> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Tom51's Practice Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 2 2015, 02:40 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for these new videos!

Rhythm: Great to see this one evolving! I note an improvement in your groove and also in the trickier chord changes. Both things still have room to practice. I still note that you need to relax a bit more your body while you play the rhythm, and let it go with the groove. This will make it sound smoother, and will decrease the moments in which you tend to go before the beat. About that chord change that we've talked about before, please dedicate some more time to work on it as an isolated exercise.

Bending: Unfortunately this lesson has many pitch problems. Your bending is not reaching the correct pitch in most of the cases so this means that you are not paying attention to it, or maybe you are not hearing it. What's exactly the reason? Do you hear the issues while you play the lesson? Do you hear them when you watch this video? Please let me know what you think is the reason and we'll work on this.

Alternate Picking: This one is on the right track. You need to continue practicing to keep it sounding tight during the whole lesson, and also start to pay attention to dynamics. Check out the original lesson, and see how Bear picks stronger, and also how he accentuates the first of each group of two 8th notes.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Feb 2 2015, 02:50 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 2 2015, 03:02 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 2 2015, 01:40 PM) *
Hi mate! Thanks for these new videos!

Rhythm: Great to see this one evolving! I note an improvement in your groove and also in the trickier chord changes. Both things still have room to practice. I still note that you need to relax a bit more your body while you play the rhythm, and let it go with the groove. This will make it sound smoother, and will decrease the moments in which you tend to go before the beat. About that chord change that we've talked about before, please dedicate some more time to work on it as an isolated exercise.

***I am really working on this playing these chords as isolated exercise again and again. Was also trying to to get a relaxed wrist.

Bending: Unfortunately this lesson has many pitch problems. Your bending is not reaching the correct pitch in most of the cases so this means that you are not paying attention to it, or maybe you are not hearing it. What's exactly the reason? Do you hear the issues while you play the lesson? Do you hear them when you watch this video? Please let me know what you think is the reason and we'll work on this.

***That is really strange as I was expecting the opposite - all bends are at right pitch (more or less) as I paid fully attention to it!
I tuned before and also played the half tone/ full ton exercise to compare as well played as together with Bears Lesson. If I was aware of wrong pitch I would not posted it to you. I really thought this was good. This leaves me somewhat helpless.
Can you give me a one ot two samples where I bended to high or not high enough? I simply do not hear what you hear.

Alternate Picking: This one is on the right track. You need to continue practicing to keep it sounding tight during the whole lesson, and also start to pay attention to dynamics. Check out the original lesson, and see how Bear picks stronger, and also how he accentuates the first of each group of two 8th notes.

OK will do.

Please see above....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tom51: Feb 2 2015, 03:06 PM

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 2 2015, 06:30 PM
Learning Roadie
I will record the lesson this evening again and then listen to it and describe each bend (under/ok/over pitch) and post it for you. So you will know what I think I hear.
Maybe I cannot even hear this correctly...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 2 2015, 11:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Feb 2 2015, 02:30 PM) *
I will record the lesson this evening again and then listen to it and describe each bend (under/ok/over pitch) and post it for you. So you will know what I think I hear.
Maybe I cannot even hear this correctly...

Good idea! Let's go for it to discover what's the real problem.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 3 2015, 08:52 AM
Learning Roadie
I made a new recording. Guitar tuned before, no EQ changes (as in tha last one)on amp, all guitar tone knobs at full. Only some distortion. Hope that is OK so.
No vibrato this time to keep things easier for me.

http://youtu.be/w4Hhwh82Yn0

I listened to it several times, even with guitar in my hand played some notes for comparison, but only found two hafttone bends really out of tune:

at 0:11s the b/c over pitch
at 0:33s the e/f over pitch

I also made a second video where I used the original lesson with bear as backround track. (just to get the tone in my ears)
http://youtu.be/o_i-jgo52Gk

here the last tone (d) ist under pitch...

Please let me know what you hear.

This post has been edited by Tom51: Feb 3 2015, 09:03 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2015, 02:23 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! This is an awesome workout! I found more pitch issues in the first video, but the problem was minimized a lot on the second one. I just noticed that you have issues when you bend on first string, fret 7th, and also when you bend fret 8th on second string, as well as the last bend that you noted. This examples show that you need to continue practicing this technique over the original lesson for at least 4 or 5 days. This will train both your fingers and your ears. Please pay attention to the pitches, and the strength that you have to do.

