Advice From A New Guy?
JTaylor
Dec 27 2011, 10:50 AM
Apprentice Roadie
Hey everybody!
I'm not really sure how to word this but I will give it my best shot. I picked up my first guitar in 1988 and have played with them for the better part of two decades. Notice I said "played with" not "played." During that time, I learned a couple of things, the most when I was in the Marines and stationed on Okinawa in 1990 and was friends with some guys that were very good. There are some things I can play pretty proficiently but lead is not one of them. To put it lightly, I suck at it and have always avoided it like the plague.
I joined GMC a few weeks ago and, not knowing where to start, I decided to start from the very beginning with Andrew Cockburn. I am now on Bear Rose's series #14. Playing in front of anyone makes me extremely nervous (even after 8 years of being married, I still get nervous playing guitar in front of my wife) and being in front of a camera is just as bad if not worse. However, I have decided that I am going to learn how to play and I am going to get comfortable playing in front of people. I have submitted two REC's, both the same lesson as it is one I am struggling with and I have also put a video on this board of the same lesson.
I did not pass the first time and I may or may not pass this time. However, that is okay! My submitting these videos, I am getting great feedback and advice which I am doing my best to follow. If I do not put my playing out there, I could be in la-la land and thinking it is fine when, in truth, it is not. Eventually, it will help me get over my paralyzing fear of playing for people.
To those who are too scared to submit their playing, I would advise you to re-consider. The instructors are here to help and they cannot help you if they cannot see what you are doing. If you do not receive a passing grade, it's okay! I do not consider any of my attempts failures, as long as I am learning something. I have tried the whole "self-taught" thing for many years and, finally, I am done with that. I want professional advice and judgement and that is what I get with my REC's. Again, I would like to encourage you to submit a REC. You cannot fix something until you find out what is wrong! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JD_
Dec 27 2011, 11:09 AM
Learning Roadie
That's it mate.... It's the only way to get better.

No point sitting around at home playing with bad technique and horrible tone.... The REC program is the best feature on here and it will help 'guide' you on the musical path you choose. Everyone should be a part of the REC program IMO.

All the best cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JaxN4: Dec 27 2011, 11:10 AM

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 27 2011, 12:21 PM
Instructor
Hey man! Welcome to the site! That's a great advice to beginners and new guys here! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 27 2011, 06:49 PM
Instructor
Hey JT, this is exactly the way I view the REC.. you've echoed my sentiments perfectly. Any feedback is valuable. Passing all the time is great, but if there's no points of improvement to consider then it's just a 'well done mate' kind of thing which is good for self esteem but there's no information to take with it. I believe REC is there to help people get better smile.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Dec 27 2011, 07:06 PM
GMC:er
You cannot fix something until you find out what is wrong!

I totally agree, not passing shouldn't be viewed as a failure at all.

This post has been edited by dark dude: Dec 27 2011, 07:06 PM

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
JD_
Dec 27 2011, 07:11 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (dark dude @ Dec 27 2011, 06:06 PM) *
I totally agree, not passing shouldn't be viewed as a failure at all.

Soooo True man. I did a take of one of Jonathan's lessons a while back, and the feedback I got from that lesson was very helpfull, made me go back and examine phrasing and vibrato more carefully.... It all hopefully leads to the "BREAK THROUGH" moments when your almost there, then....bang, a lil advice and a nudge in the right direction and you got it smile.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 27 2011, 07:18 PM
GMC:er
Wise words man! and welcome smile.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 27 2011, 10:05 PM
Instructor
yeah, I think the rec takes are such a valuable way to receive honest feedback,

You shouldn't wait till you have things perfect, just submit and correct

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 27 2011, 10:51 PM
Instructor
Wise words man, indeed REC program offers a change to see what are good and bad sides in your playing. Good advice for everyone! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 27 2011, 10:54 PM
Instructor
Well, it's very hard to manage to make two steps back and look in the mirror smile.gif I think this is the miracle of the REC biggrin.gif it's your mirror smile.gif if you don't look sharp enough yet, no trouble, go back and arrange things a bit more until you are shining in the mirror!

+Quote Post
Blister
Dec 28 2011, 03:17 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Very well said!
The instructors are here to help and they cannot help you if they cannot see what you are doing.

I've been at GMC almost a year & I have had this little nagging voice in the back of my head (I have a feeling it might be Ben wink.gif ) telling me "it's time to do a REC, man!" Like you said, the instructors can't help us if they can't hear us!

Uh oh ohmy.gif , now I've done it...I have said something on the forum...I mean...the forum is like concrete...once it's there, it's there forever...now I REALLY do have to do a REC!!! smile.gif See you on the REC board!

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
Dec 28 2011, 04:30 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Blister @ Dec 28 2011, 02:17 AM) *
Uh oh ohmy.gif , now I've done it...I have said something on the forum...I mean...the forum is like concrete...once it's there, it's there forever...now I REALLY do have to do a REC!!! smile.gif See you on the REC board!

Gary

haha yep you do now bro haha

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 28 2011, 04:37 AM
Instructor
Recording yourself is the best way to improve. Good choice coming here.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 28 2011, 03:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Dec 28 2011, 02:17 AM) *
Very well said!

I've been at GMC almost a year & I have had this little nagging voice in the back of my head (I have a feeling it might be Ben wink.gif ) telling me "it's time to do a REC, man!" Like you said, the instructors can't help us if they can't hear us!

Gary

Heheheheheehehe, there's no escape now !!!! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 28 2011, 03:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Great words!! Now all I gotta do is record a take. I do admit I tend to wait until it's about perfect before submitting.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:35 PM