> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Palm Muting, Lesson By Bear Rose
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 2 ] ** [100.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 2

Gert1973
Dec 1 2022, 04:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Original lesson: Palm Muting by Bear Rose

Kind of proudly present...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 1 2022, 09:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Gert!

Very nice take! I like the fact that we can hear that separation between the parts played with muting and without muting. So, the purpose of the lesson was achieved.

Now I will point out a few things that could sound better.

Be careful of the timing. There are some moments when you hurry too much (0:23 - 0:30).

You still have some tiny pauses between chords. Don't forget what I have told you and practice until you will be able to change the chords at the last moment.

0:47 - 0:51 - In this particular part, you are not on the sweet spot anymore and, because of that, the muting doesn't sound good. The notes ring too much.
If you look close at your right hand and you make a comparison with the way you played the first half of the lesson, you will see that you make two mistakes:
1. Your hand is not positioned in the correct spot and this makes you lose the percussive sound and the short sustain that we need for palm muting.
2. You play this part too delicate and also your hand doesn't add enough pressure to the strings.

Overall, I'm very happy with the result and I think you can start learning a new lesson. So, for the next task (rhythm area), I propose to you this lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...g-Barre-Chords/

Besides the fact that you will learn to manage the barre chords, it will also make your index finger (left hand) get used to a different position (not curved). It will help us in the next lessons, when you will strongly need to keep an additional muting with the left hand.

Congrats on your take. You get an 8 from me.

Keep up your awesome work! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Dec 1 2022, 09:06 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 5 2022, 09:53 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome!

Your right hand progress here is amazing - this was indeed a great lesson choice!

You do still need to work with consistency as pointed out by Monica.

In terms of musicality - the most pressing issues here is to fix the timing fluctuations. There is no real quick fix here - as this is something musicians constantly work on.

However, an important tool you don't want to be without is tapping your foot to the beat. Not only is this a way to make sure your mind is not forgetting about the pulse - but it also tends to fix many subtle micro techniques that make playing sound awesome - but that are very hard to pinpoint.

Keep it up man, you rock 👊

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 24 2023, 09:19 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 8

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:08 PM