, be sure that you did a good job today. smile.gif

Hi Monica

Thank you for feedback.

I am aware of the weaknesses.
It is quite difficult because these things are very technical.
I sometimes feel like I’m running past the track and sometimes I feel a little more relaxed.

For the moment I like to play this lesson. I keep working, I will make a new point in 15 days.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 25 2022, 04:06 AM) *
Some great advice from both Monica and Ken as always smile.gif

I have to say i do think you have "The Funk In You". I think everyone does. Being "in the pocket" is really just about feeling the groove. This is something that can be instinctual, but it doesn't have to be. It can be quite analytical as well. As you listen to a backing, such as the one from this lesson. As you listen, notice where the accents fall and where they don't. It's a more technical approach, but just as valid. It's one of the elements that go in to making the groove. How do the accents, and the spaces in between, line up to your pick strikes? if you play with the accents, or the snare, or any other element, you increase it's impact. if you play in a gap/empty space, you pull against the groove. if you let your timing sip just a bit ahead of an accent, you can create a sense of impact. if you play after a beat/accent, you create a sense of reducing speed or "dragging". This is just one element of one possible interpretation but I thought i'd try to explain it this way as I know you to be a very smart guy.

Rythm is funk and funk is rythm imho and you have a great sense of rythm. I think it's something worth exploring in your playing and I hope you do as well smile.gif

Todd

Hi Sarge

Thank you for feedback smile.gif

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: Aug 26 2022, 06:42 AM

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Sep 4 2022, 04:38 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi there.

REC #3 with 12 additional days of work.
I changed the guitar, the telecaster is more pleasant to play because the adjustment of the neck is better.
I will have to drop the charvel guitar at the luthier because my setting is not great.

Diego, Monica, Sarge, Klasaine....I took your advice into account.
I hope it sounds a bit familiar. I have the impression that this one is more precise than the previous videos.

However it is still very hard on some passages.
What do you think about it ?

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: Sep 4 2022, 05:43 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 4 2022, 09:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Manu RASSE @ Sep 4 2022, 03:38 PM) *
Hi there.

REC #3 with 12 additional days of work.
I changed the guitar, the telecaster is more pleasant to play because the adjustment of the neck is better.
I will have to drop the charvel guitar at the luthier because my setting is not great.

Diego, Monica, Sarge, Klasaine....I took your advice into account.
I hope it sounds a bit familiar. I have the impression that this one is more precise than the previous videos.

However it is still very hard on some passages.
What do you think about it ?

Hi Manu,

Now, you are going in a very good direction. I can see huge improvements. You become more confident when you play this lesson and the timing is much better. Your overall performance has improved. smile.gif

I like how the accents sound on the telecaster. You had a good idea to use this guitar.

Now let's go into the details:

0:03; 0:11 - On these spots, try to play these notes more clearly. Some of them sound too weak. You need to make the separation between the normal notes and the "X" notes to sound very good.
Very beautiful accents in this part. See....these kind of accents I want to hear. You just showed us that you are able to play strong accents. That's really great, I love it. smile.gif

0:16 - 0:18 - It would be awesome if you would play these PM notes a little louder (like Diego).

0:18; 0:21, 0:23 - I can't hear these notes played (I highlighted them on the tab). Don't miss these notes. Your left hand goes on the correct fret (so you are aware that you must play that note) but your right hand doesn't pick the string.
Attached Image

0:24 -0:26 - This part sounds better than the last time, but it is not perfect yet. You need a little more work to make all the notes sound crystal clear.

0:27 -0:42 - Beautiful!!! You fixed this part. The accents are cool (add a stronger accent at 0:30) and the slides sounds really good and clear. One thing....try to accentuate the last slide (0:42)

0:42 - 0:43 - Here you have timing issues. When you start this part, you play the first note later than you should.
The problem comes because of the last movement made by your right hand when you play the last slide from the previous part.
When you go on the slide you pick correctly with a down movement, but after this stroke, you should immediately move your right hand back to be able to play the first note from the next part at the correct timing.
Your hand goes back too slowly (it's about a few milliseconds).
Think about this part in a different way. When you play the last notes from the slides, your right hand should already make the movement back. Imagine that the last notes from the slide should be played with an upstroke (of course, don't literally touch the strings with the pick). In this way, your hand will be back on time and ready for the next lick. I hope you understand what I want to say.
Compare your right hand movement with Diego's right hand movement and you will see where your hand wastes time.

I really want to congrats you for all the improvements that you made today. I'm sure you can fix all the things that I pointed out and, with your hard work, in a few weeks your take will shine.
Manu, I push you because I really want to help you to receive good grades in REC.
You just proved to me that you have the perfect skills and understanding to work at tiny details.

Keep up your amazing work! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Sep 4 2022, 09:41 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 4 2022, 09:59 PM
As Monica mentions - Huge improvement! Great work. It takes a long time to get this subtle stuff of rhythm guitar playing to sit well. IMO, it's way harder to do this kind of thing 'convincingly' than it is to play lead. *The only folks that would disagree with me are those that have never played rhythm guitar in a funk or R&B band.

