2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Buying A New Guitar
superize
Dec 8 2009, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I have decided to buy a new guitar soon and i have looked at som options.

Schecter Hellraiser
Epiphone Les Paul standard or custom(Could someone tell me whats the difference between theese two)

I have heard that schecters are great for metal playing and that they will suit my style well bu i have always wanted a les paul since they are more versistible......

I am not sure i will be able to play them before i buy that depends if they have them in my local guitar shops

My budget is about 1000 dollars.

Any other suggestions are welcome aswell

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 8 2009, 02:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
On the Real gibson the Standard and Customs are extremely diffrent regarding wood quality and build quality (Customs are handmade)

On the Epiphone Les Paul it comes down to the details as the woods and crafting are the same. They only differ in their looks so it's up to you if you want a Standard with a bust top or a Custom with double binding, headstock inlay and so on...
I would swap the pickups on the Epiphone to get a better sound (especially for metal). Great guitars for the price!!

Other good (I assume Metal guitars) would be an ESP LTD EX 401 or an Epiphone Les Paul from the Prophecy series (Metal Epiphones with EMG and thinner necks!!)

http://www.thomann.de/se/espltd_ex400bk.htm

http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_les_paul_custom_ex_me.htm

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 8 2009, 06:40 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
With that budget you are close to a Gibson LP Studio which is much better than the epiphones. I'd save a bit more and go for the real thing.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 8 2009, 06:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 8 2009, 06:40 PM) *
With that budget you are close to a Gibson LP Studio which is much better than the epiphones. I'd save a bit more and go for the real thing.

Couldn't said it better myself! +1

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 8 2009, 07:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
Well a Gibson Les Paul studio is more like 1500$ but you guys are right: They are an incredible lot better than the Epiphones!!

Soundwise, the LP Studio kills every competitor in this price segment, just listen to Gabriel Leopardis Studio and what awesome lessons he has done with it and how versatile it is!!!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 8 2009, 07:15 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Or, you could go nuts at ebay with a 1000$ for hand wink.gif

If you don`t mind buying second hand, you might end up scoring a way better guitar than you`d imagine for your bucks

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 8 2009, 09:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Dec 8 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Or, you could go nuts at ebay with a 1000$ for hand wink.gif

If you don`t mind buying second hand, you might end up scoring a way better guitar than you`d imagine for your bucks

10000% agree on this one.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Dec 8 2009, 10:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Go for the les paul studio =)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 11 2009, 01:35 AM
Instructor
Les paul's are awesome, go for that one

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Frankster
Dec 11 2009, 04:35 PM
GMC:er
Hi!

I bought this Gibson Les Paul Studio two years ago
http://www.musik-service.de/gibson-les-pau...95757762de.aspx

It sounds and looks really great!

This post has been edited by Frankster: Dec 11 2009, 04:56 PM

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 11 2009, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I have started to think in other terms now....

I got a Jackson js30 warrior that i really like so i am considering getting the Jackson wrxt warrior....

http://www.musikshopen.com/jackson-wrxt-wa...cPath=22_31_194

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 12 2009, 02:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
The WRXT is not really a great improvement on your current gear, it not as good as a hellraiser and not remotely as good as a used Gibson LP Studio (cheap tremolo, chepa pickups, cheap hardware...)

If it has to be a Jackson Warrior, atleast go for the WRMG - it has EMG pickups, better tone wood and hardware!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
sted
Dec 12 2009, 10:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
As your into your metal mate why dont you consider a seven or even an eight string? A guy had an agile eight string weapon at a seminar i went to today, whilst not my taste he was getting some seriously metal tonage out of that thing!

Just a thought!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Dec 13 2009, 04:32 AM
There are tons of great guitar, but you have to decide what you want to play. If you want to go metal, you should definitly go for the Schecter Hellraiser. But if you want to go on other styles, you should go for the second hand Gibson LP Studio

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Dec 14 2009, 08:45 AM
Go for the Hellraiser. Better than an Epiphone, more bang for the buck than an Gibson. Better than a Gibson imo. Why would a Les Paul be more versatile?

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 14 2009, 08:53 AM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Dec 13 2009, 11:45 PM) *
Go for the Hellraiser. Better than an Epiphone, more bang for the buck than an Gibson. Better than a Gibson imo. Why would a Les Paul be more versatile?

Hellraisers are certainly not more bang for the buck than gibson. hellraisers from from $400-600 New. If you decide to upgrade the pick ups, that is another $100-200. you will need to take your hellraiser to a plek to get the frets as nice as the ones on a gibson...add another $300..do not get me started on korean quality VS MIJ or MIA...the list goes on and on.

regular gibsons are great deals...you can always choose to pay more for bells and whistles though.

as for versatility..gibsons sound great for everything. I never cared much for them, but i certainly respect them. I know many Death metal players who play on the same gibson as many blues and jazz players.

and in my honest opinion, there is no such thing as a guitar better for this genre or that genre. anyone can play anything on any guitar. Strats can do metal...even telecasters can do metal...ive seen ibanez guitars do jazz..it is all about the player, not the guitar.

second hand gibson is the way to go in this case. throw down the money...get a guitar that will last you for years, and go home happy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Marc_Maiden: Dec 14 2009, 08:53 AM

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
sted
Dec 14 2009, 09:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Lets just make this clear mate, if you like the Les Paul sound (Who doesnt) then you have to buy a Les Paul, I know it sounds obvious but trust me, I have owned two and NOTHING ELSE will give you the same sound.
Thats not to say a PRS SC245, my own Lag, Schecter etc dont sound great, they do, but they arent les pauls! And therein lies the problem, because the method of construction is what gives them that sound, but is also what put me off keeping mine, I love the tone but I just couldnt click with mine so it had to go.
My own personal opinion is that there would be better axes for your style of metal but the LP will be right up there with any guitar on thumping rock tones and some drop tune shizzle, either way mate you end up with a fantastic, if a little unwieldy, guitar!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 14 2009, 09:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
Since you obviously don't know what to get I would suggest to get to a BIG music store and try stuff out.

I don't know where you live and if there are such stores arround but I would rather make a 1 day roadtrip with a couple of hundred miles to a guitar store to find my dream guitar then buying something from afar that some dudes on the internet said it was best for me^^

Seriously though, try to travel to a store by any means neccessary! Do what Hammerfall tell you to do!!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 14 2009, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I will go to my nearsest music stores on saturday and there i will try out as many different guitars as i can but it is not that big music store so they might not have all the guitars i want to try out

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Frederik
Dec 14 2009, 10:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Try a LP Tokai Japan, that should fit ur price range, and that a nice instrument!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:56 AM