Life's A Marathon, Not A Race
Phil66
Mar 23 2015, 02:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 23 2015, 01:41 PM) *
Don't get Phil started on grammar !! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2015, 02:27 AM
GMC:er
How about a metal band named THE GRAMMAR POLICE! smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 23 2015, 09:56 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 24 2015, 10:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 24 2015, 01:27 AM) *
How about a metal band named THE GRAMMAR POLICE! smile.gif

Yep, the songs could all be about correcting bad use of language.

"I couldn't care less" not "I could care less"

"Me too" not "Me to"

"I should have" not "I should of"

That first one makes me get me very annoyed indeed. I hate to say but, I've mostly seen US English speakers perpetuate that misuse of the phrase more than anything and it seems to be spreading sad.gif

I even wrote to David Baldacci because he kept using it incorrectly too. I'm a mild guy but I can't tolerate the abuse of that phrase. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 26 2015, 11:56 PM
Another is "alot" and "abit" and the incorrect use of "I" is prolific! Things like "I've just booked a holiday for my wife and I" grrrrrrrrr
A new one is the repeated use of "Yeah no" when answering a question!!! Listen out for it, horrible!!!!
I need my cot
Goodnight

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 27 2015, 06:05 AM
Hehehehe, yeah smile.gif I hear ya. I've gotten to the point where I just read over those types of things lately, including reading over typos and such. I've become a grammar burnout! smile.gif Of course seeing "Their, There, They're" out of sorts, still gets my nickers in a twist now and again smile.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 24 2015, 05:26 AM) *
Yep, the songs could all be about correcting bad use of language.

"I couldn't care less" not "I could care less"

"Me too" not "Me to"

"I should have" not "I should of"

That first one makes me get me very annoyed indeed. I hate to say but, I've mostly seen US English speakers perpetuate that misuse of the phrase more than anything and it seems to be spreading sad.gif

I even wrote to David Baldacci because he kept using it incorrectly too. I'm a mild guy but I can't tolerate the abuse of that phrase. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 27 2015, 06:19 AM
Oh god, don't start me ...
Here's a few that make me want to petition for concealed carry in Cali.

You can't do something 'on' accident. You do it by accident.

For all intensive purposes v. for all intents and purposes.

What's your guyses opinion? (what's your opinion, guys?)

One in the same v. one and the same.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 27 2015, 06:20 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 27 2015, 10:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 27 2015, 05:19 AM) *

Ouch, I think that one hurts the most! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 27 2015, 05:05 AM) *
Hehehehe, yeah smile.gif I hear ya. I've gotten to the point where I just read over those types of things lately, including reading over typos and such. I've become a grammar burnout! smile.gif Of course seeing "Their, There, They're" out of sorts, still gets my nickers in a twist now and again smile.gif

The thing is, it's bad use of language I don't like but I don't mind typos and genuine grammar errors. My typing is atrocious. I'm always having to go back and correct things because I'm going too fast. smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 27 2015, 11:23 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 24 2015, 09:26 AM) *

LOL! That. Is. Awesome. I wonder how much that pissed him off biggrin.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 27 2015, 05:19 AM) *

LMAO! both of those are just golden! Im going to start using them biggrin.gif especially 'intensive purposes', I like that one a lot. More things should have intensive purposes.
I dunno what you guyses think but if the purpose isnt intensive then Im not interested. smile.gif

the best one I read was 'mine due'. In context, the guy was attepnting to say '... mind you ' LOL!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 27 2015, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 27 2015, 02:23 AM) *
I dunno what you guyses think but if the purpose isnt intensive then Im not interested. smile.gif

Priceless!

Here's another ... "six on one hand, half a dozen on the other".

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 28 2015, 11:16 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 27 2015, 05:05 AM) *

Isn't that "knickers" Todd? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif You see that's the problem; it's probably a typo but may not be unsure.gif
My wife ALWAYS says "cornered off" instead of "cordoned off" grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Had an email in the week and the bloke said it was "unlightly" that he would be able to find what I wanted. Another is "hypochondreact" and another is "last result" instead of "last resort"

The big problem with being such a pedant is that people really really go to town on your typos pretending that they don't believe its a typo and that you don't know how to spell the word mad.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 28 2015, 11:22 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 28 2015, 04:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 27 2015, 06:19 AM) *
Oh god, don't start me .

This is now my new favorite saying

I bet I drive you guys crazy my with lack of punctuation

hows this one, 12 oclock noon

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 28 2015, 05:15 PM
It's funny, lack of punctuation, using all lower case or 'text' style abbreviations (CU later) doesn't bother me at all.

*Speaking of texting ... is it text, text'd or texted for the past tense of text?

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 28 2015, 07:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 28 2015, 04:15 PM) *
*Speaking of texting ... is it text, text'd or texted for the past tense of text?

I would personally use 'texted'

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 28 2015, 08:25 PM
Me two laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 28 2015, 08:41 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I too

cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 28 2015, 09:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 28 2015, 07:25 PM) *
Me two laugh.gif

Me to

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 28 2015, 09:50 PM
That's another one that gets me, the incorrect use of "I". "I've just booked a holiday for my wife and I" grrrrrrrr, "Please take my friend and I home" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
It's fairly easy to work it out if you need to, split the sentence into one for each person. "I've just booked a holiday for my wife"; fine! "I've just booked a holiday for I" nononononononoNO!!!!!
"Please take my friend home"; fine! "Please take I home" nononononononoNO!!!!!

I'm not going to sleep now blink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 2 2015, 09:34 PM
And another one that gets me.

"Happy belated birthday" Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr It's "Belated happy birthday" the birthday isn't belated it's the greeting that is mad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:38 PM