Check out how Al McKay of Earth, Wind, and Fire articulates his muted notes.
I know the vid is not that clear (it's a dupe of a VHS tape from 40 years ago - 'Starlicks' Videos) but it is an absolute masterclass on how to play funky muted lines on the low strings.
There's nobody that does it better than him.

Something a bit more recent. Check out how aggressive his right hand (strumming hand) is ...

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Sep 5 2022, 08:52 AM
Veteran Tone Master
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 4 2022, 08:18 PM) *
Hi Manu,

Now, you are going in a very good direction. I can see huge improvements. You become more confident when you play this lesson and the timing is much better. Your overall performance has improved. smile.gif

I like how the accents sound on the telecaster. You had a good idea to use this guitar.

Now let's go into the details:

0:03; 0:11 - On these spots, try to play these notes more clearly. Some of them sound too weak. You need to make the separation between the normal notes and the "X" notes to sound very good.
Very beautiful accents in this part. See....these kind of accents I want to hear. You just showed us that you are able to play strong accents. That's really great, I love it. smile.gif

0:16 - 0:18 - It would be awesome if you would play these PM notes a little louder (like Diego).

0:18; 0:21, 0:23 - I can't hear these notes played (I highlighted them on the tab). Don't miss these notes. Your left hand goes on the correct fret (so you are aware that you must play that note) but your right hand doesn't pick the string.
Attached Image

0:24 -0:26 - This part sounds better than the last time, but it is not perfect yet. You need a little more work to make all the notes sound crystal clear.

0:27 -0:42 - Beautiful!!! You fixed this part. The accents are cool (add a stronger accent at 0:30) and the slides sounds really good and clear. One thing....try to accentuate the last slide (0:42)

0:42 - 0:43 - Here you have timing issues. When you start this part, you play the first note later than you should.
The problem comes because of the last movement made by your right hand when you play the last slide from the previous part.
When you go on the slide you pick correctly with a down movement, but after this stroke, you should immediately move your right hand back to be able to play the first note from the next part at the correct timing.
Your hand goes back too slowly (it's about a few milliseconds).
Think about this part in a different way. When you play the last notes from the slides, your right hand should already make the movement back. Imagine that the last notes from the slide should be played with an upstroke (of course, don't literally touch the strings with the pick). In this way, your hand will be back on time and ready for the next lick. I hope you understand what I want to say.
Compare your right hand movement with Diego's right hand movement and you will see where your hand wastes time.

I really want to congrats you for all the improvements that you made today. I'm sure you can fix all the things that I pointed out and, with your hard work, in a few weeks your take will shine.
Manu, I push you because I really want to help you to receive good grades in REC.
You just proved to me that you have the perfect skills and understanding to work at tiny details.

Keep up your amazing work! smile.gif

Hi Monica
Thank you for your feedback
Don’t worry, I understand your point of view and it’s positive for me.
I will continue with this one a bit, but I admit that it will be very difficult to get better.

I worked on this lesson from early February until April. Then my arm problems came back and I had to stop.
For a few weeks I am better, but I can not play very long because the pain comes back.
It’s hard to make progress in these conditions.

I love funky music, it has always been a great motivation, but this piece is incredibly technical.
Diego is not just any guitarist... He is a genius, a god in my eyes....

I am aware of my abilities and I promise to try to improve the few points you mentioned and to give the best of me on the REC Finale.
have a nice day.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 4 2022, 08:59 PM) *
As Monica mentions - Huge improvement! Great work. It takes a long time to get this subtle stuff of rhythm guitar playing to sit well. IMO, it's way harder to do this kind of thing 'convincingly' than it is to play lead. *The only folks that would disagree with me are those that have never played rhythm guitar in a funk or R&B band.

Check out how Al McKay of Earth, Wind, and Fire articulates his muted notes.
I know the vid is not that clear (it's a dupe of a VHS tape from 40 years ago - 'Starlicks' Videos) but it is an absolute masterclass on how to play funky muted lines on the low strings.
There's nobody that does it better than him.

Something a bit more recent. Check out how aggressive his right hand (strumming hand) is ...

Hi Klasaine

Earth, Wind, and Fire ..... Great !
Actually I'm training to play" Le Freak" by CHIC.
I think it's a good exercice for me.

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: Sep 5 2022, 08:57 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 5 2022, 05:59 PM
QUOTE (Manu RASSE @ Sep 5 2022, 12:52 AM) *
Actually I'm training to play" Le Freak" by CHIC.
I think it's a good exercice for me.

Perfect choice! Nile Rodgers is another one of those guys with an amazing right hand.
Have you seen his master class videos?
At 14:00 he demonstrates 'Le Freak'.
Most guitarists play this incorrectly.

The entire video is incredible.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:33 PM