A Big Thank You Ben And Todd
Phil66
Dec 18 2021, 06:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I just want to say a big thank you to Ben (Caelumamittendum) and Todd (Simpson) who have both been trying to help me to understand some theory. They've both been very patient with me knowing that I have a mental block with theory. We've been working via Facebook messenger which wasn't arranged it just happened spontaneously while we were talking about stuff.

It started with Ben's comments about one of my takes here >> https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=794553

Both Todd and Ben have really helped but it was this one paragraph (below), from Ben this morning that gave me a lightbulb moment. I know Gab, Todd and others have probably said something that meant the same thing but it's just the way Ben put it, that finally made it sink in.

I've put it here in case it can help someone else.

When we go from the B minor chord to the A major chord, we're still overall in the key center of B minor, but since the notes from the A major chord can also be found in the B minor scale, we don't have to change to a different key - or even scale/position. We just now use specific notes in the scale for our "main focus notes" (that's a term I just made up!). It just means specific notes from the scale we're in now relate better to the underlying chord. Like the B note you played on B minor, the A note will relate really well to the A major chord - and that A note is in your B minor pentatonic box too, which makes it a lot easier to do smile.gif

This is just staying within the same key (B minor on the collaboration backing track) all throughout, and there's not really much jazzy or "crazy" about it.

So thank you Ben and Todd, also thank you to anyone else who has taken the time to try and help and apologies for me not getting it, you've probably been pulling your hair out rolleyes.gif

Cheers smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 18 2021, 07:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm just happy to say a useful thing once in a while - I'm glad you are here to document it wink.gif

I sent Phil this somewhat unplanned video earlier talking about the subject too before the above message on Facebook.

At 3:44 I accidentaly say "B major chord" instead of "B minor chord", but I guess that happens when it's a bit spontaneous smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 19 2021, 04:15 AM
GMC:er
Happy to help!! You are making very good progress. Keep it up!!! I think you have a good handle on that starter phrase we discussed. I think you can expand on it and start building smile.gif One key thing.

Always and forever, Use a very critical ear and listen to every take you record. Listen more than play. If you do a take, listen to it several times to see what jumps out at you. Listening takes practice, just like playing does.

I'm looking forward to hearing your take!

SOLO DRILL :

This is an example of putting some phrases together that sorta match. It's by linking matching phrases together that I start coming up with solo ideas. This is partly why I focus on teaching licks. The licks are building blocks that can come together to start building a cool solo. In this demo, the key is E, (my fave) and I'm blending Blues and Minor scales. This drill is a simple "solo building" drill that I suggest folks try. it's done "acapella" without any sort of backing track or click track. Just as a practice on trying to link bits of things together. Give it a whrirl if you can and share it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 19 2021, 06:35 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 19 2021, 12:47 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 19 2021, 03:15 AM) *
Always and forever, Use a very critical ear and listen to every take you record. Listen more than play. If you do a take, listen to it several times to see what jumps out at you. Listening takes practice, just like playing does.

Thanks,

I rarely do that until I'm mixing my final take, I guess I'm thinking it will take too much of my practise time, I'll have to try and listen more.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 19 2021, 03:15 AM) *

SOLO DRILL :

This is an example of putting some phrases together that sorta match. It's by linking matching phrases together that I start coming up with solo ideas. This is partly why I focus on teaching licks. The licks are building blocks that can come together to start building a cool solo. In this demo, the key is E, (my fave) and I'm blending Blues and Minor scales. This drill is a simple "solo building" drill that I suggest folks try. it's done "acapella" without any sort of backing track or click track. Just as a practice on trying to link bits of things together. Give it a whrirl if you can and share it smile.gif

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2021, 10:23 PM
BINGO!!! That's the problem getting your way here imho. Waiting to listen back until final mixdown is waiting to late at this point imho. I'm suggesting you make this change, even if it's time consuming as listening is just as important a skill as playing. I really think it's crucial for your progress as a player. This one thing can have a huge impact on your future gains imho. I'm suggesting you listen to everything you play after you hit STOP after each take. Without doing so, you don't get to work your ear relative to what you just played. Listening is just like practicing in that it's a skill that requires repetition.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 19 2021, 07:47 AM) *
Thanks,

