Video/audio Sync, what do you use for video recording?
Wyverex
Oct 10 2016, 03:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Each time I want to record with video I have to follow quite an involved process and even then the end result is usually not completely in sync. So I was wondering how you guys do it and if you have any (free or reasonably priced) solutions to improve my situation.

Basically, when I record I do this:

- Set up recording in Cubase
- Start recording my webcam via Windows Movie Maker rolleyes.gif
- (Alt+Tab dance every time I want to restart the take)
- Save video as mp4
- Import video in Cubase
- Manually move the audio tracks around until video and audio look in sync
- Select video, hit 'P' to select the whole length, export audio track
- "Replace audio in video file" from Cubase menu
- Use freeware "Shotcut" software to cut unwanted beginning and ending of video
- Encode as mp4 again to store

The audio replacement function in Cubase doesn't seem to work reliably. Sometimes, even if audio was in sync in the preview, after replacing the audio, it's not in sync in anymore. I tried keeping a separate audio track and cut both in Movie Maker but you can only cut the original video track and not an added audio track. Basically I haven't found a tool yet that can reliably (and easily) cut and edit videos (fading, text, maybe some overlays) and make it possible to sync audio at the same time.

What do you use? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Oct 11 2016, 05:50 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Yeah, that's a bit convoluted. You'd definitely be better off exporting the audio from cubase, then importing it into your video app. Striking a staccato chord can serve as a "clapper" you can use to help with lining up the audio. And, it's probably easier to just let the video roll while recording takes. But if MovieMaker doesn't allow cropping the audio, then it's probably time to consider Premiere (or Final Cut on OSX). That can also help you automatically sync your audio and video after you do the audio import.

Todd's the expert on this subject, so I'm sure he'll have some ideas.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rammikin: Oct 11 2016, 05:51 PM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 11 2016, 05:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have a similar issue, Movie Maker is the weak link I think. I'm just not willing to pay much to upgrade. I'd love to know if there was a budget video editor that did just the basics well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2016, 09:21 AM
GMC:er
Yup. Movie Maker is just a pinch crap but the price is right so sometimes it's the best option smile.gif However, you can download ADOBE PREMIERE for free!!! And use it for a month for free as well!!! It's an honest to goodness Video Editing Program smile.gif The good news is that if you like it, you can subscribe to it for $20 a month which isn't bad considering it used to cost nearly a grand!!!

https://creative.adobe.com/products/downloa...KN&mv=other

The way movie folks typically "synch up" is with a clapper.
Attached Image

basically, clap your hands or anything really, and it gives a visual cue, and in your video program you will see a spike in the audio wave form. You line those two up and BAM you are "Synched smile.gif

That's one way.

I usually do it the "Easy way" which is to say, I have my camera connected directly to my computer via firewire and I set my audio interface as the audio input, and the camera as the video input and just hit record in QUICKTIME. Everything is automatically synched up as I record and it's ready to edit. I'm on a Mac, but there is a Logitech app that does much the same thing on windows, which I'm sure one of our Logitech Windows users will share smile.gif

I've found that having it setup to have everything ready to roll, really makes things a LOT easier. When inspiration strikes, it's soooooooo lame to have to FIGHT the technology IMHO smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Oct 12 2016, 10:23 AM
I'm already hitting the strings four times at the beginning of each video to make synchronization easier. It's just that the whole process using different tools is becoming very tedious.

I'll look into Premiere though. Maybe it's time to invest some money if it considerably eases the whole workflow. There's also an "Elements" version which is a scaled down Pro version and might be everything I need.

So far I haven't been able to record from my audio interface with the Logitech capturing software but I just found an interesting Youtube video with a hackfix that might work.

I'll keep you posted smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 12 2016, 12:20 PM
When you import your video into movie maker don't you get the audio wave form at the bottom? I do a strum which gives a spike. I import the video then add audio, line up the spikes, switch off video sound and it's done. I can do it in a couple of minutes now.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2016, 12:29 PM
Of course, the QUICKTIME utility is cross platform and should work on PC as well as Mac smile.gif In theory at least! You can tell quicktime to get video from one place and audio from another, it then puts the audio and video together for ya which can be very handy smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Wyverex @ Oct 12 2016, 05:23 AM) *
I'm already hitting the strings four times at the beginning of each video to make synchronization easier. It's just that the whole process using different tools is becoming very tedious.

I'll look into Premiere though. Maybe it's time to invest some money if it considerably eases the whole workflow. There's also an "Elements" version which is a scaled down Pro version and might be everything I need.

So far I haven't been able to record from my audio interface with the Logitech capturing software but I just found an interesting Youtube video with a hackfix that might work.

I'll keep you posted smile.gif

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 19 2016, 01:19 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 12 2016, 04:21 AM) *
I've found that having it setup to have everything ready to roll, really makes things a LOT easier. When inspiration strikes, it's soooooooo lame to have to FIGHT the technology IMHO smile.gif

This post inspired me to re-evaluate how I was doing my recordings. First, my wife has a DSLR she never uses and it was just collecting dust. I wanted to use it for my video recording, but wanted the one click convenience of a webcam. So... I found Canon EOS Utility which allows for remote shooting and is fully controllable by a PC app. I ordered a DC power supply and clamp mount for the camera and hooked it up via USB. The only think left to do was mount it, so I built a simple tension rod using some electrical conduit. The whole thing is pretty easy now and the quality is amazing!

Second, I did a lot of research on video editors for Windows. I used to use iMovie, but Windows Movie Maker stinks. I looked at Adobe Premier Elements $99, Avidemux (free) and MovAvi Video Editor. In the end I bought MovAvi for $29, which is a very reasonable price. It's very slick and has all the great features I missed from iMovie.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 20 2016, 10:12 AM
Mucho congrats! That is a fine setup! Was that metal bar there or did you install it? It makes a killer way to mound your camera? Also, mucho congrats on getting s DSLR to shoot with and a way to connect directly and capture direct to computer!!!! Not to mention finding a better video editor.

I'm glad to see that my post had an impact smile.gif That is a very fine setup there and you can leave it setup and read to go!!!! Nice smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 18 2016, 08:19 PM) *
This post inspired me to re-evaluate how I was doing my recordings. First, my wife has a DSLR she never uses and it was just collecting dust. I wanted to use it for my video recording, but wanted the one click convenience of a webcam. So... I found Canon EOS Utility which allows for remote shooting and is fully controllable by a PC app. I ordered a DC power supply and clamp mount for the camera and hooked it up via USB. The only think left to do was mount it, so I built a simple tension rod using some electrical conduit. The whole thing is pretty easy now and the quality is amazing!

Second, I did a lot of research on video editors for Windows. I used to use iMovie, but Windows Movie Maker stinks. I looked at Adobe Premier Elements $99, Avidemux (free) and MovAvi Video Editor. In the end I bought MovAvi for $29, which is a very reasonable price. It's very slick and has all the great features I missed from iMovie.

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 20 2016, 01:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
No, the metal bar wasn't there, I had to build it. It is an electrical conduit pipe from Home Depot with threaded furniture leveling feet screwed into the ends. It makes an adjustable tension rod kinda like a shower rod. I would've just used one of those but they weren't long or sturdy enough. I'm very pleased with the setup, it didn't cost much at all and the results are MUCH improved.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:20 PM