Great stuff! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 3 2015, 02:29 PM
Learning Roadie
That is really great news Gab. rolleyes.gif

So I will do this lesson the rest of the week most of the time with Bear as backround. Maybe record it for me and make a few with standard backing track plays to compare with. This will consume most mote time this week but I will not forget rhythm and alternate picking...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 4 2015, 01:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Feb 3 2015, 10:29 AM) *
That is really great news Gab. rolleyes.gif

So I will do this lesson the rest of the week most of the time with Bear as backround. Maybe record it for me and make a few with standard backing track plays to compare with. This will consume most mote time this week but I will not forget rhythm and alternate picking...

Sounds like a plan! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 9 2015, 09:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab, here are the new videos from this week. I feel its getting better with all lessons - lets see is you feel the same wink.gif

Rhythm
main focus: feel the groove, relax on right hand and getting chord changes smooth.
http://youtu.be/4Nyhj6OAzxc

Bending and Vibrato
I played along with the original lesson as backround, also added Ben's exercise to get the right pitch with half and fulltone bends in my ears. spend a lot of time with this one.
http://youtu.be/TX_uqBZfdIE

alternate picking,
the one I liked least at the beginning - now I am really comfortable with. This time with an accent on the first of each group of two 8th notes.
when I started this lesson weeks ago my hands were tight at the end of the track - that is no longer the case.
http://youtu.be/rRVXl3UPp7g

It really takes time to get things correctly. When you gave me the 4 lessons I though I would have learned them by the end of your holidays in december! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 9 2015, 02:10 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for these new videos. I can notice that you've been working really hard!

Rhythm: Great work with this one! GREAT work! I can note your goals reflected on this new take. It's great to see you focused and working on short term goals! That's the spirit, congratulations!

Bend and legato: Again, awesome! I note a big improvement comparing this take with the previous one that you uploaded. The first half is very tight! Then, the second half has some little timing pitches, so maybe you could localize this week a bit more on the second half to be able to play the whole thing right, what do you think?

Alternate picking: Good manage of dynamics on this one! I also like this take and I can say that you are very close to master it! Sometimes you have some little timing issues, you tend to play before the beat and this makes some patterns sound irregular, but you are getting close, keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 9 2015, 02:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey that sounds great Gab! So I will check my goals for this week.

Rhythm: sounds that I am close to REC section? Anything else I should do here?

Bending: do you mean with "timing pitches" that my bends where a little out of the correct beat, right?

Alternate Picking: I realized that when the backing track gets louder during the last 2 repetitions I am more closer to the beat that at the beginning.

This post has been edited by Tom51: Feb 9 2015, 04:45 PM

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 9 2015, 05:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Now I think I understand what you mean with "pitch timing"
- how fast I reach the desired bend
- how long I hold and how I let it get back

yes, this changes in the second part. Is that what you mean?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 10 2015, 02:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Feb 9 2015, 10:26 AM) *
Hey that sounds great Gab! So I will check my goals for this week.

Rhythm: sounds that I am close to REC section? Anything else I should do here?

Bending: do you mean with "timing pitches" that my bends where a little out of the correct beat, right?

Alternate Picking: I realized that when the backing track gets louder during the last 2 repetitions I am more closer to the beat that at the beginning.

Timing issues not pitches! My fault! blink.gif I meant that the legato lesson has some little timing issues, just that. Sorry for the error.

And about the rhythm lesson, yes, I think that you are ready to record a take for REC. Just try to relax your body and go with the groove, feel it while you play it. You are a bit tense while you play. If you relax and let your body go with the groove, it will be reflected in your playing. Also, re-check dynamics with the original lesson.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 16 2015, 08:53 AM
Learning Roadie
Hello Gab - here comes my Rhythm take for REC.Worth submitting it?
http://youtu.be/1w1_VI1DqdU

Bending: still the same procedure - I play with the original lesson to get the tone on my ears and do the half-/fullton exercise for some bends. it gets better but I sometimes do not get the right pitch while playing but when I listen to the video ... mad.gif at least it seems I hear most wrong pitches now.
http://youtu.be/lVJR2YrvabQ

Alternate Picking: focus was on tight picking throug the full lesson...
http://youtu.be/rS6bmKG8LmU

Its been nearly 3 months with the three lessosn above. I am really looking forwared learning new lessons. tongue.gif
Cheers Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Feb 16 2015, 08:54 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 17 2015, 09:53 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Thanks for the new stuff.

I think that the rhythm lesson is ready for REC but it doesn't mean that it's a 10 take. It's close but I note that sometimes you go a bit before the beat and some chords don't sound totally clear. I don't think that you are doing anything wrong regarding technique, I only think that you need more time of practice and also starting with a new chords/rhythm lesson while you continue practicing this one. So, if you ask me, post it at REC, it will surely pass and you will receive more valuable feedback.

Bending: yes, you are right there are many pitches issues, but there also also many that are ok, so you are going on the right track. Don't feel bad about it, it takes time, mostly to make our ear fast and precise enough to be consistent with bending. Just continue practicing and please remember to practice diary Ben's youtube video exercises.

