> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ronaldo's Road To Rhythm
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2012, 09:27 PM
Instructor
Hey there Ronaldo! This is your thread! Once again, thanks for choosing me smile.gif

Now, I wanted to ask you if you have any recordings of yourself so far? It would help me hearing what you sound like in this moment smile.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 3 2012, 12:28 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 2 2012, 08:27 PM) *
Hey there Ronaldo! This is your thread! Once again, thanks for choosing me smile.gif

Now, I wanted to ask you if you have any recordings of yourself so far? It would help me hearing what you sound like in this moment smile.gif

Cosmin

yeah, there are two little recordings I did (I am planning to do another one playing Alex's 15 blues licks during the next neek, which is the assignment he gave me) for Alex in his mentoring thread for me that can be accessed here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=45126

About myself (I don't know whether I have already told that too you or not, so forgive me if I am repeating myself):

playing guitar for around five months now, I am studying the basic open chords, music theory (I know some amount of theory), studying the minor pentatonic scale, minor blues scale, major scale..

my interests are fusion, jazz, rock, blues, pop, metal, a little bit of flamenco and classic, a little bit of eletronic music, gospel music, blues rock, and I like allan holdsworth, van halen, andy timmons, luis maldonalle, john mclaughlin, richie kotzen, greg howe, frank gambale, terje rypdal, pat petheney, steve morse, brett garsed, steve stevens, and a lot of other great guitar players...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 3 2012, 07:34 AM
Instructor
Hey Ronaldo,

yes, you did tell me all of these in the PMs we have been exchanging, but it's not bad that we also have them here smile.gif

Mate, I have watched your vids and you have done good stuff with Alex! I wanted to point out a very important aspect in your playing - your right hand and the way you are holding it. In the first video with that alternate picking exercise, you are holding your picking hand suspended, like you would be playing in the classical posture.

You should hold your hand lightly against the bridge and pick from your wrist. When playing riffs, this position is also recommended and when you strum you need to work from your wrist but with the arm in the air, relaxed.

For example - check out this lesson here - it shows you both approaches: Strumming for more loose rhythms and keeping your hand attached to the bridge for riff style rhythm playing:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funk-Metal-Riff/

What do you think?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 4 2012, 04:11 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 3 2012, 06:34 AM) *
Hey Ronaldo,

yes, you did tell me all of these in the PMs we have been exchanging, but it's not bad that we also have them here smile.gif

Mate, I have watched your vids and you have done good stuff with Alex! I wanted to point out a very important aspect in your playing - your right hand and the way you are holding it. In the first video with that alternate picking exercise, you are holding your picking hand suspended, like you would be playing in the classical posture.

You should hold your hand lightly against the bridge and pick from your wrist. When playing riffs, this position is also recommended and when you strum you need to work from your wrist but with the arm in the air, relaxed.

For example - check out this lesson here - it shows you both approaches: Strumming for more loose rhythms and keeping your hand attached to the bridge for riff style rhythm playing:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funk-Metal-Riff/

What do you think?

Cosmin

Hi, Cosmin

Man, today I had a very very busy and exhausting day and I ran over to my home after I finished the last errands so that I could see whether you or Alex had posted something for me to work on, lol... biggrin.gif

It's good to be able to study and grow (althoug I have a limited amount of time to do so)

I understand what you said. In fact, I've read the thread and I was trying just to do like you instructed me, a few minutes ago and I noticed I need time to do the adjustments correctly, Cosmin.

Playing like that, althoug providinh more confort to my right hand, has caused some problems with the coordination between both hands and loss of speed and strength, for now. I'll keep on working on it.

Do you want me to do anything else regarding that? record myself or another thing? I saw the lesson you posted here and it is amazing, man! really. I like nuno bettencourt too, although there has been quite some time since the last time I heard him play. But, the level of that lesson is way above my current skills for now... sad.gif , sadly, because the funky rhythms really have sort of an appeal on me (richie kotzen has a history of using some funky riffs often, although in a little different fasion than nuno, because they have different aproaches to playing)

I am ready to begin. just let me know what you need from me

Oh, and by the way, nice melody you did on the "the voice of your guitar" (sorry if the name is wrong) lesson... very nice indeed

All the best.

R

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 4 2012, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Hey Ronaldo! Thanks for the kind thoughts mate! I am a huge Richie Kotzen and Nuno fan myself and I have borrowed stuff from them over the years just to incorporate it in my own playing wink.gif

Don't worry, I was showing that lesson to you, because it showcased the right hand position in a floating stance - suitable for strumming wink.gif

Now, I would like you to have a go at this lesson and focus on the right hand - correct position, timing and sync, ok? What do you think?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

Please try and record a bit so that I may take a look at your right hand position, before starting to work on the whole lesson!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 4 2012, 11:14 PM
Deal. I'll start today and will send you the recording as soon as I can. And then you can correct me so that I can complete the whole lesson.