I rarely do that until I'm mixing my final take, I guess I'm thinking it will take too much of my practise time, I'll have to try and listen more.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 20 2021, 11:00 PM
Thanks buddy,

I'm busy at the moment, I'm decluttering my man cave/studio, I can't believe the junk I've been hoarding, scart cables, a folder full of restaurant receipts from 2011, ten brand new fully sealed C90 blank cassettes, a tin full of pens that don't work, a guitar string packet with off cuts of guitar strings, a broken microphone clamp, and that's just the tip of the iceburg all tidily stored but wasting space.

Anyway, once it's all sorted, in the new year, I'm taking a new approach, I'm going to stop trying to rush things, I always try to get things done as quickly as possible so that you and Gab can see that I'm working but I'm going to take more time, post more progress videos good or bad and I'm going to start listening more to my composition/improv takes more often and more deeply as you suggest.

On another note, I've sold quite a bit of stuff I don't use and so far it's over £400 so I'm going to put that towards a used JS1000 cool.gif I'll never get a 540R so it'll have to be the JS wink.gif

Thanks for your advice, if you think it will work, I'll give it a go. I am practising but not in a position to give it full attention at the moment. I've got to sort my room, in fact the whole house needs sorting but it's a long term project. You would believe the junk thirty years of marriage in the same house collects. Every draw, every wardrobe is full full full.

I guess I didn't need to go into this much depth but I'm just telling you where I'm at at the moment in case you're wondering why you have seen a video from me in Bootcamp.

Cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 20 2021, 09:23 PM) *
BINGO!!! That's the problem getting your way here imho. Waiting to listen back until final mixdown is waiting to late at this point imho. I'm suggesting you make this change, even if it's time consuming as listening is just as important a skill as playing. I really think it's crucial for your progress as a player. This one thing can have a huge impact on your future gains imho. I'm suggesting you listen to everything you play after you hit STOP after each take. Without doing so, you don't get to work your ear relative to what you just played. Listening is just like practicing in that it's a skill that requires repetition.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2021, 02:09 AM
NO worries! smile.gif I got sucked in my home studio when we first moved in about a year ago. It was a bit hellish to be honest. I had forgotten just how many cables were involved and such. It was a huge pain and took weeks. Finally sorted it. smile.gif

I think you'll be in great shape once you sort your out as well! It always helps me to have a sorted place to create and play guitar. smile.gif

I do think that putting as much time in to listening as you put in to practicing is the secret sauce to unlock your potential. I think you are correct on moving to fast towards a given lick/drill/lesson, just to complete it. I understand the need for progress that can be measured. Still, it's the quality of progress that matters, not the speed of progress imho smile.gif It will be a big change to be sure and feel like a pain in the neck for a while. I do think it will transform you playing.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 20 2021, 06:00 PM) *
Thanks buddy,

I'm busy at the moment, I'm decluttering my man cave/studio, I can't believe the junk I've been hoarding, scart cables, a folder full of restaurant receipts from 2011, ten brand new fully sealed C90 blank cassettes, a tin full of pens that don't work, a guitar string packet with off cuts of guitar strings, a broken microphone clamp, and that's just the tip of the iceburg all tidily stored but wasting space.

Anyway, once it's all sorted, in the new year, I'm taking a new approach, I'm going to stop trying to rush things, I always try to get things done as quickly as possible so that you and Gab can see that I'm working but I'm going to take more time, post more progress videos good or bad and I'm going to start listening more to my composition/improv takes more often and more deeply as you suggest.

On another note, I've sold quite a bit of stuff I don't use and so far it's over £400 so I'm going to put that towards a used JS1000 cool.gif I'll never get a 540R so it'll have to be the JS wink.gif

Thanks for your advice, if you think it will work, I'll give it a go. I am practising but not in a position to give it full attention at the moment. I've got to sort my room, in fact the whole house needs sorting but it's a long term project. You would believe the junk thirty years of marriage in the same house collects. Every draw, every wardrobe is full full full.