Alternate picking: Good job with this one! It's starting to sound tight and clear. It would be helpful for the future to try to avoid that little jump that your right hand does with each up and down pick, and try to make that movement the smaller possible since it can be a limitation for faster picking.

I also agree that you are ready for new lessons! Do you have any in mind?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 18 2015, 10:22 AM
Learning Roadie
Your feedback really helps so much Gab!

Rhythm and Chords
I will post the take to REC and play it daily as warm up.
For the new Rhythm and Chords lesson I feel Barre chords are something very useful to learn - right? There are two lessons from Bear for 6 and 5 string Barre chords. The 5 string lesson will be a good rhythm exercise too. Should I start with one or both together?
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...g-Barre-Chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...g-Barre-Chords/

Bending and Vibrato
Good. Will keep on working on this lesson to get the pitch right add a decent vibrato and hold bends as long as Bear does. That's a lot for me...
Maybe we can add a second lesson to make that more enjoyable?

Like this lesson really. Sounds great and has vibrato and bends.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-Beginner-Solo/

Guess you want me to do this one instead. It seems like all beginners have to go through this.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

Legato
Still play the old take from REC
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...eginner-Legato/
Have not found a new lesson at level 2. Anything you have in mind?

Alternate Picking
Play the existing one until REC too:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ernate-Picking/
Have not find any lesson to add here either.

If you feel I did not make the best choice and there are other lesson to be more useful at my current level of playing - let me know please. There is so many great lessons on GMC. One soon gets to wander here and there an looses focus.

As we never talked about the styles I enjoy - just picked two of them.
Long term goals: Maybe in a year or so I would like to be able to play lessons like this:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...r-style-lesson/

And further years down the road hopefully one day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaAv-n01VAk

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 18 2015, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom, the plan looks great. I think that it's ok if you start with one of the rhythm lessons this week. It's important to divide your practice and be sure that you'll cover each lesson since, each of them has an important technique that need to be mastered. So divide your practice time on blocks with the same duration for each lesson.

As soon as you record the REC take for the alternate picking lesson, it would be good to start with a new one covering this technique.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 23 2015, 09:54 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab, times was used as you said so that each technique gets the same time. I work about 90min during the week and 2hrs at weekend now.

Bending and Vibrato
Feel much more confident with bending and pitches. Where I needed many attempts to get a decent recording at the beginning I need only one or two now. Was trying to find a good tone too.
http://youtu.be/K9QSbvibHvU

Rhythm and Chords
I was really working hard but I did not manage it record the song against the backing track. I am far to slow. Barre chords seems to require a lot of wrist flexibility and strenght. Focus was that all strings ring - no unwanted muting. It will take a wihle to get this to REC level. Hopefully these Barre chords worth all the time???
As this is a diary ...here are some of my attempts. My hand position looks strange.
http://youtu.be/43tgnv0Nd4s

Alternate Picking
http://youtu.be/TrXu4MBuU8w

Also played the legato and rhythm lessons that were submitted to REC as warm up daily.
Cheers Tom!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2015, 01:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Congrats for another week of hard work! I notice that your playing is improving and this is well deserved because you are a hard worker! smile.gif

Here I go with some comments:

Bending: Your bending technique is becoming more precise and this is the video that shows the biggest improvement. Now we have more bends on spot than wrong ones. And the ones that don't reach the correct pitch are close so you should continue working in this way. It seems that half step bending is giving you more problems that whole note ones. Check for example the one at 00:17 or at 00:39, both are not reaching the pitch. Pay attention to the other similar ones.

Chords and rhythm: It's ok! It takes time to get used to new chord shapes. Keep on working in this way, and then try using slower backings and maybe working on just 2 chords as a loop, and slowly incorporate the other ones. Take your time to digest this new stuff.

Alternate picking: Except the last measure where you rushed a bit timing, the other parts are sounding good on this one. I think that you are ready for a new alternate picking lesson. What about one of these?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 23 2015, 06:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Bending: I will try get to get all bends closer to the right pitch. When I listened to the two spots you marked I could hear that too. it just happens during playing. When I just make a halftone bend as exercise it is much better.

Chords: great idea. will start with such loops and expand them.

Alternate Picking: As I submitted the current lesson already twice last december I would like to post this to REC again. Otherwise it looks like I gave up biggrin.gif
OK?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hand-Synch/
I really like this lesson but ist VERY fast. Maybe too fast for me right now, esp for my left hand mad.gif

So better to start with:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/
triplets (is that the right word?) are new for me too. Once I am through it I will take the hand sync lesson.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:14 PM