R.
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 5 2012, 02:28 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 4 2012, 02:18 PM) *
Hey Ronaldo! Thanks for the kind thoughts mate! I am a huge Richie Kotzen and Nuno fan myself and I have borrowed stuff from them over the years just to incorporate it in my own playing wink.gif

Don't worry, I was showing that lesson to you, because it showcased the right hand position in a floating stance - suitable for strumming wink.gif

Now, I would like you to have a go at this lesson and focus on the right hand - correct position, timing and sync, ok? What do you think?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

Please try and record a bit so that I may take a look at your right hand position, before starting to work on the whole lesson!

Cosmin

Hey, Costin

There you have it, the first part of the exercise. I recorded myself and I am sending the video to you. I had to play without pluging my quitar since it's late here and I could disturb the other people who lives here too. To try and compensate that, I tried to attack the strings harder with the pick, although it has produced a little weird and metalic sound... In doing this I tried to rest the back of my right hand gently on the top of the lower strings... what do you think?

best regards

R.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2012, 08:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Sep 5 2012, 01:28 AM) *
Hey, Costin

There you have it, the first part of the exercise. I recorded myself and I am sending the video to you. I had to play without pluging my quitar since it's late here and I could disturb the other people who lives here too. To try and compensate that, I tried to attack the strings harder with the pick, although it has produced a little weird and metalic sound... In doing this I tried to rest the back of my right hand gently on the top of the lower strings... what do you think?

best regards

R.

Good morning man! biggrin.gif

This looks good! Now, work on the following elements:

- minimizing the picking movement - the less you move, the faster you'll play and watch out on picking only from the wrist and not make any unnecessary movements, ok?
- timing - you were offbeat in a lot of spots so practice slower to be dead on with the timing - you can tap your foot to the ground to develop your internal metronome - this helps A LOT!

Now, having these things in mind, let's proceed to tackling the whole lesson - what do you think?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 5 2012, 05:25 PM
Good morning to you too, biggrin.gif

Sounds good to me, really good, those spots you covered... Nice!

Thanx for the guidance and correction, dude.
You want me to start practicing the correction you have pointed out and then trying the whole lesson and only then send the video to you again... Is that it? I'm gonna need some time to do it coz, as I was telling Alex (geeweez, lol, I am still struggling to learn all that 15 blues licks set and record myself to send him the video, lol),
tomorrow I am going to travel to my parents house since it is my dad's birthday and I dont know whether I will be able to bring my guitar along or not... Sure hope so, though.... sad.gif

Any other thing you want me to do or study?

Thanx.

Blessings,

R.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2012, 11:04 AM
Instructor
Hello Ronaldo,

for the given moment, since you already have Alex's task at hand and this one, I say focus on them! It's not good to divide your focus power too much at this point.

As for the approach - apply the corrections on the piece you have sent, send the new recording my way and then if everything is set, you an start tackling the whole piece smile.gif

Deal?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 12 2012, 03:40 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 6 2012, 10:04 AM) *
Hello Ronaldo,

for the given moment, since you already have Alex's task at hand and this one, I say focus on them! It's not good to divide your focus power too much at this point.

As for the approach - apply the corrections on the piece you have sent, send the new recording my way and then if everything is set, you an start tackling the whole piece smile.gif

Deal?

Cosmin

After doing some practice, I tried it again... I have recorded the video, but i am not still satisfied with the result, Cosmin... What do you think?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2012, 08:54 AM
Instructor
Hey Ronaldooo smile.gif

This is way better! You are consistent in your picking and the timing is good! Please record the whole lesson at this tempo and at this playing quality smile.gif Send me the recording and we'll take it from there. Your right hand looks great in action now!

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 14 2012, 03:45 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 13 2012, 07:54 AM) *
Hey Ronaldooo smile.gif

This is way better! You are consistent in your picking and the timing is good! Please record the whole lesson at this tempo and at this playing quality smile.gif Send me the recording and we'll take it from there. Your right hand looks great in action now!

thanx, sir!!! biggrin.gif

That's good to hear. Will do that. Just gime some time. I broke my high E string while doing some bends from Alex 15 blues licks lesson, lol... After I replace the string I'll record myself doing the whole lesson.

See ya

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 14 2012, 06:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (RLEMES @ Sep 14 2012, 02:45 AM) *
thanx, sir!!! biggrin.gif

That's good to hear. Will do that. Just gime some time. I broke my high E string while doing some bends from Alex 15 blues licks lesson, lol... After I replace the string I'll record myself doing the whole lesson.

See ya

Ohhh, you are a serious bender, eh? biggrin.gif

Well, sure man, take your time!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 15 2012, 03:26 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 14 2012, 05:49 PM) *
Ohhh, you are a serious bender, eh? biggrin.gif

Well, sure man, take your time!

Cosmin

hahahahahaha, not so serious, I might argue.... lol lol

Sometimes I just laugh at my (temporary) disabillity to play certain things...

And sometimes I get frustrated for not being able (yet) to do those things that my mind and heart want to do, or to let the music I have inside me get out and come to life...

