Boosting Up My Solos
jonathan
Oct 16 2009, 12:54 AM
GMC:er
Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide between two types of pedals right now, a booster pedal such as the RC booster from xotic effects or an overdrive pedal like the boss OD-3. I bassically just want to increase the volume of my guitar when playing a solo so it can be louder than the rythm guitar, what do u suggest?

cheers smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 16 2009, 01:00 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
I don't have much experience with the pedals you mentioned, but in a live band setting, to boost my guitar sound for solos I didn't boost the volume - I boosted the mid freqs to bring my guitar sound forward. I'm guessing the RC booster would work along the same principles but I can't give you a definative answer there.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Oct 16 2009, 01:24 AM
Instructor
Making a solo louder" wont always make it stand more out in a livesetting.
As Artemus said, boosting frequencies will probably sound way better. An EQ pedal might do the trick instead of boosters.

But again, there's probably a million opinions on this. But personally i prefer the frequency-boost instead of volume-boost.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 16 2009, 08:45 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (jonathan @ Oct 16 2009, 01:54 AM) *
Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide between two types of pedals right now, a booster pedal such as the RC booster from xotic effects or an overdrive pedal like the boss OD-3. I bassically just want to increase the volume of my guitar when playing a solo so it can be louder than the rythm guitar, what do u suggest?

cheers smile.gif

It's not granted an OD pedal will work the way you expect it to if you're looking to boost solos.

Like Trond I will suggest you get an EQ pedal with a dB boost, like the Boss seven band eq pedal has.
Add mid frequencies and boost the signal some when you play solo, that will make it stick out and raise the volume without distorting the signal.

Try the EQ pedal both infront of the amp and in the loop to see, or hear, what you think is better.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 16 2009, 09:26 AM
Learning Tone Master
I guess it's depending on what kind of music You play, but I have alway's done it by turning down the volume on the guitar itself for backing and then turn it up for a solo. When having two sounds, eg. a "clean" sound and a distorted, You can get three sounds by turning down the guitars volume on the distorted sound, making it "crunchy"....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 16 2009, 03:27 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
For the use you mentioned I think this pedal will do the job very well!

Its the MXR Micro Amp pedal. Many use it live.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=pr.../pip&id=253

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Oct 17 2009, 07:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jonathan @ Oct 16 2009, 01:54 AM) *

cheers smile.gif

+1 with the RC booster :
It's a very transparent 20db+ clean boost and with the 2 band active EQ you could easily find your right tone.
There's a lot of boost pedals and I should recommend you to try some of them with your own material and of course with others pedals you used.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:42 PM