Your Guitar Misconceptions
Phil66
Oct 27 2017, 08:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
What crazy ideas did you have about guitar when you were thinking about starting to learn?

One of mine was, when I was about 14 years old, I didn't want a gig bag, only a hard case or nothing and I would carry it carefully everywhere. I didn't want a gig bag because putting it in and out would turn the tuning keys and make it out of tune BUT, if I carried it over my shoulder, I would never ever have to tune it once it had been tuned by someone who knew how to tune laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Once I got my first tab book and read "Full bend" or "Half bend", I thought "full" just meant, as far as you can push/pull the string and a "half bend" was half that physical difference rolleyes.gif

What crazy ideas did you have?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 27 2017, 09:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
I don't think I ever had any totally crazy ideas about guitar, to be honest. None that I remember anyway. That said at some point during the years, something clicked with me in regards to singing and hearing notes. Not that I practiced singing since then, but I used to not be able to hear if a note played or sung was the same as another note. Not that I can recognize intervals well, but I used to not even be able to tell if I was singing an E note while playing an E note on the piano. Somewhere along the line I started "feeling" and hearing how they more or less stuck together if it was the same note, almost like hearing the wavelengths. I don't know how to better explain it. I think it was actually during a physics lesson it clicked with me, when our teacher was explaining something about notes, wavelengths etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 27 2017, 09:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I knew if you bend upwards the pitch would go up..... but I also thought if you bend downwards the pitch would go down wacko.gif I remember being a little disappointed that it didnt.

*I guess physics and basic intelligence wasnt my strong suit!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 27 2017, 09:52 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 27 2017, 09:26 PM) *
I knew if you bend upwards the pitch would go up..... but I also thought if you bend downwards the pitch would go down wacko.gif I remember being a little disappointed that it didnt.

*I guess physics and basic intelligence wasnt my strong suit!

That is the stuff of legends Scott. Pisses on mine for humour value. laugh.gif Nice one mate smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 28 2017, 08:26 PM
I remember my first guitar as an adult, I was about 25 years old, it had a floating trem on it, I still have it. Anyway, I finally got it into tune, and suddenly a string broke, I look down at the trem and it was angled at about 45 degrees with the back end in the air laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2017, 08:33 AM
GMC:er
Paul Gilbert had the crazy idea that you could only play down strokes when he started smile.gif He tried to play
Baracuda by Heart and could not. So once he figured out alternate picking it was a huge revelation for him smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 27 2017, 04:52 PM) *
That is the stuff of legends Scott. Pisses on mine for humour value. laugh.gif Nice one mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 29 2017, 12:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 27 2017, 09:52 PM) *

Id like to say I made it up but..... ph34r.gif it genuinely made sense to me at the time smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 28 2017, 08:26 PM) *
I remember my first guitar as an adult, I was about 25 years old, it had a floating trem on it, I still have it. Anyway, I finally got it into tune, and suddenly a string broke, I look down at the trem and it was angled at about 45 degrees with the back end in the air laugh.gif

LOL! sounds like that ibby I had a few years ago rolleyes.gif
That reminds me, when I was about 18 I had a Kramer focus. It also had the floating trem. I had it for about 3 years but I had no trouble at all with the the trem system because I never changed the strings smile.gif I didnt play any lead, just power chords so string breakage was not a thing.
Regret selling it though.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 29 2017, 06:11 PM
I had the simply CRAZY notion that it was going to be quite easy to learn!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 29 2017, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 29 2017, 06:11 PM) *
I had the simply CRAZY notion that it was going to be quite easy to learn!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

I think we're all guilty of that laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 30 2017, 11:39 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 29 2017, 08:15 PM) *
I think we're all guilty of that laugh.gif

Alas, I think you're quite right Phil and now we're all aware of exactly how wrong we were!!!
laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 30 2017, 12:58 PM
Learning Roadie
I started playing aged 9, I didn't have any preconceived ideas, but when I got older aged about 17 when I discovered Joe Satriani and Paul Gilbert I was convinced the reason I couldn't play as fast as them was because they were professional or something that made them different than me (apart from discipline and practice)

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
Nov 3 2017, 09:00 AM
Well... I thought the Gibson Les Paul model was a "lead guitar", in other words I thought some guitars was designed for playing lead and some were designed for playing rhythm. The main reason for this misconception was that on every Kiss album (the early ones) Ace Frehley was listed as "lead guitarist" and he played a Les Paul in the pictures so... erhm. To my defence this was when I was around 10 years old but I still felt a bit ashamed when I asked my guitar teacher about it and got the explanation on how it actually works. wink.gif

This post has been edited by HaveGuitar: Nov 3 2017, 09:01 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2017, 12:23 PM
I used to think I could avoid learning how to palm mute by dampening the strings some how, because I wanted to learn lead guitar only and thought I would never need to play open strings. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 3 2017, 04:18 PM
Legato was cheating tongue.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 3 2017, 04:44 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 3 2017, 07:18 AM) *
Legato was cheating tongue.gif

Hahaa! +1 But I embraced legato as a way to play faster early on in my playing and I am glad that I did. That single technique was something that I worked on the hardest in my early days of playing and learning.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 13 2017, 03:05 AM
Learning Roadie
These are hilarious guys. Especially bending string down to lower pitch.

I thought there was a delay between the time you hit the string and when you heard the note. I had never been around electric guitar. The reason I thought there was a delay was because of the all the out of sync videos on YouTube laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 13 2017, 08:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 29 2017, 07:33 AM) *
Paul Gilbert had the crazy idea that you could only play down strokes when he started smile.gif

I've heard it was up strokes, even.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:09 AM