2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Dream Theater Album Is Out! Get Your Downloads On!
Marc_Maiden
Jun 25 2009, 01:41 AM
GMC:er
i got mine from amazon mp3 store....i like it a lot... will post back after i hear the CD

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coloneldrew
Jun 25 2009, 01:52 AM
Anybody heard this album yet? I had mine pre-ordered.

IMPO, I don't really like the direction they went in. James (vocalist) has had a large downfall in the range of his voice due to the food poisoning he got in 2007, and this album greatly reflects his difficulty in hitting high notes.

If there's any song you should listen to first, its "The Count of Tuscanny". That's just EPIC. Everything else is mediocre at best. Don't be expecting a "Train of Thought" or "Octavarium" feeling from this one. And this is coming from a VERY BIG Dream Theater fan.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by coloneldrew: Jun 25 2009, 01:53 AM

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 25 2009, 02:04 AM
i did like a nightmare to remember..but i see what you are saying...and you are right...i guess i had too high hopes..like album of the year high hopes sad.gif

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 25 2009, 04:56 AM
Yeah, its a decent album. I don't like most Dream Theater album past Awake, but this one is listenable for me. I still don't like the single for this album though.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 25 2009, 03:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
I haven't heard it yet, but being the Dream Theater fan that I am, I will probably buy it sooner or later. I do however not have any high hopes for this (as with the last handful of albums). I am more of an '86-'93 Dream theater kinda guy. Though Rudess is more skilled, and creates some beautiful piano-only songs (Secrets of the Muse), I'd take Kevin Moore any day.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 25 2009, 07:31 PM
yeah after listening to the album, i was kinda hoping for a concept album...i love the stories the past albums told..although the shattered fortress KICKS BUTT

so far the 2 favorite songs are a nightmare to remember and shattered fortress...but we will see as i listen on and study what the CD has to offer

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jun 25 2009, 11:31 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
As the diehard fan I am, I bought the deluxe-collectors edition before even listening to the record. I agree that it`s not their best, but there are certainly come tunes which kicks some serious ass! Love A Nightmare To Remember biggrin.gif
Gonna se them with Opeth and some more at Progressive Nation in October, cant wait smile.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
berko
Jun 25 2009, 11:40 PM
I really don't like this album, although I'm also a huge fan of DT. I understand that Shattered Fortress is the last step of Portnoy's Suit about his alcoholism but I expected a more elegant finale, not just rewinding the same riffs of glass prison and this dying soul. Withered is too cheesy for my taste. Btw all lyrics are a bit silly and too cheesy but lyrics never have been DT's priority. Count of Tuscany and The Best of Times, however, are great, and I also like how a real progressive interlude is embedded into Rite of passage (a song otherwise far too melodramatic).

This post has been edited by berko: Jun 25 2009, 11:41 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Kapto
Jun 26 2009, 08:39 AM
After listening to the album I must say that I do not dislike any of the tracks. I love the album I am a DT fan since Change of seasons came out in 1995 and the albums I hardly listen maybe not at all are Awake and Train of thoughts except from some tracks. For some fans are the best. That's a good thing about them. Some people are keen on different albums and not at all on others.
All I can say is that it has been playing on my Ipod for the past 2 weeks non stop.

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
Ivan Mihaljevic
Jun 26 2009, 09:38 AM
Great album, I'll see them live on Wednesday in Budapest smile.gif

QUOTE (coloneldrew @ Jun 25 2009, 02:52 AM) *
IMPO, I don't really like the direction they went in. James (vocalist) has had a large downfall in the range of his voice due to the food poisoning he got in 2007, and this album greatly reflects his difficulty in hitting high notes.

James' range is falling for years now. As far as I know the food poisoning incident happened after the Awake tour somewhere in 1996 or so... On studio albums, he's still OK, but live he's struggling really hard with all the high notes and you can hear it in his voice. And with each tour, it just gets worse...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Visit my website - www.ivanmihaljevic.com
my MySpace - www.myspace.com/ivanmihaljevic
And if you want to buy my CD - www.cdbaby.com/cd/ivanmihaljevic

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 26 2009, 11:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Mihaljevic @ Jun 26 2009, 10:38 AM) *
On studio albums, he's still OK, but live he's struggling really hard with all the high notes and you can hear it in his voice. And with each tour, it just gets worse...

Not just range but diction as well,
in concerts you can pretty much hear only A, E, I, O and U on high notes,
and it was like that from very beginning.
Sorry for off topic guys! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Mihaljevic
Jun 26 2009, 12:30 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 26 2009, 12:19 PM) *
Not just range but diction as well,
in concerts you can pretty much hear only A, E, I, O and U on high notes,
and it was like that from very beginning.
Sorry for off topic guys! smile.gif

You mean just A, E and O. There's no I and U. Those are hard to sing high, so he substitutes them! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Mihaljevic: Jun 26 2009, 12:31 PM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Visit my website - www.ivanmihaljevic.com
my MySpace - www.myspace.com/ivanmihaljevic
And if you want to buy my CD - www.cdbaby.com/cd/ivanmihaljevic

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 26 2009, 01:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Ivan Mihaljevic @ Jun 26 2009, 01:30 PM) *
There's no I and U.

There's no I and you? Hey guys, please, stay friends. Hug and make up laugh.gif

On topic. I didn't get the album today as I had planned. Was in the shop and started to debate on wether to get the 3 CD instead and in that particular shop it was more expensive. No hurry though biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 27 2009, 10:04 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
The Count Of Tuscany......

Thats all you need to know cool.gif

I love the album, Only had it for a short time though, Haven't examined the songs as thoroughly as others, or really compared to previous albums. Still, I think its an awesome album

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 30 2009, 12:29 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I'm not a big fan but thanks for info about the album...I'll try to hear it...I did catch a little of download festival performance and I was disappointed a little on the vocal performance...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 30 2009, 01:43 AM
Instructor
I'm not a fan of the band, but since it's a new album it's important to see what they did this time. I'll listen it and if I like it cool, if not, plenty of music to choose from. Thanks for the recommendation! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 30 2009, 12:14 PM
Instructor
I've had it on loop constantly lately.. at first i didnt like it at all, but the more i understand the songs the more i like it.
I think it's brilliant now!

One thing i just simply cant comprehend though is the absolutely silly lyrics on Count of Tuscany.. i rarely pay attention to lyrics, but there were something odd about that one smile.gif
But music-wise it's one of the best songs they've done in years.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Jun 30 2009, 12:15 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Jun 30 2009, 04:05 PM
Instructor
when I first heard Dream Theater in 94, I was blown away, my favorite albums are Images and Words, Awake and Scenes from a Memory, the others are OK, but with every new album after that it seems to be going downhill.

I have still bought every single Dream Theater album that has come out, on the last 3 I only like 2-3 songs from each and the rest are OK.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jun 30 2009, 10:47 PM
Just heard the album. Mmmm........... I was expecting some more like Images and Words. It's not a bad album at all, the sound is amazing. But, I think they are repeating the same formule since Train Of Thought. But anyway, not bad, but I expected another thing

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jul 1 2009, 04:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
I really need to start listening to Dream Theater ! biggrin.gif Being an Iron Maiden fan, they should probably be to my liking biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:41 PM