I know I am a beginer, but the thing is, I have listened to music for so long and have thus setted so much high expectations to myself in regards of my playing that it is a bit hard not to feel stupid making silly mistakes sometimes, you know?

going back to the bending technique, I am having a little problem with it, actually, because the next string above always seems to get in the way and thus making me to spend a lot more effort on doing the bend... i mean, when I bend the high E string, for instance, the B and G strings got in the way and I have to bend all three of them.... Is it me doing some awkward and terribly wrong technique, or is it normal, Cosmin? Could it be the case of me having to use my first finger to keep the other strings from getting in the way?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 15 2012, 08:49 AM
Instructor
Hey man! biggrin.gif

Well, bending is a very interesting technique smile.gif It is actually the most personal one alongside vibrato wink.gif

Check this out:

I have isolated a few notes and used bending and vibrato on them in slow-motion wink.gif

Ronaldo, don't sweat it man! Give yourself time! Your body and mind need to harmonize and at this point, time and practice will get ya there smile.gif

Let me know what you think about the bends - if you position your fingers like in this vid, you will NEVER have trouble bending ever again wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 18 2012, 04:17 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 15 2012, 07:49 AM) *
Hey man! biggrin.gif

Well, bending is a very interesting technique smile.gif It is actually the most personal one alongside vibrato wink.gif

Check this out:

I have isolated a few notes and used bending and vibrato on them in slow-motion wink.gif

Ronaldo, don't sweat it man! Give yourself time! Your body and mind need to harmonize and at this point, time and practice will get ya there smile.gif

Let me know what you think about the bends - if you position your fingers like in this vid, you will NEVER have trouble bending ever again wink.gif

Cosmin

Nice!!! Amazing execution, Cosmin! Really does the trick! cool.gif

I have heard people say a lot of things about bend and vibrato. One of them is that is better to use the first three fingers to do bends, but, in your video, you use the second and third fingers to bend and the first to mute the higher strings, right? your technique there is right on the spot but I don't have enough strength to be able to produce a bend using only two fingers.

please watch this little video I did for Alex and see that I need a lot of improvement on bending....

also, someone once told that its better if one would use again all three fingers to do a vibrato, but you are doing an extremely nice and pleasant vibrato using only the first finger... gee, what should I do? how can I do that and is there a difference between one finger vibrato and three fingers vibrato?

I am kind confused here, mate....

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 18 2012, 09:55 AM
Instructor
Thank you Ronaldo!

Well, I am using just two fingers because the index keeps the unwanted strings from making any noise, while when doing vibrato, I tend to use various combinations between the fingers in respect to the context in which I am in.

The one finger vibrato, requires more control, as you have to avoid hitting other strings man, but anyway, I see that you are on the good way, but try to hit the correct pitches of the bended notes. Don't worry, bending gets better with time, if you practice it correctly. I invite you to join my v-chat session this Thursday at 8 PM London time, as we shall be debating this EXACT topic wink.gif

Cheerios!

Cosmin

PS: How's the right hand coming along? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RLEMES
Sep 21 2012, 03:13 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 18 2012, 08:55 AM) *
Thank you Ronaldo!

Well, I am using just two fingers because the index keeps the unwanted strings from making any noise, while when doing vibrato, I tend to use various combinations between the fingers in respect to the context in which I am in.

The one finger vibrato, requires more control, as you have to avoid hitting other strings man, but anyway, I see that you are on the good way, but try to hit the correct pitches of the bended notes. Don't worry, bending gets better with time, if you practice it correctly. I invite you to join my v-chat session this Thursday at 8 PM London time, as we shall be debating this EXACT topic wink.gif

Cheerios!

Cosmin

I see your point. I am trying to use the first finger to mute the strings and you are absolutely right. I just need to develop more strength.

About the chat sessions, normally, when you guys do the sessions I am at my job so no joy for me... sad.gif

Anyway, I'll do whatever you see fit for me to develop my vibrato....
thanx for the tips on the pitches

the right hand is starting to show some progress, thanx a lot for that

in Ben's lesson I am having a little bit of trouble with the 16th notes on the 5 th step, but I think I just need more practice. I am trying each step separately and when I am able to perform them decently I'll record myself again to show you the progress, deal?

blessings man

R.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 18 2012, 08:55 AM) *
Thank you Ronaldo!

Cheerios!

Cosmin

Oh, and one more thing, Cosmin..

I have sent a PM to you with a question regarding Mozart Rock but the first time I tried to send it the system gave me an error and then I tried again but I am not sure you have received that PM. Could you confirm to me whether you have it or not?

thanx a lot, dude.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 21 2012, 07:42 AM
Instructor
Hey Ronaldo! I received and sent you some stuff about Mozart Rocks in the PM and regarding the recording - take your time brother, no one is hurrying you smile.gif Once you get a lesson right and record it as close to perfection as possible, no one will be able to take that brick from your 'building of guitar skill'!

Cosmin

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:50 PM