I guess I didn't need to go into this much depth but I'm just telling you where I'm at at the moment in case you're wondering why you have seen a video from me in Bootcamp.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 21 2021, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I haven't moved my desk yet, not until the new year but I've found a few cables that go nowhere. When the desk comes out, the spiders web of cables is going, it's what happens when you leave a desk in situ and just keep adding bits rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 21 2021, 01:09 AM) *
NO worries! smile.gif I got sucked in my home studio when we first moved in about a year ago. It was a bit hellish to be honest. I had forgotten just how many cables were involved and such. It was a huge pain and took weeks. Finally sorted it. smile.gif

I think you'll be in great shape once you sort your out as well! It always helps me to have a sorted place to create and play guitar. smile.gif

That, right there, scares me to be honest. The only way I can listen as much as I practise is to halve my practise time.

I guess I don't record all of the time though, so maybe just when I'm composing/improvising would be the best time to listen to each take. What do you think?

Cheers

I do think that putting as much time in to listening as you put in to practicing is the secret sauce to unlock your potential.

I have this weird personality trait where when I start something I like to get to the end. Like in Tomb Raider, I didn't care about exploring, I just wanted to complete the game, sometimes buying the book so that I could get to the next part after trying and failing a couple of times.

I need to conquer that trait right now.....somehow. I need some kind of book to read to help me I think.

I think you are correct on moving to fast towards a given lick/drill/lesson, just to complete it. I understand the need for progress that can be measured. Still, it's the quality of progress that matters, not the speed of progress imho smile.gif

Thanks for everything buddy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 21 2021, 09:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 22 2021, 03:16 AM
Only bits you hit the record button on. This may push you toward recording a bit less at first since you know it means taking time to hear it back. it will balance itself out imho as you go forward. when we record, we don't actually hear what was played until we listen back. Very often, what we hear during the recording is not the same thing we hear when listening back. We can make mistakes that we might not even notice until playback.

I do understand your reticence on this, as it will take a bit of time away from actual practice. Try to think of it as part of your practice since that is really what it is. Your ears are a bit behind your fingers at this point in terms of practice. Putting some practice on your ear by listening back will help you to make the gains you want to make imho. As your ear improves from listening, you'll start hearing the non recorded bits better. It will change how you hear a backing, how you hear music, your ear will just get better as you will have been engaged in critical listening of your own playing more than before. smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 21 2021, 04:36 PM) *
Yeah, I haven't moved my desk yet, not until the new year but I've found a few cables that go nowhere. When the desk comes out, the spiders web of cables is going, it's what happens when you leave a desk in situ and just keep adding bits rolleyes.gif

That, right there, scares me to be honest. The only way I can listen as much as I practise is to halve my practise time.

I guess I don't record all of the time though, so maybe just when I'm composing/improvising would be the best time to listen to each take. What do you think?

Cheers

I have this weird personality trait where when I start something I like to get to the end. Like in Tomb Raider, I didn't care about exploring, I just wanted to complete the game, sometimes buying the book so that I could get to the next part after trying and failing a couple of times.

I need to conquer that trait right now.....somehow. I need some kind of book to read to help me I think.

Thanks for everything buddy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 22 2021, 03:17 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 22 2021, 06:44 AM
Thanks buddy, that's a good point we'll made cool.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 22 2021, 02:16 AM) *
Only bits you hit the record button on. This may push you toward recording a bit less at first since you know it means taking time to hear it back. it will balance itself out imho as you go forward. when we record, we don't actually hear what was played until we listen back. Very often, what we hear during the recording is not the same thing we hear when listening back. We can make mistakes that we might not even notice until playback.

I do understand your reticence on this, as it will take a bit of time away from actual practice. Try to think of it as part of your practice since that is really what it is. Your ears are a bit behind your fingers at this point in terms of practice. Putting some practice on your ear by listening back will help you to make the gains you want to make imho. As your ear improves from listening, you'll start hearing the non recorded bits better. It will change how you hear a backing, how you hear music, your ear will just get better as you will have been engaged in critical listening of your own playing more than before. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:32 AM