2 Pages V  < 1 2  
4'33''
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 23 2009, 08:41 PM
GMC Founder
I think the idea is brilliant and a success - how many other orchestral youtube videos have made their way to GMC?! biggrin.gif There's got to be something special with this one.

PS There was something wrong with the sound!? tongue.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Canis
Mar 23 2009, 08:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
That.... was.... AWESOME!!!!! laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 23 2009, 09:11 PM
Instructor
wow... they all are exellents musicians, whatta a demo of virtuosity!!! hahaha, no no no just kidding... biggrin.gif
this show us how many ways exist to create art. wink.gif

+Quote Post
sigma7
Mar 23 2009, 09:17 PM
GMC:er
haha wut the fudge

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 23 2009, 11:43 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
what a crazy idea !!! smile.gif And audience loved it smile.gif ehhehehe I guess they are bored with the annoying sound of violins smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Mar 24 2009, 12:10 AM
haha if i was there after a couple minutes id shout out, WTF?!

This post has been edited by g-forcelover: Mar 24 2009, 12:11 AM

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 24 2009, 02:31 AM
Instructor
That was brutal !

I talked about this with my friend in Boston 4-5 years ago. We had idea to make album and call it Silence or something, and have different tracks with different types of silence and noises from nature laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 24 2009, 03:20 AM
Instructor
I've seen this, it's a world famous piece. There is DVD of this and they sold some crazy amount of copies.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Roadside
Mar 24 2009, 02:11 PM
Wierd. I wouldn´t call it art, but there would have been enough space for a short sleep smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 27 2009, 06:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 23 2009, 06:37 PM) *
Some of the interesting aspects of 4'33' is that it considers a number of issues. First the difference between music and silence - and that there is no absolute silence. If you listen to the work there are sounds, the audience moving about, environmental noise, etc. Second, in relation to this it explores the dialectic between music as intentional sound and unintentional sounds. With unintentional sounds it relates further to randomness and chance wrt music. There is always unintentional sound in music - what 4' 33'' does is bring them to the forefront by deliberately eclipsing the intentional sounds that we commonly think of as 'the music'.

All of these issues - and many others beside - help construct John Cage's philosophical view of life and music. As Ramiro says he was both a brilliant composer and extremely intelligent. 4' 33' asks some very profound questions about the nature of music smile.gif .

Wow mate, you've surprised me. I didn't know that you were into this part of music.

You've just explained what I didn't want to because Cage is a musician that many people don't understand and laught at it even knowing some of his thoughts.

I recommend the film that Peter Greenaway did about John Cage. He also did (Greenaway) three more films about other composers (Philip Glass, Meredith Monk and one more that I don't remember the name just now).

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 27 2009, 06:24 PM
Instructor
There was a fly in my room so I couldn't enjoy enough sad.gif mellow.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 27 2009, 06:28 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 27 2009, 07:24 PM) *
There was a fly in my room so I couldn't enjoy enough sad.gif mellow.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif Fly created additional atmosphere i guess biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 27 2009, 06:29 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Mar 27 2009, 06:05 PM) *
Wow mate, you've surprised me. I didn't know that you were into this part of music.

You've just explained what I didn't want to because Cage is a musician that many people don't understand and laught at it even knowing some of his thoughts.

I recommend the film that Peter Greenaway did about John Cage. He also did (Greenaway) three more films about other composers (Philip Glass, Meredith Monk and one more that I don't remember the name just now).

Thanks Ramiro I try my best to be surprising at times biggrin.gif .

But yes I've liked Cage - and a lot of modern 20th C classical and 'avant garde' for some time. I have a friend, Marcel, who did his PhD on deconstruction in music that included quite a bit on Cage. More was on Derrida then Cage though and it moves in to philosophy which is more my theoretical end. Anyway his website is here if it interests you smile.gif. Last time I saw Marcel was in Barcelona where we were theorising about silence and Cage and Pat Metheny came up in the conversation quite a few times...

I think some people are bemused by Cage as i) his reputation precedes him and ii) people think within a certain border and what challenges it can be too unsettling and iii) they take things out of context and/or use a limited amount of his ouevre to reach a conclusion about the man and his works.

I've only ever seen the Meredith Monk film btw though looking on the net the fourth composer is Robert Ashley here. Thanks for reminding me of this - I'll have to look the others up smile.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 27 2009, 06:34 PM
Instructor
Thanx for the site!
I've bookmarked it biggrin.gif

Right, the fourth was Ashley, now I remember

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Mar 27 2009, 07:39 PM
QUOTE (sted @ Mar 23 2009, 07:18 PM) *
Just goes to show that utter nonsense is not the sole preserve of the proletariat.

what next, bottled air?

(Cue enormous amounts of links to bottled air for sale sites laugh.gif )

Already exists.....

Link to website : http://www.treedroppings.com/air.php

This post has been edited by djohnneay: Mar 27 2009, 07:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemus
Mar 27 2009, 10:10 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (Tolek @ Mar 23 2009, 06:10 PM) *
I just made a video response. laugh.gif

It´s basically the same for me. smile.gif But thanks to tonymiro´s explanation why this piece was "written". biggrin.gif

Killer tone! laugh.gif

Well, again I think this thread demonstrates what Cage was after, a little bit of controversy. There's quite a debate behind this piece but I agree that the original piano composition when performed for the first time cannot be recaptured.
Let's not forget that everyone in the audience paid to see that and will probably have known about 4'33'' in advance. I wouldn't be someone that would paid for this but I can appreciate it and Cage's vision.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:08 AM